10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2007 9:04 AM by BerubeS

HTML content within a Container

$hit_House
      Hello.

New to FLEX and wondering if there is anyway to provide HTML content within a container, sort of like iFrames or HTML frames? Is there anyway to do this with FLEX?
        • 1. Re: HTML content within a Container
          peterent Level 2
          The Flash Player (Flex app is compiled to a SWF which is loaded and run by the Flash Player) has limited HTML support. You can look up the tags it does support in the Flex documentation.

What you'll find isn't what you want. But we are working to correct this with Project Apollo. You can read about Apollo on the Adobe Labs set (labs.adobe.com). If you can, please join the public beta when you see it announced (I don't have a date). Your feedback will be valuable and very welcome.
          • 2. Re: HTML content within a Container
            BerubeS Level 1
            Will this eventually be available in Flex Builder for use in web-based SWF applications? This is a huge requirement for us. We are currently using the 'iFrame' hack to get around this but are plagued with event handling issues to correctly hide the iFrame when needed. In large scale products, such we are working on, url integration with our components of our products is a must requirement. Any insight here would be great on what we can do in Flex Builder 2.01 for this.

We also have a requirement that Linux, Windows (and secondary requirement MAC) systems can use our product.
            • 3. Re: HTML content within a Container
              peterent Level 2
              If you download the Apollo trial you'll see that it integrates with Flex Builder.
              • 4. Re: HTML content within a Container
                BerubeS Level 1
                Yes, but is this HTMLControl a component that works with the existing Flash Player?
                In this folder of the SDK:
                C:\apollo\sdk\runtime\adobe apollo\versions\1.0.m3
                is ApolloWebKit.dll

So unless i'm wrong, HTMLControl may only work with the Apollo runtime?
                • 5. Re: HTML content within a Container
                  peterent Level 2
                  Right now it works with the Apollo runtime while Apollo is being developed. Right now we cannot offer a solution with the current Flash Player.
                  • 6. Re: HTML content within a Container
                    BerubeS Level 1
                    That was my fear,
                    I would strongly suggest if possible an official iFrame control. Some have developed them in the Flex community but it is a bit lacking. This is such a huge requirement for URL integrated applications.
                    • 7. Re: HTML content within a Container
                      peterent Level 2
                      Here is the URL to our wish form: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

But keep in mind that we are a) aware of the need and b) are implementing it with Apollo.
                      • 8. Re: HTML content within a Container
                        BerubeS Level 1
                        Understood, but the problem is this adds a new requirement of the Apollo runtime. One of the reasons we were excited about Apollo was the statement that it will work with the existing Flash Player 9 (which is already crossplatform)

The apollo runtime isn't cross platform

Our goal is to use HTMLControl with Flex Builder and have it work with the existing highly distributed Flash Player 9 to not add additional requirements to our customers.

This seems like a step back (requiring a new runtime)

Is there no way to use HTMLControl in a SWF?
                        • 9. Re: HTML content within a Container
                          peterent Level 2
                          I haven't played that much with Apollo. If possible, get the Apollo system and see what it is about; I might have my facts mixed up about that.

The Apollo runtime will be cross-platform and be downloaded just like the Flash Player. If you have your app as a download on your site and someone downloads it and installs it, they will get the Apollo runtime (or not if they already have it).
                          • 10. Re: HTML content within a Container
                            BerubeS Level 1
                            I will definately try that, if you have any (or can get any) additional infomration on this that would be great.