4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2015 2:44 PM by Teri Bloom

Exporting is VERY slow in LR 4.4 on MacPro

Teri Bloom Level 1

Hi,

I use LR 4.4 on a MacPro with tons of memory and space.

This week I deleted ALOT of images and saved the catalog upon quitting.

Today photos are exporting SUPER slow so I cleared all caches on my mac and re-started, yet slow export persists.  Also emptied the cache which has 20 GB set.

Any ideas what else I can do to speed up exporting?

Maybe there is another cache or preference to delete?

thanks so much, Teri

• 1. Re: Exporting is VERY slow in LR 4.4 on MacPro
          dj_paige Level 9

Is it just exporting that is slow, or are there other actions in Lightroom that are slow?

Do these photos have large amounts of brushing or spot healing?

Have you optimized your catalog recently?

• 2. Re: Exporting is VERY slow in LR 4.4 on MacPro
            Teri Bloom Level 1

Thanks so much DJ, appreciate your kind help!

I never optimize but am doing so now… however system is saying I optimized yesterday, when I backed-up upon quitting.

Does the optimization happen as part of the catalog back-up upon quitting?

Yes,  the slow to export images had a lot of gradated filters and brush strokes as I did some retouching… sounds like this retouching work can slow down the export?

thanks again for shedding some light on this!

Teri

• 3. Re: Exporting is VERY slow in LR 4.4 on MacPro
              dj_paige Level 9

Yes, indeed, lots of brushing and spot healing (not one or two spot healing or one or two brushings) will slow things down considerably. If that's the only problem, and other photos that don't have spot healing or brushing export at a normal speed, then I would probably say there's really nothing you can do, that's the way Lightroom works.

If you frequently need to do lots of brushing or lots of spot healing, that would be better performed in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements or GIMP or similar program instead of Lightroom.

• 4. Re: Exporting is VERY slow in LR 4.4 on MacPro
                Teri Bloom Level 1

Thanks DJ, really appreciate your help!  There's always more to learn, and your answer never dawned on me since I don't usually do so many spot adjustments.  Again, many thanks for replying :-)