2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 12:18 AM by Walry666

Storing photos/catalog on a NAS

Walry666

Hi all,

I have a Macbook Pro on my network and also a desktop. What I'd like to do is store my photos on my NAS and run the catalog from there, so I can share over both computers. However when I try to point it to a network directory LR tells me it's not able to do so. Is there any way around this? I'd like to be able to store on the server and work from there.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Storing photos/catalog on a NAS
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

LR does not support storing the catalog proper on network volumes, but you can store the photos on network volumes.  There are a couple of workarounds to the catalog restriction:

- Keep your photos on a network volume and use Dropbox (or similar) to synchronize the catalog folder between your computers. 

- Create a writable disk image on the network drive and store your catalog in that disk image.

There are threads in this forum and the official Adobe feedback forum giving more details about these. Neither workaround is officially supported.  I haven't tried either method, but my impression from the other threads is that they might be fragile.   So make sure you've got reliable, tested backups of your catalog.

• 2. Re: Storing photos/catalog on a NAS
            Walry666 Level 1

Fantastic, thank you so much