8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2015 3:07 PM by ssprengel

License # invalid...

Tropper1

I purchased Lightroom 5 in Jan 15 and last week my hard drive crashed. New HD installed and downloaded the trial of Lightroom and when I try and use the license # to activate, I receive the error message. What do I do from here? Thanks.

• 1. Re: License # invalid...
          Keith_Reeder Level 4

Which error message?

Word-for-word please.

• 2. Re: License # invalid...
            Tropper1 Level 1

The serial number you entered is invalid. Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact Customer Support.

• 3. Re: License # invalid...
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does the serial number you’re entering contain 24-digits (no letters) and start with 1160?  If so, I’d do what the message says and contact Customer Support—via chat would be the easiest although there might be a wait.   If not, then you’re not entering a serial number but something else.  This is a public forum so don’t post what you’re entering, here.

• 4. Re: License # invalid...
                Tropper1 Level 1

It's Adobe's 24-digit number starting with 1160. Was hoping for a solution in the forum but will pursue the chat route…thanks.

• 5. Re: License # invalid...
                  DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Just a thought, when you purchased LR 5 did you upgrade from an earlier version? If so you will need the upgrade license key and also the license key from the earlier version.

You first have to enter the LR5 upgrade key and then the previous license key, when prompted. If you enter the earlier key first you will get an invalid error message.

• 6. Re: License # invalid...

Other than you might be typing it wrong or that you’re entering a LR4 serial number for LR5 or something simple like that, forum users can’t look at your account to see what is registered to know if what you’re typing is right, nor would it be advisable to post one for someone else to test with. 

If this is the third time it’s been installed on a computer (even if the last two were the same computer with a new HD in between) that could be a problem if Adobe is tracking how many installs and wants to make sure it’s not being pirated, but if it’s only the second install (both on the same computer) then that wouldn’t be a problem.  Presumably you’re using the same AdobeID to install with, right, otherwise that would be a problem, I think.

• 7. Re: License # invalid...
                      DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "if Adobe is tracking how many installs and wants to make sure it’s not being pirated,"

As far as I am aware this is not monitored, you can install / uninstall as many times as necessary. You are just expected to adhere to two active installs.

• 8. Re: License # invalid...

I’ve also seen people post on here about odd things happening and Adobe could be doing some sort of checking, just not as explicit as for PS, but I don’t know for sure.  I guess someone who has installed it more than two times using the same AdobeID would know by experience.

There was also a post on here recently where someone said they had an exclamation point in a circle and a note to contact customer support when they typed in their serial number and in that case it was something messed up with the licensing mechanism on their computer, not a serial-number problem, exactly.