Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automating manifest file Links

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out a way to automate the process of creating a manifest file for a specific video. (I.e. File is uploaded to a folder watched by AME > AME encodes the file > I receive a *.m3u8 file that I can give to a client.) Similar to uploading a file to youtube and getting a link to watch it. I've done a bunch of searching and have come up empty. Any direction on how to tackle this would be great.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe media server generates m3u8 files on the fly for a vod content...you can drop on a mp4 file and request a m3u8 corresponding to it and it should work.

If for e.g you vod file is test.mp4 and is placed in webroot/vod folder in the default installation of AMS then you can request the playback of that file by following URL

http://<server-host>/hds-vod/test.mp4.m3u8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hparmar,

If I put the address as you have shown above, I receive a 400 bad request error. Am I not doing something right? Also, if I put the manifest file in, as shown but with the .f4m extension, it only shows the xml data. I think I'm just missing something here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little correction:

HDS URL Is: http://<server-host>/hds-vod/test.mp4.f4m

HLS URL Is: http://<server-host>/hls-vod/test.mp4.m3u8

You need to have HDS or HLS player on the client side...The manifest files(f4m or m3u8) will be input to players that would play those streams.

A browser will not play it from simply the URL string.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok that I can wrap my head around. With that said, is there a way to play a file directly from the browser from simply the URL string?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try safari browser to see if it invokes a built-in player for HLS playback.

for HDS a standard player is shipped with default AMS installation...for e.g

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Media Server 5\webroot\strobeplayer_setup.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately safari gives me the same 400 error (http://ipaddress.com/hds-vod/videoname.mp4.m3u8

The default player works from the webroot, however, that is coded into an html page. I just need for the file link to work directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m3u8 goes with HLS

f4m goes with HDS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha.. So on safari, using the HLS-VOD, it does play directly. NOw to get that to play in IE, Chrome, Firefox.. is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No IE e.t.c do not support HLS natively.

You need HLS players for that. HLS player running within IE, Chrome  or Firefox should do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines