22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2015 1:00 PM by philipk90920786

Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?

philipk90920786 Level 1

Just started using Premiere Elements 12 after using version 6 for a long time. I'm having several problems.

One is that the slideshow that I burned to a DVD doesn't fill the entire TV screen when played. What do I need to do?

• 1. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

philipk

What did you produce NTSC or PAL DVD-VIDEO 4:3 on DVD disc or NTSC or PAL DVD-VIDEO 16:9 on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc?

What is the setting on your TV DVD Player or whatever the player is that you are using?

Miscellaneous questions...what computer operating system are you using and have you updated 12 to 12.1 from an opened project's Help Menu/Update?

We will be watching for your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
            philipk90920786 Level 1

I  selected NTSC for the burn to disc but did not see any options for the 4:3 or 16:9.

Our TV/DVD player is set for 4:3 standard TV, but it can be changed to 16:9.

We are using Windows 13.1 and have now done the updates.

What is confusing to me is that I have done similar size slideshows before in Photoshop Elements 6 and never encountered the size issue for our TV.

I did have issues with creating the wmv file but my guess is that was due to the size of the pictures used for the slides.  I've been reading about the need to resize.

Again something that I did not encounter in Elements 6.

Appreciate your help,

Phil

• 3. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

On the burn to side of things...

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

disc

If you select NTSC_Dolby DVD, then you are going to get 4:3 (DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc).

If you select NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD, then you are going to get 16:9 (DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc).

The other half of this is what type of project did you set up.

We can find this out by you letting us know what the readings are for the following

under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General....

Editing Mode

Timebase

Frame Size

Pixel Aspect Ratio

even if the fields look grayed out.

And, before you go to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, are you seeing any black borders in

the monitor that you see in the Edit area?

All that information should direct us on what needs to be done to get the end product that you need.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                philipk90920786 Level 1

I created the slide show by going to the Organizer / Create / Slide Show / Add media from files.

The only options that were presented were the preferences in regards to length of slide, transitions, etc.

I found the following on the editing menu;

Editing Mode     HD 1080i

Timebase          29.97 frames

Frame Size       1920 Hor     1080 Vert

Pixel Aspect ratio     square pixels 1.0

And lastly there were blackborders on the sides.

Phil

• 5. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

philipk

Thanks for the additional information.

I think the following details should resolve the issue...

The critical factor behind the following is to set the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 project preset manually before you output the Elements Organizer 12/12.1

slideshow to Premiere Elements 12/12.1.

1.Open your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 program to its Expert workspace.

2. Go To File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

3. In Change Settings area, select the project preset = NTSC DV Standard.

OK out of there.

4. You will next see the new project dialog. Make sure that there is a check mark next to :"Force

Selected Project Setting on This Project". Also, give the project a name while you are in that new project dialog. OK out of there.

5. Back in the Expert workspace, click on the Elements Organizer Tab at the bottom of the workspace in

order to open the Elements Organizer. In the Elements Organizer, double click the thumbnail for your "Slideshow Project". That should open the slideshow in the Elements Organizer 12/12.1 Slideshow Editor.

6. Assuming that the Slideshow is ready for output, click on the Output Tab at the top of that workspace. Select

"Edit with Premiere Elements Editor"

7. Slideshow should open in Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Editor, with no black borders. On the Timeline should be your slideshow

as a whole video. In Project Assets should be copies of the slideshow's assets and file.

8. If you want to do further significant edits of the slideshow now on the Timeline, then right click the slideshow video on the

Timeline, and click on Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow.

9. When you get to burn to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc. go to

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

disc with Presets = NTSC_Dolby DVD.

That is a 4:3 product which should be compatible with your 4:3 TV settings.

Make sure that you are not putting too much on the disc. With the DVD disc in the burner tray, check out the burn dialog's Quality Area for Space Required and Bitrate,

having a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space". You do not want to see a Bitrate too much lower than the max of

8.00 Mbps.

Looking forward to your results.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

• 6. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                    philipk90920786 Level 1

Two steps forward and one step back !

Following your instructions I was able to do what you suggested.

Before I burned it to disc I took the time to preview my project.

Two issues were apparent that don't show the same when developing it in the Organizer.

I had inserted videos with the intent of hearing the sound on the video. 

When previewed the audio track that followed the video had filled in under the video so the rest of the audio track did not match the slide show.

Also the edited slides were now so large on the screen in the Timeline in the preview that they didn't represent what was intended. This is probably due to the way I edited and saved them.  Basically I just wanted to trim a few seconds off the end.

Before I start another slideshow (325 slides - 45 minutes - audio track) any special presets that I should do to avoid the problems I experienced with the current project ?

Appreciate your assistance. Thanks

• 7. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

philipk

I am going to go over the whole workflow from Elements Organizer through Premiere Elements burn to disc.

But, just want to double check your details to make sure that we are together with them...

What are the pixel dimensions of the 325 slides that you had in the Elements Organizer, selected, and then clicked Create/Slideshow.

When the Slideshow Preferences dialog appeared, was it set like the following screenshot?

SlideshowDialog.JPG

When you finished with the Elements Organizer 12/12.1 slideshow, did you use the Output =

Edit With Premiere Elements Editor? In that output was there more than the 325 slides, maybe some video and audio files?

If so, what was the source and properties of that video and audio? What was the total duration of the slideshow immediately

before you sent it over to Premiere Elements Editor?

Output.JPG

And, was Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Editor pre-set for the NTSC DV Standard before

you gave the OK for Slide Show Output = Edit with Premiere Elements Editor?

When the Elements Organizer slideshow got to the Premiere Elements Timeline, did it look

OK in the Edit area monitor?

Let us stop here and review what we have. Once we know that up to here we are OK,

then we can move on to the Premiere Elements 12/12,1 Editor details through burn to disc

DVD--VIDEO.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                        philipk90920786 Level 1

Thank you for continuing to work through this process with me.  I've made at least six other slideshows when I had Elements 6 and really never did much other than construct them.

I had a little trouble creating wmv files in the past but could usually change a transition and get it taken care of.

The pixel dimensions vary.  Some of my photos I added were 4288x3216, some 2119X1600, some of the photo collages I used were 2420x1870.

All of the photos or photo collages were added from files not directly from the Organizer.

The slide show preferences appeared as you indicated in your response to me.

I used the Output=   and I believe I selected burn to disc rather than Edit w/Elements Editor. I have a total of 335 slides of which 13 are video clips ranging from 13 seconds to 50 seconds.  I added a text to two of these clips.  There was also an audio track for the entire slideshow.   The source of the videos were from my files and some were edited.  It has been a few months since I worked on that portion.  I'm not sure what you mean by "properties" ?   The audio portion again came from files on the computer.  Some were  mp3, some wav, and some wma.

The slide show is 43 minutes 41 seconds in length.

I'm not sure of the original pre-set, I have since changed the settings as you last instructed.

The first time I burned this I used the Publish+Share and really didn't look at it on the Timeline.  This past time when I previewed it the slides looked pretty good on the timeline, just a narrow area of black on the sides.  It was the edited video that was off. On the timeline only the center of the slide appeared rather then the whole picture.

Phil

• 9. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                          freethedata Level 1

Let me make some observations about this issue.  Lets say you have files containing 16:9 still images.  You make them into a slideshow and save the slideshow as a WMV file.  The .wmv file is saved in 4:3 aspect ratio and inside that file is a 16:9 image with bars on the top and bottom to fill out the file.  Now you want to input the .wmv files into Elements.  If the project setting for elements is Widescreen, Elements will add sidebars to the .wmv file to make a widescreen image. Now you want to save these images (with bars added a the top in the export as .wmv process and bars added at the side after importing the .wmv files) into a DVD.  DVD videos are in 4:3 aspect ratio.  Now you have two options for creating the DVD file:  Widescreen or normal.  If you select Widescreen, the Widescreen image will be squeezed horizontally into the 4:3 DVD frame, like an anamorphic lens.  If you select normal, the Widescreen image will be letterboxed within the 4:3 DVD frame, resulting in a letterboxed image nested within another letterboxed image.  Elements defaults to Widescreen for DVD burning, so lets say that is what you did.  To play back normal size, you first have to set your DVD player to horizontally expand anamorphic images, to counteract the anamorphic squeezing of a widescreen file into a 4;3 DVD frame.  Now you should have a 16:9 image with bars all around of a widescreen TV.  Now set your TV to zoom, and the picture will expand to full screen, cropping out the bars!

• 10. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

philipk

Thanks for the reply.

Just wanted to let you know that I have seen your post 8 and will be responding to it in full detail in the morning.

One of the major differences between version 11, 12, and 13 versus versions earlier than 11 is that the earlier

ones used the default project preset NTSC DV Standard or PAL DV Standard; whereas, 11, 12, and 13 use a HD default

project preset NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25.

We will connect that to what is going on next and work out the details to get frames displaying without black borders at the

project level.

ATR

• 11. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                              freethedata Level 1

So in earlier versions of Premier, you could preset Standard rather than Widescreen.  Then when .wmv files containing widescreen images are imported into Elements, no sidebars would be added to the image in the workspace; it would remain 4:3.  Then if the files are saved as a Standard (not Widescreen) DVD, there would be no anamorphic processing of the images.  The 4:3 DVD file would contain a wide screen image with bars top and bottom, but no side bars, like a commercial DVD of a widescreen movie.  To get a full size image on a widescreen TV, you would only need to set the TV to Zoom, and would not have to stretch the image in the DVD as well, as has to be done in later versions of Elements.

Sent from my iPad

• 12. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

Based on our discussions in your other thread on Transitions,

Re: Transitions

where you include description of your slideshows, there seems to be some important details about your slideshow workflow

that need explanation and clarification.

Please verify that what you wrote in the thread that we are now in is part of the same slideshow that you are describing in the Transitions thread.

Thanks

ATR

• 13. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                                  freethedata Level 1

The thread about Transitions and the thread about DVD filling the screen are two different issues and have no relation to each other.  On the DVD thread. I am explaining how the solution is in settings for the DVD player and TV more than in settings in Elements.

Sent from my iPad

• 14. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

The fundamental things that you need to consider...

1. Premiere Elements earlier than 11 uses as its default project settings NTSC DV Standard 4:3; whereas your Premiere Elements 12 uses as its default project settings NTSC AVCHD AVCHD HD1080i30 16:9.

2. Your particular Elements Organizer 12 Slideshow Editor's slideshow is 4:3. So, you want your Elements Elements 12 slideshow 4:3 going into a Premiere Elements 12 project with 4:3 description.

That is not going to happen unless you manually set the Premiere Elements 12 project preset to NTSC DV Standard 4:3 before you output the Elements Organizer 12 slideshow to Premiere Elements 12 Editor.

3. Your photo sources are 4288 x 3216, 2119 x 1600, and 2420 x 1870. They are all 4:3 which supports the choice of 4:3 workflow throughout.

Important: We could get into the matter of whether or not to resize the photos "not to exceed 1000 x 750 pixels". The level of your computer resources may force you into the decision on to resize or not resize for your 335 stills. You can easily batch resize those photos all to 1000 x 750 pixels using Photoshop Elements Editor File Menu/Process Multiple Files. You can look at the following with as is photos and also with those resized.

4. The pros and cons of outputting the slideshow as wmv slideshow or non wmv slideshow.  If you use the Elements Organizer 12 Output option of Edit with Premiere Elements Editor, then, when the slideshow (whole video version) can be broken apart for significant additional edits. You cannot do that with an wmv version imported into the Premiere Elements Editor.

5. If you output the wmv slideshow way...no break apart elements organizer slideshow, but no thin black borders to the right and left of the image in Premiere Elements

If you output the non wmv slideshow way..... break apart elements organizer slideshow possible, but thin black borders to the right and left of the images in Premiere Elements...can be scaled out for Timeline whole video with a minor adjust in the project for computer playback of the export file. If you leave as is, they probably will not be seen during TV DVD player playback.

The non wmv way...

a. Create your Elements Organizer 12 slideshow using your 4:3 photos 1000 x 750*.

b. Important. Before slideshow Output to Premiere Elements Editor, manually set Premiere Elements project preset to NTSC DV Standard project preset

c. Then output slideshow to Premiere Elements Editor, using Output = Edit with Premiere Elements Editor.

d. When the whole video arrives on the Timeline, you may see thin black borders to the right and left of the image. Those will probably not be seen on the DVD VIDEO

on DVD disc played back in your TV DVD player. If the Timeline is to be for file played back on the computer, then you can click on the whole Timeline slideshow to select it and

then go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded, and set Scale to 102.8% (check mark next to Constrain Proportions).

e. Continue on to menus and Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and NTSC_Dolby DVD.

* The as is pixel dimensions (varied) seem to impact negatively on trying to use the Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow command and scaling of the broken apart items.

This might speak to batch resizing to 1000 x 750 to take full advantage of that break apart integration perk.

The wmv way....

a. Again, have Premiere Elements set ahead of time for NTSC DV Standard project preset.

b. Output the slideshow using Save As a File Movie File (.wmv) with Slide Size = DVD-NTSC (720 x 480). Make sure to save the slideshow as a "Slide Show Project" as well as

wmv file in the Elements Organizer.

c. Once you have the wmv file as its thumbnail saved in the Elements Organizer, click on it to select it. Then go to the Editor button at the bottom of the Elements Organizer workspace,

and specifically select Video Editor in the choices after you click on the tiny triangle to the right of "Editor". The whole wmv slideshow should appear on the Premiere Elements Timeline and display

in the Edit area monitor without any black borders.

d. In this scenario, there is no active Break Apart Slideshow Editor command for further edits of the slideshow.

e. Continue on to menus and Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and NTSC_Dolby DVD.

Please review and consider and then determine what is working for you and if you confirm the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                                      freethedata Level 1

If Phil has a widescreen TV he should still see sidebars, and will have to set to TV to "Wide", at the cost of distorting the special properties of the image.

Sent from my iPad

• 16. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

Back in post 2, Phil wrote

Our TV/DVD player is set for 4:3 standard TV, but it can be changed to 16:9.

If Phil has a 4:3 workflow (including photos all with aspect ratio 4:3 and project settings to match and a TV/DVD player already set to 4:3, why change the TV settings to 16:9?

ATR

• 17. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

With regard to your post 13

I am explaining how the solution is in settings for the DVD player and TV more than in settings in Elements.

With the 4:3 workflow with destination NTSC DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3 on TV Disc with player set already to 4:3, the TV Zoom is good to

be reminded of for other cases where it would be an asset in the viewing. Minor black edges that can appear in some of these workflows prior to export, although

seen at computer playback, often are not seen at TV DVD Player level of the disc product.

As you point out, TV player controls can often make an important contribution to the viewing preferences.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                                            freethedata Level 1

Many people use the 16:9 setting with 4:3 media on a widescreen TV because they paid for a widescreen TV, and feel they are not getting what they paid for if they see sidebars, so they watch 4:3 media in 16:9 mode at the expense of serious spatial distortion.

• 19. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                                              freethedata Level 1

People have to keep in mind that there is a difference between a TV’s “Zoom” and “Stretch” modes.  ith a complete 4:3 workflow, “Zoom” would fill out the side bars but cut off the tops and bottoms of the picture; “Stretch” or “Wide” would eliminate the sidebars, not cut off the tops and bottoms, but make circles into ovals and make everyone look fat.  My preference, and the result most faithful to a Director’s vision,  is to watch 4:3 media with sidebars on a wide screen TV.

• 20. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                                                philipk90920786 Level 1

Thank you for your continued support on my project.  I have not done anything further in terms of burning a disc.

I still have concerns about the following that probably need addressed prior to burning another disc.

"Before I burned my slideshow to disc I took the time to preview my project.

Two issues were apparent that don't show the same when developing it in the Organizer.

I had inserted videos with the intent of hearing the sound on the video.

When previewed the audio track that followed the video had filled in under the video so the rest of the audio track did not match the slideshow.

Also the edited slides were now so large on the screen in the Timeline in the preview that they didn't represent what was intended. This is probably due to the way I edited and saved them.  Basically I just wanted to trim a few seconds off the end."

Any suggestions on the above ?

Phil

• 21. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

Let us recap and see if we can spot some points where the workflow needs adjustments....

1. What were the pixel dimensions (width and height in pixels) of the photos that you started with, the ones that you imported into the Elements Organizer.

Were they

4288 x 3216 pixels

2119 x 1600 pixels

2420 x 1870 pixels

we will accept each of them as 4:3, and there were 325 stills (landscape oriented) in all.

We need to get copies of all 325 into a desktop folder named Originals.

We need to create an empty desktop folder named Resized.

Then open Photoshop Elements 12/12.1 Editor, go to File Menu/Process Multiple Files/ and set that dialog to look like the following

ProcessMultipleFiles.JPG

Hit OK, and shortly afterward you will have your 325 photos all sized to 1000 x 750 pixels in a folder on the computer desktop.

Check out the photos in the folder to confirm that is what you have. Make sure that there is no frame aspect ratio related distortion.

Then...

Open the Elements Organizer 12. Go to Import/From Files and Folders/Navigate to your Resized Folder on the Desktop and bring

in your 325 photos (1000 x 750). Select all.

Go immediately to Create/Slideshow. Slideshow preferences should look something like this...

SlideshowPreferences.JPG

Please let me know if you are OK with what you see in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor after you click

OK to the Slide Show Preferences.

We could have resized the photos using the Elements Organizer 12 File Menu/Export As New Files, but I do

not prefer that route for this. But, something for you to explore at another time.

Next review if you are OK setting the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 project preset manually to NTSC/DV Standard

before you have outputted the Elements Organizer 12 slideshow to Premiere Elements, using the Elements Organizer

Output choice of Edit with Premiere Elements Editor. Also, make sure that Premiere Elements Edit Menu/Preferences/General

has a check mark next to its preference "Default Scale to Frame Size" before doing any outputting of the Elements Organizer Slideshow

Editor slideshow to Premiere Elements Editor.

ATR

• 22. Re: Why does the slideshow burned to a DVD not fill the TV screen when played?
                                                    philipk90920786 Level 1

I've taken some time to review your suggestions.

I decided to try them in a shorter slide show of 88 slides that also did not fill the TV screen like the one I originally brought to your attention.

I followed your steps for resizing in Process Multiple Files.

I use both landscape and portrait photos when building my slideshow.

Portrait photos were distorted / landscape photos were fine.

I'm guessing this is where you told me to look for "frame aspect ratio related distortion".

How do you work through this ?

Thanks for your continued support.

Phil