5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 10:11 AM by Joel Cherney

Breaking characters

raghugada Level 1

Hi,

Can u please specify the characters list where indesign breaks characters?

• 1. Re: Breaking characters
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Can you elaborate what you mean?

• 2. Re: Breaking characters
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Words break according to the rules in the chosen dictionary for the assigned language, and the hyphenation settings you've set, IF and this is a big if, your fonts are Unicode compliant.

You already know that at least one of your fonts is NOT Unicode compliant, and has a character mapped to the underscore position, so it breaks incorrectly.

• 3. Re: Breaking characters
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I feel like I have a seat-of-the-pants understanding of where ID will break Latin-script text - e.g. at a semicolon, whether or not that semicolon is followed by a space - but I've never seen a canonical list. This is frustrating because there are plenty of places where I'd rather it not break when using a custom-encoding non-Unicode font, but InDesign just won't listen to my pleas.

I often use a GREP style to apply No Break to all non-space characters, but frustratingly, the Adobe Paragraph Composer will still break at a valid slash with No Break applied all around if it "thinks" that doing so would lead to a nice rag. Drives me up the wall. Often, using soft returns and the SIngle-Line Composer is the only way to get your Lao/Khmer/Hindi/Nepali/etc. layout to break correctly.

• 4. Re: Breaking characters
                raghugada Level 1

Hi,

U mean its better to use single line composer for these languages Lao/Khmer/Hindi/Nepali/etc.  ?

I am searching wheather indesign can list out the breaking characters for a word ? I have found underscore and backslash where it breaks the words ? Are there any other than this

• 5. Re: Breaking characters
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What I mean is that: true Unicode fonts ought to be typeset using the World-Ready Paragraph Composer, but if you're using old custom-encoding fonts where the glyph looks like a Lao tone mark or a Devanagari vowel or whatever, but is actually encoded as something else, then it's a little easier to use the Adobe Single-Line Composer.

I know of no such list, unfortunately. I can add to the list:

Any hyphen or dash, except for the Non-Breaking Hyphen

Any colon, semicolon, exclamation point, question mark, or comma, even if not followed by a space

I think any bracket or parenthesis, but I am not at my computer and can't check my memory