4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2015 6:04 PM by fmeist3r

elements organizer still shows deleted files as duplicates

fmeist3r

I recently imported photos from a phone. Didn't like how i had chosen to organize the photos in my pictures folder so i deleted them assuming i could re-import, this time without creating subfolders. Unfortunately when i tried re-importing it shows (423 duplicates excluded). How can i change this to see that they are no longer duplicates? The my pictures folder is empty as well as the recycle bin and it still shows as having the 'duplicates'.

Running on windows 8.1

• 1. Re: elements organizer still shows deleted files as duplicates
          A.T. Romano Level 7

fmeist3r

What version of Premiere Elements and its Elements Organizer do you have running on Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit)?

Your question suggests that you may have posted in the wrong forum. Your thread got posted in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum (video).

I suspect that you wanted the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum (photo editing).

Photoshop Elements

Generalizing for now, if you need to try to find the duplicates to remove them, please explore

Elements Organizer/Find Menu/By Visual Searches/Duplicate Photos.

For the overall considerations on avoiding duplicates in the Elements Organizer, please refer to the discussion in this Elements Organizer Mac thread

on the subject and in particular the comments of the Adobe employee Brett N.

Elements: How do I Avoid Duplicate Photo Imports on Mac?

There are probably more information on this in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum whose link appears above.

ATR

• 2. Re: elements organizer still shows deleted files as duplicates
            fmeist3r Level 1

Only reason i didn't post to the photoshop forum was because I wasn't trying to edit anything yet :O the issue was that although the photos were deleted from my local pictures folder, elements keeps them in its own which needed to be erased also. Does this mean it's using twice the hard drive space for the photos:O

• 3. Re: elements organizer still shows deleted files as duplicates
              A.T. Romano Level 7

fmeist3r

Thanks for the follow up.

In the absence of program version and operating system, I will generalize and use Windows details if specific details are needed for the comments made,

When you import photos into the Photoshop Elements Editor, Premiere Elements Editor, or Elements Organizer, all you get are copies of the

originals that are found at your chosen hard drive save location. And, the copies need to trace back to those originals wherever they were when

first imported into one of these programs.

In the Elements Organizer, you can delete photos from just the Elements Organizer catalog or from the Elements Organizer catalog and hard drive at the same time.

So, if you delete the originals just from their hard drive save locations, you are likely to get media disconnect messages when you go to use one of

the files represented by the copies in one of these programs. In the case of the Elements Organizer, its information is stored in a catalog which can be

found in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Catalogs

The Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum should have very good insights for you on this matter.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: elements organizer still shows deleted files as duplicates
                fmeist3r Level 1

ATR,

I have the Adobe Photoshop elements 13 & Premiere elements 13 bundle for windows and yes 64bit

Found the program data, useful config info there as well as xml's, thank you!

I'll certainly look at the Photoshop elements forum in the future! Sorry didn't realize the difference

after deleting the files from the catalog (didn't have to delete from the program data just went to the desktop icon) and now when i plug in the devices it treats all the photos as new and I can successfully import them without selecting "organize into folders".

Thanks a bunch mate!!

fmeist3r