5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 10:44 AM by A.T. Romano

Copy pasted text block split over different video tracks remain linked

JanLonder

I was trying to figure out a way to fade in and fade out text and came up with the following solution:

This works:

- Start out with a blank project, add a movie clip (Video 1 track)

- Add a Default Text block to Video 2 track, accept the default text, just apply FadeInByLine animation

- Add a Default Text block to Video 3 track, accept the default text, just apply the FadeOutByLine animation

- Re-position the Text block on Video 3 track so it starts where the text block on Video track 2 ends

Play your movie, the text fades in and out as it should. So what if you don't want to have the text in the centre and you want it to have a different color or font or style?

Try this and this is where things get weird:

- Start out with a blank project, add a movie clip (Video 1 track)

- Add a Default Text block to Video 2 track and change the font color, also reposition the text somewhere to the lower left corner of the screen, then apply the FadeInByLine animation

- Now, you don't want to repeat all these formatting steps all over again, so duplicate the text block by copy pasting it (it will be pasted on the same track, so Video 2 track)

- Now drag the duplicated text block from the Video 2 track to the Video 3 track

- Re-position the Text block on Video 3 track so it starts where the text block on Video track 2 ends

- Apply the FadeOutByLine animation to the text block on Video 3 track

Play your movie and you will see that both text block have the FadeOutByLine animation. If you change the animation style of one block, the same style will be applied to the other block. They remain linked to each other.

Suggestions anyone?

• 1. Re: Copy pasted text block split over different video tracks remain linked
          A.T. Romano Level 7

janionder

For now I am assuming that you have Premiere Elements 11, 12, or 13 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

You have overlooked a fundamental principle of the Titler. You cannot copy a title, edit the copy without your edits in the copy appearing in the original title.

What you need to do is right click the original in the Project Assets and select Duplicate. Duplicate will have a different name than the original.. Drag that Duplicate to the Timeline

and make your edits in it without simultaneously changing the text in the original to match your edits in the Duplicate.

Why are you not just adding a Fade In and Fade Out for the title rather than applying text animations the way you have?

With the Titler closed, right click the title on the Timeline, select Fade, and then Fade In Video. Then, right click the title again, this time Fade Out Video.

You will note two sets of white dots on the orange band that goes through the title clip, one set at the beginning of the title and another set at the end of the title. The are Opacity keyframes. You can adjust those "dots" with the mouse cursor  to customize your fades.

If you do not use the Duplicate in Project Assets to avoid titles all ending up with the same changes, then just rename a title in Project Assets.

Please review and consider and then let us know if any of that works for you. Any questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Copy pasted text block split over different video tracks remain linked
            JanLonder Level 1

Thank you so much for this explanation. I was not aware you could do a fade in and fade out that way on text.

I did not however find the two white dots you are referring to (I have fade in and fade out enabled on the image below). Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

Quick view

dots.png

Expert view

dots2.png

I am using the trial version of Adobe Premiere Elements 13.

Thanks again,

Jan

• 3. Re: Copy pasted text block split over different video tracks remain linked
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jan

Thanks for the reply.

If you have applied Fade In Video and Fade Out Video and do not see the two white dots in the beginning of the clip and the two white dots in the end of the clip, then right click the Timeline clip and select "Show Clip Keyframes/then Opacity/then Opacity.

You should now see the 4 white dots (the first and last are hard to see, but they are there).

TueKeyframes.JPG

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 4. Re: Copy pasted text block split over different video tracks remain linked
                JanLonder Level 1

Hello and thank you for your reply.

The screenshot you supplied revealed that I was looking in the wrong place. I was looking for these dots in the timeline where I placed my text block but they are only visible in a timeline that contains video.

I have another minor question about the Fade In Fade Out option.

In the Quick workspace, when I right click and select fade, I get the three options and checkmark in front of each fade option which allows me to turn each fade option on and off.

In the Expert workspace, when I right click and select fade, I get two options and no checkmarks. How can I see which fading option is enabled and how can I toggle fading options on or off?

Thanks,

Jan

• 5. Re: Copy pasted text block split over different video tracks remain linked
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jan

Thanks for the reply

Expert workspace

ToggleOnOff.JPG

Quick workspace

You are still using the same Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Opacity Panel expanded as in the Expert workspace.

ATR