16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 11:40 AM by Steveatesh

Importing from camera, brings old in with new?

Steveatesh Level 1

I'm using LR 5.7.1 on an iMac with Yosemite.

My camera is a Nikon D5000 and I shoot in RAW, no JPEG.

When I connect the camera to the computer to import directly into LR, I make sure it's set to only import new photographs. However, each time I go to import LR also brings in some (but not all) photos that have been previously imported.

II've tried this about four or five times in the month I've had LR and each time is the same.

please can you advise where I should be looking or what I'm doing wrong?

The Nikon software I was using works perfectly and only ever imports new photos, so I'm suspecting something about LR rather than the camera.

• 1. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
          dj_paige Level 9

When I connect the camera to the computer to import directly into LR, I make sure it's set to only import new photographs

Exactly what did you do? What is the Lightroom command/function/options that you used?

• 2. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
            Steveatesh Level 1

On the Library module, I connected my D5000 to the iMac via the USB cable and turned it on. The camera shows just under the source menu heading at the top of the select a source window. I click the Import button on the bottom left of the screen.  I select the camera then make sure the New Photos is selected in the middle of the top menu bar.

The thumbnails of the camera images appear in the workspace one by one, but it includes photos on the camera SD card that have previously been imported via Lightroom into the program.

I believe New Photos means it should only identify for import new photos, i.e. those that have not been previously imported into Lightroom?

I then add a key word on the file handling side, check everything else is as i want it there and press Import button bottom right tof the screen. They import as I set them too but include the already imported photos too, but then when, after taking more pictures, I want to import the new photos, some of the already imported photos appear for import again.

• 3. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is it possible that you deleted some of the photos after you imported them? If so, then Lightroom would import them again because they would register as new images.

• 5. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
                Steveatesh Level 1

Thanks for that suggestion, that is possible yes. I'll do some tests with the camera and come back in the next couple days. Thanks.

• 6. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

After importing the images from the camera, is there a reason that you do not reformat the card to remove all the old photos?

• 7. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
                    Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

A good reason not to reformat the card is that it works as an extra bacup until you actually have to reformat it.

• 8. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
                      Steveatesh Level 1

Yup, thats why I don't reformat it until I have to, gives me several weeks or months of extra peace of mind just in case !

• 9. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
                        Keith_Reeder Level 4

Per Berntsen wrote:

A good reason not to reformat the card is that it works as an extra backup until you actually have to reformat it.

That's a really poor backup "strategy"...

• 10. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
                          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

I meant as an extra backup, not as the only backup. Like the OP points out, it can take weeks or months before I get through my three cards, and until I need to reuse a card, the images might as well stay there. You never know what may happen, and you may find yourself in a situation where you're really pleased that you didn't format that card two months ago ...

• 11. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom will reimport photos that are not currently in the catalog, either because they are new or because they have been removed from the LR catalog through the normal process of deleting unwanted photos.

If you want to keep old photos on your card, including those you've deleted from LR, then after importing new photos from the card, you'll need to rename the photos on the card so they don't have a recognizable extension:  JJJ for JPGs, CCC for CR2s, NNN for NEFs, etc.

The one way I know how to rename just the extension of photos is to open a CMD prompt on Windows, use CD to get to the folder where the photos reside, and use a commands such as:

ren *.jpg *.jjj  

ren *.nef *.nnn

I am not sure how to accomplish this in Windows Explorer or Finder.

As part of your import process you should be backing up the imported photos to another hard-drive than where the normal import process puts them.  I would suggest that be an external drive so if the internal hard-drive or even the computer, itself, fails, you still have things on that external hard-drive.

Myself, I use two external hard-drives.  One that holds my LR catalog and my current working set of photos, and another drive that I copy any changes to overnight or on demand during the day.  Each of these external drives is a USB3 2TB drive, and it takes about 30-minutes to scan everything and copy any changes or new photos from one to the other.

• 12. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
                              Bob Somrak Level 5

Keith_Reeder wrote:

That's a really poor backup "strategy"...

If it is your ONLY backup this is true but its still ANOTHER backup and you can never have too many.

• 13. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
                                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Steveatesh wrote:

I believe New Photos means it should only identify for import new photos, i.e. those that have not been previously imported into Lightroom?

Don't know if this has already been suggested, but make sure 'Don't Import Suspected Duplicates' is checked in the Import module. If it is unchecked already imported image files will show and be imported.

• 14. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
                                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JimHess wrote:

Is it possible that you deleted some of the photos after you imported them? If so, then Lightroom would import them again because they would register as new images.

There's a workaround suggested by Victoria Bampton so rejected and deleted image files don't show as 'New Photos':

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_dont_re_import_deleted_pho tos_with_new_photos#reply_6460788

> LR knows I deleted the images, so show them in a different way (or not marked them as new).

That's the problem - once you've deleted them within LR, you've told LR to forget that they ever existed.

May I suggest a tweak to the workflow which may do the trick, at least until Adobe comes round to your way of thinking?

I can understand you not wanting to just reject them and keep them on the hard drive, as that'll take up hard drive space. But what if you marked them as rejected, dragged all of the rejected ones to a 'delete me' folder once you've finished culling, and then switch to Explorer/Finder to delete the photos out of that folder.

The references would remain in the catalog in that 'delete me' folder until you choose to wipe the card and remove those references, but the fact that LR still has those records would solve the import problem.

• 15. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
                                    Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Todd Shaner wrote:

Steveatesh wrote:

Don't know if this has already been suggested, but make sure 'Don't Import Suspected Duplicates' is checked in the Import module. If it is unchecked already imported image files will show and be imported.

I'm sure this will be the solution...... please try and keep it simple folks.

• 16. Re: Importing from camera, brings old in with new?
                                      Steveatesh Level 1

Yes, it was the fact I had deleted pictures then LR brings them back in again   (it wasn't the "Don't import suspected duplicates" button, but thanks for the suggestion anyway).

That link to the same problem is four years old and yet Adobe have not fixed this yet? My camera software (Nikon) doesn't even do that - it only brings in photographs once even though some are deleted!.

I can either grin and bare it and manually uptick the previously imported photos that have already been deleted from LR,  or adopt the suggestion a per the link or not use LR to import my photos. This would mean bringing them into the iMac from the Nikon software then importing from the folder on my hard drive.

I'll have to think about the best way and hope Adobe eventually correct this.

Once again thanks everybody, appreciate your help.