6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 8:50 PM by Willi Adelberger

Image Quality

paulbaish

When I place and then resize a png image in InDesign there is a loss in quality. How do I avoid this.

• 1. Re: Image Quality
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Don't scale it.

Why are you using PNGs?

• 2. Re: Image Quality
            paulbaish Level 1

As part of my job, I'm editing and converting some books from MS Word format to InDesign prior to them being printed.  I'm working on a Windows PC and have been using the Windows snipping tool to extract the images. This tool automatically saves the images as png files. When I place them into InDesign they are either smaller or larger than in the original Word document, and therefore I have to scale them. I tried simply copying and pasting but had the same problem. How should I go about this in order to achieve the same image quality as the original Word documents. The books are technical manuals with lots of annotated images. The text often appears blurred. I'll be very grateful for any advice as I have rapidly approaching deadlines to meet.

• 3. Re: Image Quality
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That is no way to get images from Word to InDesign.

I wrote this years ago but it still holds: http://indesignsecrets.com/get-the-full-picture-with-docx.php

• 4. Re: Image Quality

PNG is not so good for printing, you should try to get a higher resolution file instead of the images which were used in Word.

• 5. Re: Image Quality
                  paulbaish Level 1

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully, I'll be able to solve the problem now.

• 6. Re: Image Quality

I often write text in Word. But I would never recommend to use any graphic from any Word document as it does not support any kind of professional image or graphic. But what I do is following:

1. I create any graphic with text or drawing in Adobe Illustrator, I save the original as PDF or AI, but insert a copy as PNG into InDesign. I don't use save for MS Office, I export PNG because it allows me more fine tuning. For photos I use Photoshop, keep original PSD and insert a PNG into the Word Doc.
                    2. In Word I use the PNG, so I see which image or graphic should be placed here.
                    3. At the end I import the Word file (strictly formatted with Word styles) but without images into InDesign, then I place the AI, PSD or PDF files in InDesign. This keeps quality.

What I could do would be to use PDF in Word instead of PNG, but in Word the quality would be worse. But I never use any graphic from the Word file.

Sometimes I get images only embedded in Word docs. So I save the Word file as HTML, if the images a correct imported via insert into the Word file, you find in the HTML package the original image (renamed by a number) and a scaled image.