• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EchoSign pdf data description

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2015 Feb 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once a document is signed and stored on EchoSign - it can be retrieved as a PDF via the document key.

Is there a formal description (data definition - tags - etc)  of the PDF (that is base64 encoded).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 19, 2015 Feb 19, 2015

I have to ask why you need to know this? or for some purpose.

The signed pdf is just a regular albeit encrypted pdf. The pdf spec is I think what you are asking for. the pdf spec is here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html

If an agreement was created using multiple docs, the getdocumenrs method let's you grab the individual documents. (except signed widgets)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon,

Thanks - Yes the getDocument method

The questions is more about the description of the PDF itself (where is the signature cryptographic elements?  How are multiple documents separated within the PDF?)

This may be an Adobe PDF specification that EchoSign uses to build the signed PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to ask why you need to know this? or for some purpose.

The signed pdf is just a regular albeit encrypted pdf. The pdf spec is I think what you are asking for. the pdf spec is here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html

If an agreement was created using multiple docs, the getdocumenrs method let's you grab the individual documents. (except signed widgets)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - looking for that spec.

Purpose:

User story:  Using SOAP we build a page that shows several documents to sign / initial / etc.

We use the widgets to get that to EchoSign.

Once the user has "signed" EchoSign merges all the documents at that signing event into a single PDF.  Understandable since it is a single click on the "sign now" type button.

However, out business requirement is to be able to break apart the signed document with out breaking the signature - a cryptographic impossibility I believe.

So we are reduced to having multiple "sign now" button presses - for each document - to have separable documents.  Each call to the Widget is billable.  So multiple documents would be billed as multiple events.  We were hoping for a single billable event.

My developer was asking what the spec was for the PDF that was returned - and your reference to the Adobe spec speaks to that.

Thanks for the quick response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider using Sendocument along with getsigning url as well.

It can give you the same workflow as widgets, but with the added benefit individual documents can be split.

What may be considered a drawback is that signers do get an email asking to sign as well. though it may be possible to suppress. (requitrs you contacting support though)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon:

Can you shed some light on re-creating the widget experience when using the sendDocument method?

I've tried using sendDocument, then retrieving the PDF url with getDocumentUrls. However, if I make that URL the source of an iframe, the pdf just downloads instead of being presented in the iframe.

I've also tried using the echosign widget script code (in the api docs response sample) and replacing the documentKey with the document key created with sendDocument, but I get a "Sorry, the url you provided does not contain all the required information." error.

I have had success combining an iframe with retrieving the URL with getSigningUrl. However, that often returns a DOCUMENT_NOT_SIGNABLE error (appears to be random).

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2015 Mar 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

getdocumenturl is to get the signed pdf files. You'd use this at the very end if you need the signed file. (though you can use it to get 'intermediate files'

but iut's not to facilitate singing, just a pdf copy of the agreement.

with the erro DOCUMENT_NOT_SIGNABLE, just wait a wee bit longer before calling getsigningurl, the error means the agreement wasn't ready yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it sounds like I need to use getSigningUrl for the purpose of displaying the document to the signee in an iframe on our site. However, I may need to poll the that API call until the document is ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

correct,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines