6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2015 10:15 AM by jaylender

"Object layer options" doesn't work

jaylender

I'm trying to use the USE PDF'S LAYER VISIBILITY pop-up menu item in the object layer options dialog... but it simply doesn't work.  Layers which are turned off in the Illustrator document I'm using still show up, unless I manually turn them off in the inDesign dialog.  Does this feature work or not?

• 1. Re: "Object layer options" doesn't work
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Please be more specific. Versions of ID and AI, PDF options in AI.

Screenshots would also be helpful.

• 2. Re: "Object layer options" doesn't work
            jaylender Level 1

Thanks, Bob.

InDesign 8.0.2

Illustrator 16.0.4

MacOS 10.10.2

I'm not sure where I'd look for PDF options in Illustrator.  I certainly haven't changed any PDF settings... and since the problem seems to be intermittent at least, and perhaps tied to certain documents, I'm at a loss.  These documents were all created by duplicating a master doc, so I can't imagine why this problem would affect only some of them.  I've had this problem for YEARS, through multiple versions of inDesign, multiple operating system versions and multiple computers.

• 3. Re: "Object layer options" doesn't work

I only give you the caveats. If you change anything about the layer

structure you’ll go back to the saved state.

• 4. Re: "Object layer options" doesn't work
                jaylender Level 1

I'm confused.  I'll go back to the saved state of the Illustrator document or the Indesign document's supposed handling of the Illustrator document.  If it makes things easier, I don't EVER want to use InDesign to determine which layers an Illustrator document shows--using inDesign to select visibility like that has zero utility for me.  I will always want to default to the Illustrator document's visibility settings.

• 5. Re: "Object layer options" doesn't work

Are you saying that you don't see that behavior? That despite saving the Illustrator document in a certain state, you're not seeing that displayed?

• 6. Re: "Object layer options" doesn't work
                    jaylender Level 1

That's exactly what I'm saying.  When the object in InDesign is set to "use PDF's Layer Visibility" inDesign shows exactly the layers that are marked as visible in that dialog--the override settings.  I can reset the pop-up, I can reserve the document, I can quit the popup, open it again, change the setting back and forth from override to Use PDF--it doesn't matter.  InDesign goes with its overrides.  It's not the case for every illustrator document that I've placed in my inDesign document, but neither have I noticed any kind of pattern for the documents which it does have a problem with.