4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 10:34 AM by bogiesan

Proper way to combine multi day timelapse

BSchwizer

Am currently new to Adobe community of products.  I have a summers worth of time lapses of a house being built.  They are organized by folders named by date.  I have already processed the photos through Lightroom for some very light color edits, cropping and to make sure all days have the same vertical orientation.

I have used Adobe After effects to combine a test batch of pictures into a video of one day just to see if it would work and I have been successful in using Warp Stabilizer VFX in getting a pretty smooth output (camera was not 100% solid)

What is the best most efficient way to process about 150  days worth of time lapse photos into a video?  Should I import each day (folder) into AE as an individual batch of pictures and then export it to a daily video and then combine those daily videos into one longer video or should I be adding all the folders to Ae right off the bat and then exporting them as one?  I am thinking that if I make one large project, it will be easier to make smooth transitions from one day to the next if I have access to both days in one Ae project at once but I don't know if the size of such a project would slow everything down to a crawl.

All images JPG cropped to 3840 x 2160.  About 300 pictures/day.

Schwizer

• 1. Re: Proper way to combine multi day timelapse
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, I would decide what your final movie is going to be. The most universal format right now is HD. It looks like you sized your images to 4K. If you want to stick with that then just make sure your system can handle 4K.

I would use premiere Pro for the initial editing. Just import each days footage as an image sequence. This will make each days time lapse a separate movie. If your system can handle 4K then you can just drag the footage from each day into a P Pro sequence and play them back in real time. You can do all your editing and even warp stabilizing in Premier.

This will be much faster than working in after effects, totally eliminate the hassle of working with thousands of individual images, and save you a lot of headache. When you have the movie edited, if there are any parts that need "effects" or other special processing you can work on those sections in AE.

• 2. Re: Proper way to combine multi day timelapse
            BSchwizer Level 1

Thank you for the great advice.  That was the kind of expertise I was looking for.  I have purchased the Premier Pro subscription and am playing with it.  I have managed to import two days worth of stills as "image sequences" and succeeded in adding them to the Video 1 timeline.  It was very convenient.  I have also played with exporting a few samples to video.  Unfortunately I have made just about every amateur mistake in the book during the picture taking steps of my first time lapse project.

If I have days that were shot at different intervals (15 min, 5 min and 2 min), and lets say I want to have a speed of roughly 1 hour of recorded time for ever 1 second of video, am I fixed to one frame rate for the entire export via the built in frames per second (10, 15, 29.97 etc) settings in the export dialogue or can I manually vary the frame rates for individual videos in my timeline?

Schwizer

• 3. Re: Proper way to combine multi day timelapse
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can vary the interpretation of image sequences in both AE and Premiere.

• 4. Re: Proper way to combine multi day timelapse
                bogiesan Level 4

You may also want to research third party products that are designed to help color balance and compensate for exposure variations in timelapse sequences. The are largely automatic and can save you days of tedium.