6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 4:13 PM by A.T. Romano

random letter boxing in bounced movie

rustya57157733

I started working with Premiere Elements today and everything is going fine. in the litte window in the center my movie looks great so I share it as a file for the computer. But when I look at that video in Quicktime some parts of my video get letter boxing. thats not a problem, the problem is that some of the clips do NOT get letterboxing. I think it has something to do with scaling clips because the clips where I zoomed in are the ones that fill the screen totally. the ones I leave untouched get the letterbox treatment! how do I fix this? anyone?

Mike

• 1. Re: random letter boxing in bounced movie
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system?

Did you have a mix of 16:9 and 4:3 content on the Timeline of the project?

Let us go through the check list...

1. Project preset set by you (manually) or the project (automatically). Please tell us what the readings are for

Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio - even if they look grayed out. See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

2. What is the aspect ratio for each of the files that presented letterboxed, and what is the aspect ratio for each of the file that

presented without letterboxing?

3. What were the details of the export...Publish+Share/Computer/ and then what, and what set for Presets? Did you use default

settings for the preset or did you customize the preset under its Advanced Button/Video Tab, Audio Tab, and, if applicable, Multiplexer

Tab?

Let us start here and then base the troubleshooting strategy on your reply details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: random letter boxing in bounced movie
            rustya57157733 Level 1

thanks for your swift response!

Elements 13 on Mac Yosemite.

I'm not sure about the aspect ratios of my files, the DO come from 2 different sources (a Canon DSLR and a Sony camcorder) I unpacked the Sony AVCHD with two different editors (I know... I'm just getting started and learning the hard way)

some are now .mp4 others are .MOV and some are .mov. the thing is however that there is not a constant to be found in the letterboxing as far as sort of file or camera is concerned. there is some pattern and that is that clips where I changed the scale and or position are different from the ones where i did'nt do that.

Project mode automatically...

editing mode DSLR

Timebase 23,976 fps

Frame size 1920 X 1080

Pixel aspect ratio square pixels 1.0

how do I find the aspect ratio for a seperate clip?

I shared in several presets but had the same trouble in every preset...

Mike

• 3. Re: random letter boxing in bounced movie
              rustya57157733 Level 1

letterboxing files pixel aspect ratio 1,0 it looks like ALL clips are 1,0 the Framerate however differs, some are 25 FPS

• 4. Re: random letter boxing in bounced movie
                A.T. Romano Level 7

rustya

Thanks for the reply.

Of the files involved in this project, would you say that they  all have 1920 x 1080 for frame size (from Canon and Sony).

And, when you import them into the project, does each and every one of them fill completely the space

in the Edit area monitor (no black borders)?

ATR

• 5. Re: random letter boxing in bounced movie
                  rustya57157733 Level 1

yes and yes... the files all seem to be that size and the letterboxing is NOT visable in the Edit area monitor. only after exporting the files they appear. I've rectified the problem by now by enlarging al the clips that misbehave to 107%

and now my bounced video looks fine!

Mike

• 6. Re: random letter boxing in bounced movie
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Great job in resolving your issue to obtain your export which presented without any letterboxing.

It is not clear as to cause and effect with regard to the letterboxing that you saw, if the source was 1920 x 1080, your project settings were for 1920 x 1080,

and your export settings were 1920 x 1080.

If you ever want to revisit the whys for this, I would be glad for the opportunity to discuss this further.

But right now, important you are moving forward and you have your end product as wanted. Great job making the

adjustments.

Best wishes

ATR