5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2015 10:41 AM by A.T. Romano

Narration too quiet with levels maxed out

julieoolie

Hi! I'm trying to record narration in Premiere Elements 7 and despite my levels being maxed out, it's still way too quiet. I just purchased a Blue Snowball Ice USB mic. I also tried it with a non-USB mic and got the same result. I also tried recording through Soundbooth CS4 and it sounded the same. I've tried to adjust the levels both through Windows control panel and in the narration recorder window in Premiere but nothing helps. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Narration too quiet with levels maxed out
          A.T. Romano Level 7

julieoolie

With Premiere Elements 7....

1. Volume Adjusts

a. Select the narration on the Timeline, open the Properties Palette/Volume Panel expanded and adjust the Volume Slider to a value above 0.0 dB.

6.0 dB is the max above the original volume which is represented as 0.0. Does the volume now get louder?

b. There is a yellow orange line that runs horizontally across the Timeline narration clip. With your mouse cursor, move

the line upward. Does the narration clip volume increase?

Add On...Be working with Audio Meter visible..See Window Menu/Audio Meters.

For selected narration clip....Properties...Window Menu/Properties or use Properties Icon above Timeline

Do the volume adjustments described above work for non narration audio whereas they do not for narration audio?

If you create the narration in a program such as Audacity and import that narration (wav file) into the Premiere Elements 7 project, is

the volume OK? If you use the computer's Sound Recorder, can you create a narration (wma file) with acceptable volume for Premiere

Elements 7?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Narration too quiet with levels maxed out
            julieoolie Level 1

Hi!

a - did that, hardly did anything.

b - helped a little but not much.

The volume adjustments work for both narration and other sound. The problem is just that my narration is being recorded too low to begin with so even with everything adjusted to the max, it's still too quiet.

When I record in sound recorder or any other program, I get the same results.

• 3. Re: Narration too quiet with levels maxed out
              A.T. Romano Level 7

julieoolie

Thanks for the follow up with the additional details.

From your details, this is not a Premiere Elements issue. Rather it is an issue involving

your computer sound system and equipment.

If you were stuck with a bunch of low volume narration clips from whatever source, you could consider looking at

at the the following which uses the free audio editor Audacity to increase volume (Amplitude)

Audacity tutorial:making the sound track louder, increasingthe Amplitude, or normalizing the volume levels

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Then you export the volume adjusted clips from Audacity (.wav or .mp4) and import them into the Premiere Elements project.

But, the focus would appear to be on the system volume settings for recording and speakers. So, I am not sure if there is any

merit in working with Audacity in a sound flawed system. You could try.

There is a maneuver in Premiere Elements that you could look at when you have the audio clip volume at max 6 dB and the volume is not loud

enough. Make copies of the audio clip and place the copies directly above one another on the audio tracks. Keep stacking them until

you get the increased volume that you want.

Please review and consider and then we decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Narration too quiet with levels maxed out
                Kris_Kasprzak

This answer is not correct. Simply drag your narration track to an audio track and the volume will be as expected. If you don't have any available audio tracks, right click in the area where the track names are and choose Add and add an audio track.

There is a problem with Adobe Premiere Elements (i'm on v13) and i have the same issue. Even if you record something in Audacity and bring that wav file into the narration track, the volume is cut way back.

• 5. Re: Narration too quiet with levels maxed out
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Kris_Kaprzak

Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes.

In your case that we have been discussing in your own thread today, the narration clip in Narration Track issue seems to be project specific.

There has been no follow up in julieoolie's case since February 2015. Now June 2015.

These narration issues when they set in can defy all sorts of attempts at resolution. But, moving the narration to an numbered audio track has helped in some, but not all, of these cases.

ATR