2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2006 1:14 AM by CraigCC

Password protect a .chm file

Lynetteski
      I have created a .chm file that will be downloaded to all the members of our network - via an automatic script. But I need to restrict access to the file so that only authorised people can actually open it. Is there any way of password protecting (or otherwise restricting access) the file so that only certain people can open it?
        • 1. Re: Password protect a .chm file
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Welcome to the forum.

I don't know of a way of doing that but can't your IT people somehow distribute it only to authorised users. If you download a chm from the web, then users get a warning which you may not want and they have to clear a check box. I don't know if the security measure will apply to files downloaded from your network but you need to check. You can download a chm from my site (Snippet 32) to see what happens. Don't open it directly after downloading it, instead open it from the hard disk via Windows Explorer. The procedure is different and the one you need to see.

Would it not be easier to put webhelp on a server? You could get IT to restrict access or, if it is a Unix based server, you could password protect it as described on my site.

Today will be a bit quiet on the forums as it is US Independence Day. Perhaps tomorrow someone else will have some other ideas.

• 2. Re: Password protect a .chm file
            CraigCC Level 2
            Hi Lynetteski,

This is a popular request, but as Peter says there is not slick way to do this with a .chm file.
            One other thought, if you'd like to give everyone access to the file for downloading, you could just zip up the .chm file and then password protect the .zip file (via File - Add a Password).

You can also import a .chm into ebook software and password protect it, but this is not for the feint hearted. This process will require some compromise in the feature that are available within the .chm and can be little time consuming.

Hope that helps
            Craig