Lost icosn for InDesign docs, advised to run this, but the file does not
exist on my Win 7 64 bit pc.
Icons were fine a few days ago
(Not answered yet)
How it was solved:(InDesign file icons generic blank and not proper icons)
This happened on 20-02-2015, and all was OK the last time I saw the icons.
Things tried that did NOT help:
- System Restore failed and a restore via Safe Mode still did not solve the issue.
- Reset Windows Icons Cache via a downloaded utility .bat file, did not help.
- Reinstalled InDesign (only) CS6, kept my Prefs but did not help. No ‘Repair’ option.
What DID help:
- Downloaded utility ‘Default Programs Editor’ (mentioned on Adobe forums).
- Get it here: Default Programs Editor
- Ran this:
File Type Settings / Delete An Extension / Chose .indd (InDesign) / Delete Extension / Close utility.
Double click one of the blank InDesign document icons / Allow windows to ‘Re-Associate’ the file.
Re-run ‘Default Programs Editor’:
File Type Settings / Icon / ‘Browse’ to Indesign.exe / Change to icon desired / OK / ‘Save to Registry’ / Close utility.
I hope that this helps someone.
On my system the bat file is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Shell
But on my system there is no bat file there, or anywhere else in my Win 7 64bit.
There is also a manual way to register the icons, but that did not work either, hence the method I used.
Now that I think about it some more, it might have been included on the "extras" disk as something you would add manually.