Codecs needed for Premiere Elements come from a variety of places
1. With installation of the program itself
2. Having the latest version of the free QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements
3. Having free Windows Media Player installed on your computer with Premiere Elements
You should not have to buy codecs for Premiere Elements. So, please clarify -
Are you having a particular problem in Premiere Elements 12/12.1 which is behind your question about looking for "editing codec" for Premiere Elements 12/12.1? Are you working with a video format such as MotionJPEG.avi, Xvid.avi, or Dvid.avi or other?
Looking forward to your follow up to make sure we are targeting the information that you seek.
Thanks for replying I will try to explain the best I can. I put some videos
up it was ok even did long video with them @ put in premiere elements but a
day later cant get into single videos put up or video as question marks
have come up in them @ when I try @ go into them it says type of file not
supported or the required codec is not installed This happened with other
videos but I simply took them off @ reloaded them @ they were fine Please
help as need these videos urgently thanks
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 6:59 PM, A.T. Romano <email@example.com>
Thanks for the reply and further details. This does not sound like a missing or codec needed type situation. But what then?
I am about to call it a day, but I will give you some things to look into:
1. Did you install the 12.1 Update or are you still working with Premiere Elements 12 version? If still 12, then update to 12.1
using the opened project's Help Menu/Update if you can get into a project to do this.
2. Please tell us the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the videos that you have been using. From that
information I am trying to get at the properties of your source without having you download and install video properties read out programs.
3. What is the description of your computer resources...installed RAM, free hard drive space, type processor, clock speed or whatever you
can tell us to give us an idea if computer resources might be involved in the problems.
4. Are you moving around, deleting, or renaming files that you have imported into one of your projects after you save close the project?
Are you trying to import one project file into another?
I will be following your thread again in the morning hours. It is our hope that with all the details we can resolve this issue by tomorrow.