5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2015 4:54 AM by Laubender

Best TIFF properties for InDesign

doekewartena

When exporting to TIFF from photoshop there can be choossen between several options.

What are the best options for InDesign. I don't care about file size, I care about speed.

Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 11.47.28 AM.png

• 1. Re: Best TIFF properties for InDesign
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think this particular forum is not the appropriate one for your question. This forum is about scripting InDesign.

Nevertheless: File size could relate to speed. There are various factors to consider.

Where exactly, at what point of your workflow would you like to measure speed?

Placing images?
          Exporting images?
          Printing images?

Walking through pages where images are placed?
          Previewing images?

Would you also consider other file types like PSD or EPS for images?

Uwe

• 2. Re: Best TIFF properties for InDesign
            doekewartena Level 1

I want placing images faster. Now it takes 5 hours as can be seen in the other topic.

While placing pdf files I saw that Indesign was converting them to TIFF so I thought this is probably better.

I couldn't find any info of what is the best format to work with for InDesign.

PSD or EPS is also fine. As long as it get's the job done a bit faster then 5 hours.

I almost have a batch ready in TIFF format. I will post the results later.

• 3. Re: Best TIFF properties for InDesign
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Hmmm ... InDesign does not "convert PDF to TIFF" on placing. It only creates a smaller preview image -- and a good thing that is, because if you already feel creating the preview takes too long, imagine how long it would take to render each PDF in its entirety, each time it is displayed!

If this is for use with a script (you mention another one; link?), you could try to open your InDesign document "windowless". I'd have to check but I don't think you can switch creating previews off.

• 4. Re: Best TIFF properties for InDesign

@Jongware – we can prevent, better we can postpone the rendering of previews while placing.

After all images are placed, you can change to highres preview if you want as you scroll through the pages. The preview rendering process will be much faster then.

From my German UI:

1-PreferencesForView.png

2-View.png

3-PlacedImage.png

Also uncheck preview in your Pages panel…

Uwe

• 5. Re: Best TIFF properties for InDesign

See also the following thread in this forum:

Re: Create image thumbnail later

mmmathur | Dec 16, 2014 4:41 PM

Here I quote OP (original poster): "It helped me reducing INDD file generation time by half."

Uwe