4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2015 2:02 PM by JimHess

photo resizing question

fredfordguy

Hello, I'm using Lightroom 5 and have a question regarding the file size.  A photo I took with a Nikon D90 was downloaded and is 5.7 mb, I processed it and some cropping and color corrections came out amazing, my question is this.  The corrected size has been downloaded to a file but reduced to 622 kb, quite a bit smaller than the original.  Was this done by an automatic setting?  I'm asking because the corrected version is scheduled to be sent to a printer who is going to make some 8X10 color handout cards (the photo is of a race car) for the public and I was concerned that the quality might be different as the re-sizing.  I've not heard back from the printer so I was trying to get some info about this issue.  Thanks for any help that might be issued. 

• 1. Re: photo resizing question
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's difficult to know based on just the file size. What you need to know is what the pixel dimensions are. If you want a good quality 8 x 10" print then you would probably want to have it printed at 300 PPI. That would require an image that is 2400 x 3000 pixels. You can control the size of the image in the export dialog.

• 2. Re: photo resizing question
            dj_paige Level 9

Exporting as a JPG will normally result in a decrease in FILE size, but not a reduction in IMAGE size. So, this is perfectly normal, and I don't see this as unusual or worrisome.

Furthermore, you are looking at the wrong measure. FILE size and megabytes tells you nothing, and will mislead you. Thus, I suggest to you that the comparison of going from 5.7 megabytes to 622 kilobytes is completely meaningless and useless. The IMAGE size, measured in megapixels, (or equivalently dimensions width x height) is what you need to be paying attention to. If you want to print at 8x10, and you use the "usual" level of quality of 300 pixels per inch, then you need 2400x3000 pixels (or more) in your exported photo. But you don't tell us what the IMAGE size is.

• 3. Re: photo resizing question
              fredfordguy Level 1

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I find the pixel count??

thanks for the help

• 4. Re: photo resizing question
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can configure your info display so that it shows the pixel dimensions. You can also specify pixel dimensions in the export module. For instance, if you have cropped your image to be 4 x 5./8 x 10 crop ratio then you can specify in your export settings to have the long side exported at 3000 pixels. You can configure your info display options by pressing Ctrl/J (Cmd/J Mac).