4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2015 8:58 AM by Brooke1713

Can Premiere Elements import a file that is ProRes 422 codec?

Brooke1713

Hi! VERY new to Premiere Elements. Can Premiere Elements import a file that is ProRes 422 codec?

Thank you!
      Brooke

• 1. Re: Can Premiere Elements import a file that is ProRes 422 codec?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Brooke

What version of Premiere Elements on what computer operating system?

I have done this and reported on this in some threads here. I need to find those threads

to define Premiere Elements version, computer operating system, and further properties of the ProRes 422 file.

My recollection is that they represented

Format = ProRes

Codec = apch

Container = .mov

Frame Size = 1920 x 1080

Frame Rate = either 23.976 or 29.97.

Used Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and 13/13.1 on Windows 7 or 8.1 64 bit.

But, if you do not already have Premiere Elements, best to evaluate the free 30 days tryout of the program before purchase

to assure the compatibility of the program with your computer environment and project goals.

ATR

Add On...

Is it possible to import ProRes 422 files to Premiere Elements v. 10 or 12?

• 2. Re: Can Premiere Elements import a file that is ProRes 422 codec?
            Brooke1713 Level 1

Thank you!

I use:

• Premiere Elements 13
            • OS - Windows 8.1

My Video Vendor says they will shoot:

Shoot Spec: 1920 x 1080, 23.98 fps

Ideally as ProRes 422 codec --

Do you think, based on your experience, that I will be able to import into Premiere Elements 13? I can ask my vendor to use different settings, I think, if this cannot be imported into Premiere Elements 13.

• 3. Re: Can Premiere Elements import a file that is ProRes 422 codec?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Brooke

I cannot give you 100% guarantee whether or not your particular ProRes 422 files will run into any problems in Premiere Elements 13/13.1, but, based on what I have described, you should have no problems with the format. Any chance you can get a sample from the vendor before you give the vendor the go ahead for

the rest?

My study was with ProRes 422 files with .mov file extension. QuickTime, latest version, should be on the computer with Premiere Elements (13/13.1 in your case). I avoid never and always. But, I think you should be OK. Not sure if you might want to make that 23.98 progressive frames per second or 29.97 progressive frames per second. What other video formats will be on that Timeline beside the 23.98 footage? What is the intended output?

I am almost certain that the person who asked a similar question did post the outcome which I recall as being good. I will see if I can find that thread.

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can Premiere Elements import a file that is ProRes 422 codec?
                Brooke1713 Level 1

Awesome! Thanks for your time and expertise, A.T.! I will ask for a test file to make sure it works for me.

I will let you know how I make out when I receive the video.

Thank you,

Brooke