6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 12:45 PM by danielsgroves

Photoshop to Lightroom Colour Shift

danielsgroves

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded from CS5 to CC after purchasing a Nikon D7100 over christmas and thus needing the latest versions fro RAW support (Nikon NEF).

My problem is I am experiencing colour shift between Photoshop and Lightroom after upgrading. I have set Lightroom to use 16-bit ProPhoto RGB images when editing in Photoshop.  My computer is a Late 2012 MacMini with an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

I originally posted this in the Photoshop forum and have moved it over here after being recommended to do so.

The image below shows the problem, where the colour is correct in Photoshop, but not in Lightroom.

Screen-Shot-2015-02-17-at-13.16.51.png

In the other thread we went through the motions and eliminated:

• D7100 Camera Raw Profile
      • Lens profile
      • Screen calibration and profile

It seems most likely at this point that Lightroom is applying some kind of alterations to the image settings. If I Right Click a problem image in lightroom and say "edit in photoshop with lightroom adjustments" that colours appear incorrect in photoshop, too.

Can anyone make any suggestions here?  I can't seem to get anything I shot last weekend out of lightroom with the correct colours!

Thanks,

Dan.

• 1. Re: Photoshop to Lightroom Colour Shift
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is it possible that you have different default settings in Lightroom than in Camera Raw?

• 2. Re: Photoshop to Lightroom Colour Shift
            danielsgroves Level 1

Jim,

I've just run a set of images back through the process. In the Merge to HDR Pro window I ensured that default settings were elected from the drop-down in the top-right. In Camera Raw I ensured Camera Raw Defaults was selected under the Presets panel. As far as I can tell none of these settings have been altered… but if there is a way to confirm this I will happily go through any processes to confirm.

As you can see in the following screenshot the new images looks very overexposed in Lightroom, but not so in Photoshop.

Screen-Shot-2015-02-17-22-46-15.png

I've found the option to reset the develop settings in Lightroom… in there a way to do this in Photoshop to in order to completely rule this out?

• 3. Re: Photoshop to Lightroom Colour Shift
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you’re seeing is NORMAL when viewing a 32-bit HDR images because of the different internal profile each uses for mapping HDR images to the screen color space.  What you see on screen isn’t the 32-bit image, it is the 32-bit image mapped to the screen and each uses a different method for doing this.  You may see something similar to LR’s rendering in PS if you use the Camera Raw Filter for toning.  The only way to make them the same is to convert to 16- or 8-bit images from the 32-bit floating point HDR.

• 4. Re: Photoshop to Lightroom Colour Shift
                danielsgroves Level 1

Ok, that makes sense! I've only recently started playing with the HDR functionality.

So, after reading about 32-bit and 16-bit files online I've become no clearer on whether is it actually more beneficial to keep the image as a 32-bit image once I have completed the Merge to HDR Pro process.  With I'm 32-bits I'm assuming more data per pixel, more accurate colour and thus better image detail. So if I convert to 16-bit then I loose image quality?  I've also noticed that I can't go back and pickup work on a camera raw filter with a 16-bit image. That's a bit of a killer for me.

It seems a little mad to me that Lightroom doesn't support 32-bit images when Photoshop does, particularly given they're designed to be used together. Are there any popular plugins to introduce support?

Finally (sorry for all the questions!), is it because the image I was working with is 32-bit that I can't find an option in photoshop to export a JPEG?

• 5. Re: Photoshop to Lightroom Colour Shift
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A “raw” HDR image has darks that are too dark to see detail in and lights that are too bright to see any detail in.  The process of “tone mapping” is what scrunches all the floating point values into the normal range of black to white.  Once an image is tone mapped its pixel values all fall into the range of zero to whatever the maximum value is for white in a 16-bit or 8-bit format and it can be saved as such.  The 32-bit floating point image is supposed to be temporary on the way to an 8- or 16-bit image.  Personally I save the original 32-bit image in a separate file from the tone-mapped 16- or 8-bit image so I can always go back and revisit the tone mapping operation.

LR supports 32-bit images otherwise you would see nothing.  Here is a discussion about why things look different that includes Eric Chan, an Adobe Raw Engineer, to someone bringing up a similar concern a little over a year ago:

ttp://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_preview_of_hdr_tonemapped_i mage_doesnt_match_what_is_shown_in_photoshop_acr

It used to be that Photoshop was the only Adobe product that could open 32-bit files and tone-map them to 16- or 8-bits and I would argue that it did an unsatisfying job.  Eventually this capability was added to LR and the ACR plug-in for Photoshop which does a better job, but being raw converters, the starting point looks brighter on screen.

Photomatix is a payfor product that also does a good job with both merging and tone-mapping to 16- or 8-bits.  It comes with both a standalone and a plug-in interface.  There are others, but Photomatix is the one I’ve tried in the past.

• 6. Re: Photoshop to Lightroom Colour Shift
                    danielsgroves Level 1

Excellent, thanks for that. Glad that I finally understand what's going on!