17 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2017 2:53 AM by Ahmed Elnosany

Why won't my video play?

dthomason

When I export InDesign file with video to PDF, the video plays. But when I send pdf to someone else, it doesn't. what am I mssing?

• 1. Re: Why won't my video play?
          markerline Level 4

Did the other party tell you what device they're trying to view your PDF on?  It won't work on iOS devices or Android devices.  You have to be using a desktop client of Adobe Reader or some PDF desktop client software to view multimedia.  I may be wrong about this but I think the reason is PDF's use Flash Video.  Can someone correct me here?

• 2. Re: Why won't my video play?
            dthomason Level 1

ive been sending to other computers..no ios devices. ive tried viewing on a mac using adobe and also a pc and surface device.  ive tried using flv and mp4 all using h.264.

• 3. Re: Why won't my video play?
              markerline Level 4

hmmm.  if it plays for you it should do the same for others.  I wonder whether on your computer you have just set a symbolic link to the video and your computer recognizes it and plays.  But symbolic links won't work on other computers because they won't be able to find the video.  Though I've never known to link to videos using ID.  I don't have that much experience with it but I have created an ID file in the past with multimedia in it.  Sometimes you have to initialize the playback of the video or mp3 audio that is embedded in the PDF by activating the media icon.  Do you think that is the issue?  What do you do to get your video to play?

• 4. Re: Why won't my video play?
                dthomason Level 1

The video is placed in to InDesign using either the place command or through the media panel. So it links it the same way it would with an image or text file.  When I export, I include option to include all media.  A relative link issue makes sense, but there isn't an option to use an absolute path.  At least not that I'm aware of.

• 5. Re: Why won't my video play?
                  markerline Level 4

I think I might know the issue.  You have to include your video with the PDF as you would a multi-document zip file containing multiple files.  If you are embedding the video and it includes it, have a look at your authored folder where your PDF resides.  Do you see a copy of the mp4/flv file either side-by-side with the PDF or in a "assets" folder or some folder with some name that contains that video?  If so your video won't play unless you include it and send the client the zip file.

• 6. Re: Why won't my video play?
                    dthomason Level 1

I'll have to try that.

• 7. Re: Why won't my video play?
                      Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Rene,

It's NOT necessary to send along a copy of the video when you correctly create an interactive PDF file. It's embedded in the PDF file. I just placed an MP4 file into InDesign CC 2014.2, previewed it in the Media panel and EPUB Interactive panel, saved it as PDF (Interactive). I plays on my local computer in Acrobat Pro XI. I moved it via Dropbox to another computer where the video doesn't reside. In Acrobat Pro XI it plays fine on the second computer.

@ Denise,

Why don't you post the PDF for us on a cloud website like Dropbox and give us a link so we can check it out.

• 8. Re: Why won't my video play?
                        markerline Level 4

It's NOT necessary to send along a copy of the video when you correctly create an interactive PDF file. It's embedded in the PDF file. I just placed an MP4 file into InDesign CC 2014.2, previewed it in the Media panel and EPUB Interactive panel, saved it as PDF (Interactive). I plays on my local computer in Acrobat Pro XI. I moved it via Dropbox to another computer where the video doesn't reside. In Acrobat Pro XI it plays fine on the second computer.

I'm surprised.  From what I recall about doing this process myself I had to make sure there was a resident media file.  I don't recall that the media file got embedded into the PDF, otherwise the PDF would be very very large.  But you may be right.  I was using an earlier CS version, not CC or later.

• 9. Re: Why won't my video play?
                          markerline Level 4

I think you're right.  I just checked the file I published way back 4 years ago and it seems that when you publish to an interactive HTML file with SWF then you have to associate a folder that automatically gets created.  The flash file automatically links the associated folder and mp3 (or mp4 video) contents for you but you have to make sure that everything gets put into the zip folder, including that automatically generated folder containing the mp3.

I can't seem to find my interactive PDF file of the same document so I can't see the file size difference to tell you that the file with the embedded audio is larger.

• 10. Re: Why won't my video play?
                            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

SWF and PDF are two completely different animals.

• 11. Re: Why won't my video play?
                              markerline Level 4

Yes, of course.  That's understood, naturally.  I was just thrown off by the way media is embedded into a PDF and the fact that it won't work on iOS and Android.  Seems there's a sort of Flash connection going on.  Even when you view the interactive PDF (I found a sample on my computer), I see that the file size is not that large since the media is small, but the embedded media player is a Flash component, isn't it?

• 12. Re: Why won't my video play?
                                Petteri_Paananen Level 4

Compatibility problems with interactive PDF are not limited to mobile devices only... for instance Mac Preview does pretty lousy job for showing videos or other interactive elements on PDFs... and unfortunately it is very often used as a default PDF viewer amongst Mac users.

And another story is browser extensions like PDF.js (used inside FireFox)... They are even worse than Mac Preview.

If you want to use interactive PDFs, you have to instruct users to open PDF into Adobe Reader or Acrobat...

• 13. Re: Why won't my video play?
                                  dthomason Level 1

I think I got it to work.  But, here is a link to the project.  If it plays, please let me know. :-)

Adobe Creative Cloud

• 14. Re: Why won't my video play?
                                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It downloads and plays fine for me in Adobe Acrobat Pro.

• 15. Re: Why won't my video play?
                                      dthomason Level 1

Awesome! Thank you!

• 16. Re: Why won't my video play?
                                        linab56516444

have same problem, opens in acrobat but when I send it it doesn't show video

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

• 17. Re: Why won't my video play?
                                          Ahmed Elnosany

Dear @

I had the same problem and i found that on the client pc a message appears asking to download flash player and it was solved get

the latest flash player from here and make sure your client instal it.Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/