17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 9:10 PM by A.T. Romano

CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash

StevenNG Level 1

I just purchased a CAD u37 condenser mic for use with PrE 13. I am using a MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite 10.10.2. Each time I try to add a narration, PrE 13 crashes. It just immediately shuts down. I tried the CAD u37 with iMovie, and it works perfectly, so I know the microphone is working well. I have configured the settings in Apple as follows: System Preferences>Sound>USB;  and in PrE 13 as follows: Preferences>Audio>USB device. Can anyone help with this issue? Thanks.

Steve

• 1. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Typically questions such as yours get answered with a comment about Adobe ReadMe's saying that Premiere Elements does not work with USB microphones. On some infrequent

occasions a user will post about finding a USB microphone that does work with Premiere Elements.

Well, there appears to be at least one recommendation for the use of CADu37 in Premiere Elements and further comments on that subject at least another forum

muvipix Community • View topic - Cad 37

Because of the dating on the link, they are not using Premiere Elements 13...not sure if that is making a difference.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user with a desktop microphone that plugs into a computer jack.

If Steve Grisetti (who is recommending CADu37 in the above link) sees your thread here, you should get the Premiere Elements 13 Mac answer that you seek first hand.

Best wishes.

ATR

Add On...In Premiere Elements 13 Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio, I do not see an opportunity to set USB device. Does Premiere Elements 13 Mac have

settings for Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware and ASIO settings?

• 2. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

I saw your follow up thread on your CADu7 microphone issues in Premiere Elements 13 Mac at

muvipix Community • View topic - CAD u37 mic not working

Although the problem is not yet resolved there after several discussions on the matter, I am glad that you have found support for Premiere Elements Mac troubleshooting

involving your USB microphone issue.

USB microphone compatibility with Premiere Elements in general is of concern addressed or not in the Adobe Premiere Elements ReadMe any version. Since computer environments and circumstances are different, it is good to keep track of those with USB microphones with and without problems with them in Premiere Elements 13/Windows or Mac and other.

So, we will be following your progress with interest.

Are all those participating in the current discussions using the same Mac operating system?

Best wishes

ATR

• 3. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
              fmesadieu

I also have a Mac Book Pro 2010 and I just purchased the Logitech USB Microphone. Every time I try to record  my narration Adobe Premiere Elements 13 crashes. I have tried various buffer sizes and it still crashes. This issue is rather annoying and frustrating. No one appears to have a solution to this problem. What microphone is comparable to this editing software? Does the USB Microphone not work with this software?

• 4. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                A.T. Romano Level 7

fmesdieu

Thanks for posting your Premiere Elements 13 Mac Narration Tool Logitech USB microphone issue.

Although the Readme for the older versions of Premiere Elements typically include a known issue of "USB microphones do not work", there are those who read the Premiere Elements 13 Readme, do not see this "known issue" listed, and seem to have concluded that USB microphones work in Premiere Elements 13, and cite several associates who are working successful with the USB microphone in Premiere Elements, presumed 13.

I am still using a desktop microphone that plugs into the computer jack (I use it successfully from versions 4 to 13.).

Please consider

1. If you have not already, update 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Update.

2. See if you can use a desktop microphone which plugs into the computer jack.

3. Think about trying to create your narration clips with your Logitech USB microphone in Audacity.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

and then importing the wav narration clips from there into the Premiere Elements project (Add Media/Files and Folders).

I do not believe StevenNG's Mac CADu37 USB microphone issue has been resolved at the other forum (discussion in link cited above).

I am not sure what the critical factor is that distinguishes between those who can and those who cannot use USB microphones in Premiere

Elements (any version) in spite of what the version's Help PDF says or does not say about the matter.

Please update us on your progress when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR.

• 5. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                  StevenNG Level 1

fmesadieu

I have had a long series of discussions with Steve, Bob and Chuck, on the Premeiere Elements 13 forum:

I think it would be worthwhile for your to review the posts and replies.

While I am not an expert in the area by any means, in fact I am quite a novice, I believe these three have a clear understanding of the issue.

To summarize, it is my understanding that at this time, a USB mic will not work with PRE 13 on a MAC,  although it may work with earlier versions of PRE.

A mic plugged into the computers mic jack should work.

The Audacity program (see ATRs link above) is a good work around until Adobe addresses the USB problem. I have downloaded Audacity, and it works well. Obviously it would be easier to use the Narration function in PRE 13, but until the USB issue is addressed, that does not seem to be an option.

Steve

• 6. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

StevenNG

Thanks for the follow up. I have not had a chance to review your overall USB microphone situation and the outcome. But I have it on my to do soon as possible list.

Just in case message......if you are ever going to apply the same default video transition to all the Timeline content, I think that you are OK with "Select All" to start. But

you may be overlooking that, after "Select All" and going to Timeline Menu/, there are two options there that you should be aware of

Apply Default Transition

and

Apply Default Transition Along CTI

I suspect that you are selecting "Apply Default Transition Along (CTI)" instead of "Apply Default Transition".

If you have not, please apply "Apply Default Transition" and that should work for you. It works for me in Premiere Elements Windows, and

it should be the same for Premiere Elements Mac. If not, I would be interested in knowing that.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                      StevenNG Level 1

A.T. Romano

When I go the timeline menu, "Apply Default Transition" is greyed out. The only choice available is "Apply Default Transition CTI"

Steve

• 8. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                        StevenNG Level 1

A.T. Romano,

OK. I tried this again. This time "Apply as Default Transition" is available, but it does not apply the selected default transition.

Here is the sequence I followed:

Select a clip

Command A (selects all clips)

Open Transitions

Select a transition, right click (set as default transition appears)

Drag default transition to clip

Transition Dialog box appears

Go toTimeline

Select Apply Default Transition

Click "done" in Transition Dialog box

Then, either one transition is applied, or nothing happens

Steve

• 9. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

StevenNG

Select a clip..................................................................................... ........OK

Command A (selects all clips)...................................................................OK

Open Transitions.............................................................................. .......Transitions Tab, right click transition that you want as default...set as default

Select a transition, right click (set as default transition appears)

Drag default transition to clip....................................................................No

Transition Dialog box appears

Go toTimeline

Select Apply Default Transition

Click "done" in Transition Dialog box

OK through Setting Default Transition.

Then Edit Menu/Select All

Then Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition

Transitions-a.jpg

With all your images selected with your Select All, right after you hit Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition, the

transitions will pop into place along the pairs of the Timeline content along the duration of the Timeline content.

There is no Transitions Adjustment dialog or other involved in this placement way.

Also, expand the Timeline content with the -+ slider above the Timeline so that you can see the transitions.

TransitionsJPG.JPG

I did not bother to Timeline render after the transitions were applied so the orange line above each.

If you have the time, please give it another look. This principle should be the same with your Premiere Elements 13 Mac

or my Premiere Elements 13 Windows.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                            StevenNG Level 1

ATR,

After selecting default transition, I go to Edit Menu, and "Select All" is greyed out.

Do I need to do something other than just right click on the desired transition and let "select as default transition" appear?

Steve

• 11. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

StevenNG

Thanks for the follow up. I think that we are not in sync yet.

Essentially steps

1. Keep Adobe default video and audio transitions or set your own. Then forget about the Transition Tab area. Do not go near the Transitions Tab after that in all this.

2. Select all your clips, all at one time.

3. Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition and the transitions are place between all the pairs of clips on the Timeline.

Details....

The default transitions that Adobe has

Video Transition Default = Cross Dissolve

Audio Transition Default = Constant Power

You either use that or set another that will come up each time for anything that is designed default transition.

Once you decide if you are going to go with an Adobe one or you set your own choice

Then forget about that area. All you have done was to set the default video and audio transitions for within a project

and from project to project. Now forget about that area.

You are not going to get an active Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition unless you have selected all the clips at one time.

All you do immediately after selecting all the clip is to go to Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition and click on Apply Default

Transition.  The job is done. You will see the default transitions placed between all the pairs of clips on the Timeline.

The Expert workspace Timeline may not be expanded enough for you to see a 1 sec transition. So expand the Timeline with the

-+ slider above the Timeline to get a better view of the transitions.

_+-slider.jpg

Once we are together on the above, if needed, I can go into the finer points of applying transitions.

ATR

• 12. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                                StevenNG Level 1

ATR,

Each time I tried this, Apply default transition was greyed out. So, I grabbed a few clips, and started over. It worked well! Thanks.

Two other questions:

1. Should I change my mind about the transitions, can I do a "mass" delete? I see it is simple to delete one, and change it individually.

2. If I get the orange lines above the transitions, do I have to render them? I clicked render, but nothing happened.

Thanks. Great Advice!

Steve

• 13. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the update. Glad the Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition command worked.

I have not found a way for mass deletion specific to video and audio transitions.

As for rendering the Timeline content for those transitions, that is a it depends decision. Lots of factors

go into whether or not a transition will act the way you had intended for a pair of clips....concepts such as handles and

trimmed and untrimmed clips as well as alignment and other go into the mix.

Timeline rendering is particularly indicated to get the best possible preview of what you have. It will not fix a transition problem

but it is your window of opportunity to catch a transition problem sooner than later.

If there is an orange line over the transition of transtions, it should respond to your commend to render. Often the process is so quick

that you do not realize it happened. If the orange line turns green after you hit render, the TImeline rendering has occurred.

Double check that you are looking for the orange line over the content. The following screenshot is for 12/12.1 but is applicable to the principles

in Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

Render.JPG

ATR

• 14. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                                    StevenNG Level 1

ATR,

I have orange lines only above the transitions, not the clips. When I click on render, nothing happens, and the lines remain orange.

Steve

• 15. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Consider....

1. I have stills on the Premiere Elements 13/13,1 Windows Timeline. All are Timeline rendered and display the green indicator line above the content.

Green.JPG

2. While those Timeline rendered stills are all selected,  I go to Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition and the transitions are automatically

popped into place between paired clips. The render indicator line above the transitions is orange; the render indicator

line above the clips are still green.

Green2.JPG

3, I then press the Render button above the Timeline. The result is a green line across the whole content,

stills and transitions.

Green3.JPG

ATR

• 16. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                                        josephinez57565717

Hello AT Romano..

thanks for your reply...to answer your questions.see in bold below.

Q. Have you updated Premiere Elements 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Update.

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running?

Are you using a USB headset - what brand/model?

A. I have not updated to 13.1... I am using Windows 8.1 operating system and using a USB headset from Logitech model H390.

Q.Are you confirming that you have gone to Premiere Elements 13.1 Editor Expert workspace

Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware ASIO

And, in the Audio Hardware Settings/Input, you see your headset listed there and, under Enable Device,

you have a check mark next to the name of your headset?

A. I am confirming all of the step except for updating to 13.1..in 13 however the steps are the same and it still not working...

I see that USB may also be a problem with premier...what would u recommend as a head set?

• 17. Re: CAD u37 external mic causes PrE 13 to Crash
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

josephinez

Thanks for the reply.

Since at least Premiere Elements 4 to the present Premiere Elements 13, I continue to use a desktop microphone which uses

the computer jack connection. I cannot find a list of USB microphones or headsets that are known to work with Premiere Elements.

Until there is more information on Premiere Elements Windows Mac and USB microphones or headsets, consider creating your

narration in Audacity and then importing the narration (wav) file created there into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements' Add Media/

Files and Folders. You USB microphone and headset should be usable in that situation.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

one example Learning Technology Center Help Blog | Recording audio narration using Audacity

At this point, I am not sure of the outcome filing one of those Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Forms

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I will keep watch over this Narration Tool USB Microphone Headset issue.

ATR