2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 12:23 PM by dj_paige

NEF to JPEG files

laural28708968

I'm new to Lightroom. I have a Nikon camera. I managed to take raw photos in the form of NEF files. They are showing up fine in Lr but I would like to save them as JPEG files on my computer so I can print them. Does anyone know how to do this?

• 1. Re: NEF to JPEG files
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You use the export dialogue for this purpose. Highlight the images that you want to make JPEG copies of, and then open the export dialogue. There is a button in the bottom left-hand corner of the library module, or you can just right-click on the images that you have highlighted. Then you can set up your file type and quality and the destination and a number of other options in that dialogue. Then you just click on export and you will have JPEG copies of your raw images.

Shooting NEF files will provide you with the greatest flexibility in Lightroom when working on your images. They are at a higher bit rate and have a lot more image data that JPEG files. If you work on your NEF files in Lightroom then you can ask for JPEG images whenever you need a copy that includes all of your Lightroom adjustments. These JPEG images can be shared with others or sent to a lab to be printed.

• 2. Re: NEF to JPEG files
            dj_paige Level 9

From within Lightroom, you can print photos using the Print module, and then there's no need to create a JPG first.

If you need to send the photo to some external printer, then you create JPGs by using the File->Export... command.