9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2016 12:42 PM by kylem40258416

How to import photos into LRM on location, then sync to LR desktop at office?

JacquesCornell Level 1

When shooting on location, how can I download my RAW (or RAW+JPEG) photos from SD cards into Lightroom Mobile (LRM) on iPad so that I can select/reject/rank on the road and then sync to Lightroom desktop (LRD) when I get back to the office? I know I can use another app to add JPEGs to Camera Roll, then import from there to LRM, but when I get home and download RAWs into LRD, will the work done on JPEGs on the iPad then sync up with corresponding RAWs on my Mac?

• 1. Re: How to import photos into LRM on location, then sync to LR desktop at office?
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't. Mobile is not designed as a laptop replacement for travelling.

There is one workaround which is quite new. If you have access to a proper computer on the road, you can log into Lightroom Web and create a collection. You can then drag the raw files from an Explorer/Finder window, into the browser, and drop them in the collection. The originals are then uploaded to LrWeb and will be synced to your Mac and will be available in LrM. So in this case your LrM adjustments, ratings etc will apply directly to the raw files when you return home.

Alternatively, as you know, you can get the JPEGs into LrM from the Camera Roll and make adjustments, add ratings etc. When you're back home and import the raw files, you can use my Syncomatic plugin to sync the work from the JPEGs to the corresponding raw files. I've heard of a few people doing this.

• 2. Re: How to import photos into LRM on location, then sync to LR desktop at office?
            JacquesCornell Level 1

Thanks for the feedback, but sorry to hear the bad news. This is really bassackwards from the POV of a location photographer's workflow. The whole point of the iPad is to lighten my kit by leaving the laptop behind. Who wants to select/reject/rank photos on an iPad AFTER they've been downloaded and organized in LR on a computer? I was really hoping to do the selections, metadata, and maybe some basic adjustments on the road with an iPad, then sit down at my Mac back home and continue post in LR. If I can't do this, LR Mobile is useless to me, and LR for desktop is a whole lot less compelling vs. DXO or Capture One. Sheesh. What were they thinking?

The first workaround really doesn't help, either, though I appreciate your input. It still requires a computer, and uploading hundreds or thousands of RAW files is likely to take an eternity.

The Camera Roll workaround sounds like it might work if I shoot RAW + JPEG. I thought LrM was supposed to handle this natively. What is this "Syncomatic" of which you speak, and where can I get it? I'll check it out, but I'll also take another look at Mylio. Very disappointed that Adobe seems so clueless. It's why I stuck with Aperture for so long. Their main constituency is designers, illustrators & prepress people, and it shows.

• 3. Re: How to import photos into LRM on location, then sync to LR desktop at office?
              JacquesCornell Level 1

John,

One more question. If I import JPEGs from the Camera Roll, will this double the storage requirement? IOW, are the JPEGs imported into LrM referenced or duplicate copies?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: How to import photos into LRM on location, then sync to LR desktop at office?

They explain the  logic here - The Field Triage Opportunity for Lr Mobile. The Mobile workflow works fine for me when I am away from my desk, waiting for a meeting, on the train, showing people pictures from an event. That's because I'm using it for what it's designed for, not expecting it to be something it isn't. It's not intended as a laptop replacement, so when I travel I take the laptop. In other words, you don't complain about a hammer because it doesn't help to tighten up screws, do you? It's not the hammer's fault for being a hammer but a matter of mistaken expectation.

But let's say Adobe had launched Mobile the way you suggest, with direct raw import, and let's say I was like you and wanted to use Mobile to import raw files on location. Well, I am perfectly happy with my 32Gb iPad2, but for your method to work I would probably  need a new iPad for my D800 files and for the copies that iOS requires (Apple genius!). How big can iPad hard drives be? Even with smaller raw files, for this laptop replacement workflow, I'm going to have to go top of the iPad range. So that's great - by prematurely trying to force a laptop replacement workflow into the iPad you've immediately erected a big barrier against many iPad users ever experimenting with Mobile, let alone adopting it, and you've probably killed the product at birth. Instead, Adobe have initially gone for different workflows that are practical today.

You can find Syncomatic here.

• 5. Re: How to import photos into LRM on location, then sync to LR desktop at office?

JacquesCornell wrote:

John,

One more question. If I import JPEGs from the Camera Roll, will this double the storage requirement? IOW, are the JPEGs imported into LrM referenced or duplicate copies?

Thanks.

They're duplicates. That seems to be an iOS thing.

• 6. Re: How to import photos into LRM on location, then sync to LR desktop at office?
                    JacquesCornell Level 1

Thanks, John. I really don't care about or even want RAW import into my iPad, as this would make for a long download and would fill up my iPad fast. What would be ideal is for LrM to import from my SD card or camera (via wifi tether) a Smart Preview that I could work on and then sync up with the RAW files when I download them into Lr desktop on return to the office. Given that Adobe isn't providing this, it seems that importing just small JPEGs into LrM via the Camera Roll and using Syncomatic to sync to the RAWs on return home might be a viable workflow. I know this wasn't the original intended use of Syncomatic, so are there any limitations I should be aware of?

I'm really pretty dumbfounded that Adobe hasn't foreseen this workflow and isn't enabling Smart Preview import from a SD card or even providing the functionality of Syncomatic. Glad you're here to make LrM actually usable.

• 7. Re: How to import photos into LRM on location, then sync to LR desktop at office?

JacquesCornell wrote:

I know this wasn't the original intended use of Syncomatic, so are there any limitations I should be aware of?

Just that cropping doesn't sync, Jacques, but you've probably noticed that.

You know, I think Adobe did think about the workflow, but chose to look at other workflows which were more practical right now. Also, do you know of PhotoSmith? I haven't used it, but I think it may be an alternative worth considering.

John

• 8. Re: How to import photos into LRM on location, then sync to LR desktop at office?
                        JacquesCornell Level 1

Thanks for the heads-up about cropping. I think field triage is a much more practical application for an iPad than making image adjustments. Adobe has ignored the former and pursued the latter. Yes, I'm looking at Photosmith, which looks like a nice field triage option. I already have ShutterSnitch as a wifi tether tool, and in conjunction with the Snitch Sync plugin for Lr this also can sync to RAWs in Lr. So, looks like I've got three options so far: LrM with Syncomatic, ShutterSnitch with Snitch Sync, and Photosmith. I'm disinclined to sign up for a CC subscription, and I'm trying to find out if Photosmith supports wifi tethering to Panasonic cameras, so for now I'll try ShutterSnitch (which I already have) and Snitch Sync. Photosmith has a nicer UI, though, and simpler syncing with Lr, so I'll probably go that route if it tethers.

I appreciate your taking the time to help me get up to speed and also for making Syncomatic for LrM users who want to use a tablet for on-location review.

• 9. Re: How to import photos into LRM on location, then sync to LR desktop at office?
                          kylem40258416

You can.  But first, I'll tell you where I've arrived with my mobile workflow, I've put a LOT of time and thought into it.

I asked myself as a mental exercise "what is the lightest kit I could carry on an extended vacation and not get backlogged with editing?"

I considered all kinds of options and finally came up with this system:

-Shoot Small Basic JPGs to SD Card Slot #2 in my Nikon D610

-Shoot RAW (NEF) to SD Card Slot #1

-Arrive at location with WIFI, Connect iPhone or iPad to network

-Turn on "WD 1TB My Passport Ultra Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0"

-Plug "RAW" SD card into HDD and press the Backup Button

-Open LRM (LightRoom Mobile) on iPhone/iPad - create an album (or select desired album) and "enable auto add" by clicking the "..." next to the album

-Plug "Small Basic" SD into iPhone/iPad via "Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader"

-"Import All" JPGs to Camera Roll (it gives an option to delete items after import, I am comfortable deleting them, your call.)

-Re-Launch LRM and verify that images were imported to the Album you Selected/Created

-Switch over to "Photos" app click on "moments", Click "select" and then "Select All" at the right side above all the pictures you just imported, and then delete them from your iPhone/iPad (this will NOT delete them from LRM, it just keeps you from using 2x the memory on your device)

At this point, your small JPGs will be syncing over the WIFI network to your Desktop version of LR into a collection Titled as the album you created/selected.  Even if you are in a different country.

-Click "enable offline editing" if you want to work on the images on an airplane, or anywhere else a Data connection is questionable

-Open the Western Digital App and verify that your RAW images Transferred to the HDD

-Eject "RAW" SD once transfer is verified (I DO keep the images on these SD Cards in a separate Card Holder until I get home and can back them up)

Now, you are done with the upload and backup process until you get home.

at this point, I tent to do my editing in LRM on my iPad in this order (you can do whatever you want obviously)

-Flag Rejects (out of focus, under/over exposed, terrible framing)

-Flag Picks (usually about 20% of what is left after filtering out the rejects)

-Filter to only show "Picks"

-Adjust Exposure

-Adjust Toning and White balance (Try not to obsess over color, unless you have some kind of color calibration app on your iDevice)

-Adjust anything else I want (you can also download "Adobe Photoshop Fix" and do liquify and object removal)

All of these edits are Synced to LR desktop once you reconnect to WIFI.

And that's it for my Mobile editing!  Next Step is arriving home after the Big Trip.

When I get home, I

-plug in all of my "RAW" SD cards into my Multi-SD card Reader (Sometimes takes a few batches) and back them up to my "Archive" HDD

-plug in my WD My Passport Drive, and Import all the images into LR (using "ADD" not "move" or "copy")

-make sure your "Quick Collection" is empty

-Select all from your album that has the Small Basic JPGs (should be under Collections>From LR mobile>"album name"

-Press "B", this adds all the jpgs that you have been working on (including flags, stars, and edits) to your quick collection.

-Select all from your WD My Passport import and press "B" to add them to your quick collection as well.

At this point, you will have duplicates (one JPG version and one RAW) of each of your pictures in your quick collection.

I use the Lightroom Plug-in called "Syncomatic", it's about $10 (one time purchase), once you've installed it, you click on

-file>plugin extras>sync files with the same name or time

-then chose JPG files as the Source, and RAW files as the Target

-Click "OK"

All of your flags, edits, and adjustments will be copied over to your RAW files.

At this point, you can continue working on your images in LR to your heart's content and then use your normal workflow

I usually delete the Mobile Album from the desktop, which will also delete it off of your IOS devices, I verify that ALL of my intended file transfers were successful, and then format ALL of my SD cards and return them to my "Empty" card holder.

When I am done editing in LR/Photoshop, I export Full-Resolution JPGs to a Private Flickr Album (as a free 1TB online backup), and that's that.

It may seem like a lot of steps the first time, but I wanted to avoid using 3rd party apps for stability reasons (Syncomatic was unavoidable in my opinion) and once you kind of "understand" each step, it's not too bad to pull off.

If you have any suggestions on how to take out extra steps without compromising the # of backups, let me know.

And the answer to your original question?  ... Apple allows RAW files to be transferred to the Camera Roll now.

Why don't I just do that?  Storage on my iDevices.  My RAW files are 25 x the size and I can't fit 15,000 Raw images on my 16Gb phone.

Hope this helps!  I love my system, oh I almost forgot to do a checklist:

Camera, lens, battery, SD cards

WD My Passport 2TB - $80

Apple SD to Lightning - $29

External USB Battery backup - $15 - $100

(That's all you need in your travel bag to pull it off!)

Good luck everyone!  Happy Shooting!