10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 8:34 PM by A.T. Romano

How can I easily view a section of my movie multiple times

teddypierce

I have a section of my project that I want to play back several times to fine tune the transitions, audio fades, etc. Is there some way to define start and stop points, then just cycle over and over automatically? Running PRE 12, Windows 7.

• 1. Re: How can I easily view a section of my movie multiple times
          teddypierce Level 1

I think what I am looking for is Preview capability, but available over several clips, not just one.

• 2. Re: How can I easily view a section of my movie multiple times
            A.T. Romano Level 7

teddypierce

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 (assumed 64 bit). If you have not already, you  should consider updating 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Update.

Please explore holding down Ctrl+Alt as you hit the spacebar as the Timeline is running (also even when the Timeline Indicator is at the end of the content). And, then let us know if that worked for you.

I think that is what you might be seeking.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: How can I easily view a section of my movie multiple times
              teddypierce Level 1

Thanks ATR. I am running PRE 12.1. Your directions are an easy way to jump to the beginning and start playing the movie. However, I want to play a section in the middle of the movie with selectable start and end points.

• 4. Re: How can I easily view a section of my movie multiple times
                A.T. Romano Level 7

teddypierce

In the spirit of never give up, how about this...

1. Set the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the area of interest.

You can set these gray tabs with short cuts...

.....move the Timeline Indicator to the start of the area of interest, and, as you hold down the Alt key, hit the left bracket key [

.....move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the area of interest, and, as you hold down the Alt key, hit the right bracket key ]

2. Then use the spacebar and Enter key of computer main keyboard as controls.

Is that any closer to what you seek or still miles to go?

ATR

• 5. Re: How can I easily view a section of my movie multiple times
                  teddypierce Level 1

This seems to be doing it. Two questions. How do I remove the brackets when I am done? Where is all this wisdom hidden? I have several manuals and never even came close.

• 6. Re: How can I easily view a section of my movie multiple times
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

teddypierce

I have been working with Premiere Elements (hands on) since Premiere Elements 2 to the present 13, and I often do not accept the cannot do.

In searching for the can do, I have accumulated a lot information from my program explorations and experimentations which I have shared at this

forum and another.

As for those brackets, you can

a. move them back into place to span the whole Timeline content

....Timeline Indicator at the beginning of the Timeline...then the Alt key left bracket key detail

(to get to the beginning of the Timeline content, consider hitting the computer keyboard Home key)

....Then Timeline Indicator at the end of the Timeline content...then the Alt key right bracket key detail

(to get to the end of the Timeline content, consider hitting the computer keyboard End key)

or

b. Use the mouse cursor to move them back in place.

Thanks for the follow up. Glad the suggestion worked for you.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: How can I easily view a section of my movie multiple times
                      teddypierce Level 1

I restored the gray tabs to the start and end of the movie using the Home and End shortcuts. However, now the Home and End keys do not work, and your initial suggestion, Ctrl+Alt, no longer has any effect. It is like I inadvertently disabled these shortcuts. However, using the gray tabs on a section of the movie still works. Strange symptoms.

• 8. Re: How can I easily view a section of my movie multiple times
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

teddypierce

Thanks for the repy.

Let us see if deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file has any impact of this recent behavior.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete, and, if necessary, delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists.

Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the whole path given.

If the Home and End keys are not moving, then please click anywhere in the Work Area Bar, and then try the commands again.

We will be watching for your outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: How can I easily view a section of my movie multiple times
                          teddypierce Level 1

I poked around a bit more and it seems like your suggestions are sensitive

to cursor position. Everything works as you described as long as the cursor

is above the tracks (I think). Now, I have a few remaining questions if you

do not mind:

1. Is there a way to print a discussion from the community website?

2. When the timeline is expanded to full width, there is a small horizontal

line sticking out to the right of the timeline indicator. It grows and

shrinks with the amount of expansion. What is it telling me?

3. The yellow rectangle boxes that give clip data sometimes pop up in the

middle of other, non-PRE, screens, and the only way to get rid of it is to

go back to PRE. Can that be fixed?

Lastly, thank you so much for all your advice and rapid answers to my

questions. This is not the first time you have helped me, and I truly

appreciate it.

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:02 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 10. Re: How can I easily view a section of my movie multiple times
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

teddypierce

Thanks for the reply.

1. Is there a way to print a discussion from the community website?

With this thread opened, you can scroll to the top right of this page and select "View PDF" to get

PFD.JPG

This PDF can be printed or, if you want to save ink and paper, can be saved to your computer hard drive. This probably gives you

a better result than just doing a print of the forum regular page(s) from the browser File Menu/Print.

2. When the timeline is expanded to full width, there is a small horizontal

line sticking out to the right of the timeline indicator. It grows and

shrinks with the amount of expansion. What is it telling me?

If it is the bluest line that is just a line showing a frame unit. In the following screenshot the Timeline Indicator is corresponding to frame 756 which

You can see that represented in the readout area above the Timeline in the timecode or as frames. To switch between timecode and frames, Ctrl click

the readout.

FrameUnit.JPG

3. The yellow rectangle boxes that give clip data sometimes pop up in the

middle of other, non-PRE, screens, and the only way to get rid of it is to

go back to PRE. Can that be fixed?

Do you mean the pop up seen when the mouse cursor is over the file for a few second...

popup.JPG

I do not know how to disable that pop up. It is annoying especially when it turns up in another application when Premiere

Elements is temporarily minimized in the taskbar. I could not fine anything in preferences to deal with this. I did try disabling

the preference "Show Contextual Pop-up on Drop" but that did not work for me.

ATR