10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2015 7:39 PM by whsprague

Changing frame rate from 60fps to 30fps

Mervyn Foster Level 1

Can anyone advise me how to change the frame rate of a video at 60fps to 30fps taken on my Canon SX60HS?   I have used this rate for the first time at my granddaughter's birthday party and when I put it into Premiere Elements is "jittery"

• 1. Re: Changing frame rate from 60fps to 30fps
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Do you know how to access your camera's recording settings?

Here is a PDF of the manual -- though it doesn't really tell you anything about setting the movie recording specs.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : PowerShot SX60 HS

• 2. Re: Changing frame rate from 60fps to 30fps
            Mervyn Foster Level 1

I already have the video and have changed back to 30fps on the camera ready to take further videos. The problem I have is using the video I have got and I have been told there is a way to change the video so it will play normally in Premiere Elements.

• 3. Re: Changing frame rate from 60fps to 30fps

You should be able to use it in Premiere Elements 13 as is. No reason to change the frame rate of the source video.

• 4. Re: Changing frame rate from 60fps to 30fps
                Mervyn Foster Level 1

Thanks Steve.   I have been looking for details about this on the website for version 13 but cannot find out anything.   I imagine that is would process 30fps and 60fps if they were mixed together in one film show.

• 5. Re: Changing frame rate from 60fps to 30fps

If you just use the video in your project, the program will automatically adapt to it, setting its project settings to match the specs of the first video you add to your timeline. (Although it can have some challenges interpreting MOV files.)

You can mix 30 and 60 fps in the same project but, as I say, the program will interpolate them to match the project specs, based on the first video you add to your timeline.

• 6. Re: Changing frame rate from 60fps to 30fps
                    Mervyn Foster Level 1

The video of my granddaughter's birthday party was the only item on the project and when I played it, it was very jittery, play it in Windows Media Player and it is fine, play it from the camera and it is fine.   I have been asking around to see if there is some software I can use without spending out almost £100 or so on a new Elements package.

• 7. Re: Changing frame rate from 60fps to 30fps
                      whsprague Level 4

Mervyn Foster wrote:

The video of my granddaughter's birthday party was the only item on the project and when I played it, it was very jittery, play it in Windows Media Player and it is fine, play it from the camera and it is fine.   I have been asking around to see if there is some software I can use without spending out almost £100 or so on a new Elements package.

Don't mean to step on Steve's toes.  He is a busy man!

Playing a video is a relatively simple task for a computer compared to editing.  The preview window inside Elements is trying to do a "real time" process and takes significant computer resources.  Usually, not always, the jittery preview is solved with more computer memory.   The top four or five brands of consumer priced editing software can all have the same problem if the computer is weak.   Video editing is the single thing that makes our computers work the hardest. 

There still may be a way to create a project setting that will reduce the jitter.  It will take some trial and error and still may not work, depending on the computer.

If you can live with a little jitter in editing, it will usually disappear for the final product during the output rendering (Publish and Share) process. 

If you are convinced your computer can handle 30fps smoothly and you can't live with the editing jitter, perhaps you can load the 60fps birthday video in a conversion project.  Basically you would put the 60fps clips on the timeline and "Publish&Share" to a computer 30fps file that you put back into your "real" project.  Theoretically, the rendering can reduce the picture quality but it should be slight. 

If this interests you, I would be glad to help.

If you are not interested, perhaps the most trusted freeware video conversion and manipulation software is called Handbrake.   I've never used it, but the internet is full of tutorials.

Bill

• 8. Re: Changing frame rate from 60fps to 30fps
                        Mervyn Foster Level 1

Many thanks Bill.   I done exactly what you said and saved the file as a different name in Elements 12 and all is well.   I owe you a pint!!

• 10. Re: Changing frame rate from 60fps to 30fps
                          whsprague Level 4

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Good call, Bill!

I only know what you taught me.  If a newcomer to video editing wants a solid and basic understanding, they need to take your outstanding course at Linda.com.  It is a pleasure being your student!