13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 2:22 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip

AlbinoSmurf1185

Hi,

I have Premiere Elements 4 and have been using it for years. I just captured a 15 minute movie and it will only play the first 66 seconds of the video. It shows the entire 15 minutes in the timeline, shows the file being 0.99GB, but simply goes black after 66 seconds. How do I rectify this? I have changed the "Still Image Duration" to 100000 frames just to try that and it did not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
          A.T. Romano Level 7

albinosmurf

What are the properties of the video file that you imported into your Premiere Elements 4 project? A DVD-VIDEO video file (vob) by any chance?

Or, are you doing DV data capture firewire into the Premiere Elements 4 capture windows? Please detail.

What was the purpose of experimenting with the preference Still Image Duration when a video file is involved. Did you just want to see

if you could import a still with a 55 minutes plus duration into the project without issue?

Please describe your computer resources. What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 4 running on?

We will be watching for further details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
            AlbinoSmurf1185 Level 1

Thanks for the prompt response.

Computer is quad-core AMD at 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM on Windows 7. I have had no real problems to this point with any functions of the software.

I only changed the still duration only to see if it might have an effect on the video rendering since nothing else had worked; it was a shot in the dark. The file itself is an MPEG2, but I also tried AVI and the same result. .VOB files never work.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
              A.T. Romano Level 7

AlbinoSmurf

Thanks for the reply with additional details.

Your Premiere Elements 4 is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system, with all the computer resource limitations of 32 bit system, example

maximum installed RAM = 4 GB of which 3.2 to 3.0 GB or less of that are available. So, that is why I ask about computer operating system resources. But, you say that this is a "it worked before but not now" issue.

You have a MPEG2 file, about 1 GB and 15 minutes duration, and you are getting only 66 seconds and black video after that from it on the Premiere Elements 4 Timeline.

Please look at the computer resources and possible computer optimization.

Also, video card/graphics card driver version updating

Antivirus inteference

Can you import and work with a MPEG2 file successfully when the file size is far less than 1 GB?

Please review the above and then let us determine if any of it targets your situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
                AlbinoSmurf1185 Level 1

The graphics card is a Radeon HD 7950 with all drivers up-to-date. The computer BIOS and all other stats are up-to-date as well, so no problem there.

I disabled the Antivirus and that did not work either.

I am able to work with other, smaller files (the one I opened after you suggested this was 500MB, but only 35 seconds), but still cannot with this one. The video in question, however, will work and will load within other programs, older programs and those with far less features than the Premiere Elements.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
                  AlbinoSmurf1185 Level 1

As for the optimization, I run no bloatware on the machine and the only program that uses any resources regularly is the antivirus. CPU usage never eclipses 12%, 5% with antivirus disabled. Registry is cleaned once a month, disk is cleaned up once a week and is defragged at the same time.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

AlbinoSmurf

What is the resolution and file extension of the MPEG2 1 GB file (15 minutes duration, but only 66 seconds before black video sets in)?

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
                      AlbinoSmurf1185 Level 1

The file is 720X480 running at 29.97 FPS per the software. And yes, when it reaches the 66 seconds, it cuts to black and the arrow which follows the clip as it plays stops moving. I can add media if I want, but it never adds the rest of the initial clip.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

AlbinoSmurf

Thanks for the replies.

Recapping...You have a file that uses MPEG2 video compression, is 720 x 480 @ 29.97 frames per second, and has a 15 minutes duration. Only 66 seconds of it plays back with in Premiere Elements 4, the remainder of the footage presents black video.

At the onset you mentioned "capturing this video" with regard to its origins. What specific program did you use to capture  this MPEG2  file? And, when it imports into the program, what does it have for a file extension, .mpg or something else?

Right now we have that you can work with one of this files if less than 1 GB in duration. That would suggest a computer resource issue. But, further look

into the "capturing program" may reveal its export format to be at the core of the issue. I remember that type of situation in some older thread.

Please let us look at the "capturing program" to rule it in or out of the problem. And, then we will decide where we go from here.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
                          AlbinoSmurf1185 Level 1

The video was captured with Instant DVD Recorder using a Pinnacle Dazzle DVC100; this has not failed me until now. It captures in .VOB, but since these files have never worked in Adobe, I convert them to MPEG2 using ArcSoft Media Converter. Premiere Elements is the only program that will not play the entire piece, even though it imports with a .mpg extension. Media Player, QuickTime and all other programs have no problems.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

albinoSmurf

Thanks for the additional details.

If you say that your workflow worked before but not now for this particular DVD-VIDEO video file, an easy answer would be that something happened to this one particular original recording as it went through conversions - from DVD-VIDEO VTS_01_1.VOB (Instant DVD Recorder using Pinnacle Dazzle DVC100) to MPEG2.mpg (ArcSoft Media Converter).

On this one, is the original file still available (the VTS_01_1.VOB)? If so, please try to import that into Premiere Elements 4 with Add Media/Files and Folders  using All Files. I have no problems importing this .VOB into Premiere Elements 4. Or, if you must, just rename the file extension in the  file name of the VTS_01_1.VOB to VTS_01_1.mpg.

Please let us know if you have done all that already. If not, please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
                              AlbinoSmurf1185 Level 1

I tried the .VOB it does not work. . As I stated, .VOB files have NEVER worked on the Premiere Elements. And why would the file work on other programs if it was a corrupt file?

I tried changing the file and it does not change anything.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
                                AlbinoSmurf1185 Level 1

When trying to open the containing folder with the .VOB file, it cannot find it under "All Supported Files". When changed to "All Files", the file is visible but when imported it just shows the yellow film strip background with an empty file. I wish .VOB worked, else I would not have had to purchase additional software.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 4 does not add entire video clip
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

AlbinoSmurf

Thanks for the reply.

Before posting 10, I double checked my Premiere Elements 4 with a VTS_01_1.VOB (All FIles set) and had no problems importing that into

a NTSC DV Standard Premiere Elements 4 project. But, it was a quick test in which the file had a file size of abut 500 MB. You report that

your file has a file size of about 1000 MB. Later tonight I will try again with the max sized file of 1000 MB and determine if that makes a

difference in whether or not the VOB imports completely and works.

I have found that it is not surprising for files to "play" in players and not work in a "video editor" like Premiere Elements with its designed in

programming.

Not sure if you said before....but do you have any of the older MPEG2.mpg that worked for you before using this same workflow to generate

them? If so, they still work in 4?

But let me see if the file's size could suddenly be factoring into your workflow.

ATR