12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 9:26 AM by andy_wilk

Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow

dvomberge Level 1

Hello forum,

I bought a brandnew Apple iMac 27" 5k with 32 GB RAM, i7 processor with 4 GHz and the 4 GB graphic engine.

I'm using Lightroom since I have heared that Apple will stop supporting Aperture.

With my older iMac (late 2012) there was no problems with Lightroom.

Now with my brandnew and not cheap iMac I have great performance problems.

The cut- and rotate function (Cmd + R) is horrible slow and ruckelig.

Is somebody here to help me?

In the Adobe suportcenter I havn't found a telephonenumber, only the possibility to write down my problems here.

Thanks for your help!

Regards

Dietrich

• 1. Re: Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow
          dj_paige Level 9

I doubt there's much you can do to fix the problem at this time, this has been discussed in a number of threads recently, the problem is that the CPU is too slow to generate enough pixels to fill a 5K screen in a timely fashion.

A workaround is to reduce Lightroom to 1/4 of your screen size, you should see a noticeable speed improvement; or change the screen resolution to HD (1920x1080)

• 2. Re: Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow
            dvomberge Level 1

Hello dj_paige,

Many thanks for your fast response!

This is very hard for me to read that... I spent 3.800 EUR for an iMac that is not able to generate enough pixels...

That is not good, so it is an "Apple-Problem" and not a "Lightroom-Problem".

Puh!

Regards

Dietrich

• 3. Re: Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow
              dj_paige Level 9

That is not good, so it is an "Apple-Problem" and not a "Lightroom-Problem".

I would say that it is both and neither, really, pointing the finger of blame solves nothing

A faster CPU is needed, but perhaps more efficient code in Lightroom can also improve or eliminate the problem (and perhaps not!)

The real issue is that you have to select hardware and software that are matched to the task at hand, and right now a 5K screen is not matched with the hardware and software

A minor technical correction:

I spent 3.800 EUR for an iMac that is not able to generate enough pixels...

... an iMac that is generates pixels too slowly to fill the screen in a timely fashion (of course, it can generate enough pixels, the issue is speed)

• 4. Re: Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow
                Steveatesh Level 1

the problem appears to be Lightroom rather than your iMac. The fact that other similar software such as Capture One Pro 8 and Aftershot Pro2 are not slow to use on a retina iMac, even the base specification, shows that LR is the problem. I tried both and they whisked along on my base spec retina iMac. LR on the other hand has the occasional lag or jerk with some tools.

IF it it was the iMac at fault then other similar programs would show the same lag and jerks, but they don't.

others have said on here that Adobe have it on their radar, so maybe LR 6 will solve it.

• 5. Re: Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The supposed leaked details for LR 6, which may be entire bogus and based on wishful thinking as some sort of click-bait scheme, suggest LR6 will have performance improvements and will be able to do some graphics card acceleration.  The information was originally in French so something may have been lost in the translation as well as not being real.

• 6. Re: Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow
                    photo-enthusiast Level 1

dj_paige wrote:

I doubt there's much you can do to fix the problem at this time, this has been discussed in a number of threads recently

I see a thread talk about the 5K iMac, and slowness in general, but not much else.  I understand CPU power relative to display size is the issue.

I have yet to find threads about issues with the Mac Pro at 4K.  Does the relatively new iMac do fine with 4K, or is it that Lightroom users prefer iMacs?  Or better yet, does anyone have experience with Dell's 5k on a Mac Pro?

Looks like the iMac is still not feasible for now.

What issues do you see discussed?  I'd like to read more.

• 7. Re: Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow
                      Steveatesh Level 1

It doesn't appear to be CPU to file size that is the problem at all. Its the way LR is coded.

Evidence for this/ well try Capture One pro, Aftershot pro 2, Affinity, Pixelmator etc all of which manage to work very quickly on a retina iMac.

I tried them all and they were great on my i5 Retina. It is just LR that has lag, and even then its only with some actions such as crop.

iMac is perfectly feasible for now, fingers crossed it will be even better when LR6 comes out.

• 8. Re: Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow
                        dj_paige Level 9

It doesn't appear to be CPU to file size that is the problem at all.

As has been stated in many places, it is CPU speed versus screen size that is the problem.

• 9. Re: Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow
                          Steveatesh Level 1

it has yes, just as it has been repudiated in many places too.

Curious as as to whether you have got an IMac retina and if so have you tried the different programs?

i Have and in my personal experience the problem was only with LR, and it wasn't much of a problem even then.

• 10. Re: Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow
                            andy_wilk

I too, have iMac 2014; 4Hz; 32GB; 5K, having up until that point worked on a late '09 2.66GHz iMac - I could have bought a Mac Pro....or anything on offer.

But, this purchase was the result of my going into the Apple Store and having two lengthy discussions/consultations with the Business Team, the sole objective of having them, the experts, specify the best Mac for me and my requirements i.e. to all intents and purposes, operating at 'click speed'.

The team was in full possession of my workflow, the software I used, the file sizes etc. etc......even though it is optimised, I still find my iMac disappointingly slow for the money spent. It boots up quickly enough, and somedays appears to perform better than others, but still I find lags in cropping, loading, using sliders, previews. Other than what I would call slow processing,  the most annoying issue is a lag when I use any slider - click on the slider and the image darkens for a second before returning to the setting values. Move the slider and the image darkens slightly, but after a second will return the new value of the new setting. It is impossible to make fine, smooth, real-time adjustments.

BTW, works fine with PS6.

Tried phoning Adobe Customer Support.......no point.

Tried 'Chat'.....no point.

Ended up here in hope

• 11. Re: Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow
                              dj_paige Level 9

As we have been discussing throughout this thread and in many other threads, the architecture underlying the code in Photoshop is different than the code in Lightroom. You cannot compare the performance of PS to the performance of LR as if they operated the same, because they don't operate the same.

Photoshop only has to adjust the pixels affected by the latest edit; Lightroom recomputes the ENTIRE image from scratch every single time you perform an edit, and if there are copmutation-intensive steps such as lens corrections, spot healing, brushing, etc., this will worsen the problem.

So, the CPU in Lightroom has to compute and then display a huge number of pixels on your 5K screen every single time you perform an edit. It is possible that even with your 4Hz CPU, this is not fast enough to compute all of those pixels "instantaneously" so you see a smooth working develop module with no lag or hesitation. Whether you want to blame Lightroom, or the CPU, or Roger Goodell for this is irrelevant. That is where we are at this time.

Many people report that if you run Lightroom in HD mode (1920x1080) instead of 5K mode, then the problem goes away. I don't know what settings are needed to do this on a Mac, you can search the forum for the answer to that.

There are claims that all of this will be fixed in Lightroom 6. I don't know how credible these claims are, but I believe Adobe is indeed working on it.

• 12. Re: Apple iMac 5k late 2014 and Lightroom 5.7 very slow
                                andy_wilk Level 1

Thanks

I did appreciate the point you were making about CPU to 5K display, and will try using HD.

I guess I was also expressing some sympathy - empathy, with the guy who had invested a lot in the exact same spec iMac as I did.

I tried very particularly to match my spec to my requirements, which is why I passed the risk to those who could best manage it, thus gave it to Apple Business Team to specify without limit anything from their product range.

It’s a great machine generally, but falls short of a number of the expectations I was given…and, they don’t, apparently, have a better spec for me.

Hey ho….let’s hope LR6 is not a rumour, and that this ‘fix’ is included.

Have a great week.