10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 5:26 PM by nute jr

Premiere Elements 12 keeps Crashing During Render.

GMJr Level 1

Hi,

Have been using Premiere Elements 12 in my laptop w Windows 8.1. Never has been problematic, but even after restart, it's crashed twice today while rendering video which is just under 20 minutes in length. As you know, it's very time-consuming- about 2 hours for a file this long. Any ideas?

Thanx in advance,

George

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 keeps Crashing During Render.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Do you have the 12.1 Update installed on your Windows 8.1 64 bit computer? If not, please do so using an opened project's Help Menu/Update.

What are the properties of the Timeline content? What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded this video? Have you used

this same video before as your source media without problems?

If you go to the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder in the Adobe Folder, do you find GB amount of pile ups of preview files there,

either .avi or .mpeg and informational files?

When was the last time that you were able to work in Premiere Elements without problems?

If you open a new project with or without the same video source, do you have crashes when it comes time to Timeline render edited Timeine

files?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 keeps Crashing During Render.
            GMJr Level 1

hi and thanx for getting back so quickly.

the video in question is using clips from a canon dslr, a samsung S4, audio from a zoom portable recorder and some odd video from an old flip handheld video recorder.

no, I don't have the update but I will make sure to do that immediately. but let me bring you up to date on what's happened since I posted my question. until this morning, no issues whatever, and I had completed a render on that very same file yesterday. a mispelling was pointed out in some text (grrrr..) so that was the only change to the file. I tried re-rendering and I got the error message that PE had stopped. restarted the computer, and tried again with the same outcome. as this was number four in a series of four mini-docs, I had to correct the same misspelling in the other three. so far so good- I've corrected and rendered successfully two of them, which leads me to believe something is corrupted in this file, number four. I did go to the preview files for this particular file and yes, there seem to be more preview files than in the others. one empty, one almost 4 gig, one about 900 mb, and and one 145mb. should I try dumping them or moving them somewhere else while I try another render?

thanx again, and hope this makes sense:)

george

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 keeps Crashing During Render.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Thanks for the update with additional details.

I would wipe out the preview files for that project. The worse case scenario is that you will have to render the related Timeline content of that project to get the

best possible preview for what you are seeing in Timeline playback in the Edit area monitor. Timeline rendering is just related to previewing.

You do not need to do it to continue in the project, but it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. It is not going

to fix a problem but just alert you to a possible problem that needs correction before export.

Let us see how you do with the above and then we will consider what next.

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 keeps Crashing During Render.
                GMJr Level 1

Okey dokey, will try that. Am in the middle of another render, #3. Hopefully it will be successful and I'll try your suggestions on #4 and report back. It may be tomorrow:)

Thanx again!

G

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 keeps Crashing During Render.
                  GMJr Level 1

Success!! Can't tell you what a big help you've been and I really appreciate how quickly you responded. I have to ask why the preview files built up so much in this particular file. I did do much more editing and more versions on this than the others. Is it a result of that? Anyway, now I know where to look and what to do.

Thanx again!

g

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 keeps Crashing During Render.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Thanks for the follow up. Wonderful to learn of your success. Great job.

Every time you Timeline render a file to get the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor, the project automatically generates  a preview file that can be found in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder.

Whether you Timeline render video or still

for SD projects, the file generated is DV.AVI.

for HD project, the file generated is MPEG2.mpg and a companion information file.

These files can eat up a large amount of hard drive space, so you need to monitor that Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder to see if the preview files especially from older projects have built up to a level that is creating problems.

Another place to monitor from time to time is the Media Cache Files Folder which contain conformed audio files that the program will automatically generate.

See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disc and Media Cache for its location.

Your results sound great.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 keeps Crashing During Render.
                      GMJr Level 1

Thanx again for the great info. So just to double-check, it's okay to dump all those files that PE generates? It's not necessary to keep them all when I back up? Everything will work properly without them if I understand correctly. Mainly for timeline rendering, not export rendering? Again, this is a huge help and I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

g

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 keeps Crashing During Render.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Thanks for the reply.

Positive: Deleting the preview files will free up a lot of free space. Consideration: if you open a project that generated one of those preview files to get the best possible preview of that file on the Timeline playback in the Edit area monitor, you will need to Timeline render that file again to get another preview file and the best possible preview. This is only a previewing matter and will not affect export. This Timeline rendering will not fix but will alert you ahead of time what to expect and direct you as to whether or not you need to work on the Timeline some more before export.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above information. I will clarify further if you want.

Your progress sounds good.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 keeps Crashing During Render.
                          GMJr Level 1

I think I'm good with all this. I can dump preview files, etc. after export rendering, and if I reopen in the future, I'll maybe need to do a timeline render to make it easy to work with. Then I can probably dump again after finishing up.

If that's all true, I guess I'm good to go. Thanx again!

g

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 keeps Crashing During Render.
                            nute jr

Thanks for your answer to this question, a storm knocked out my power while I was editing and when I restarted my system every time I would try to render in the timeline it would not launch and would crash the program when I tried closing the rendering window. I tried this fix and it seems to have solved the problem though I am haveing to render a 1.5 hr. video from scratch. The up side is that I've already done several hours of editing on this video and was not looking forward to having to start over. Thanks again.