14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 9:53 AM by gjschwartzman1

Lost all edits before 2010

gjschwartzman1

Hello,

I have been a Lightroom user 2008 and am currently using version 5.7. I recently went to look at some images from 2008 and 2009 and they have all lost the edits I have done to them. However, from 2010 to present the edits are intact. I never lost or changed the catalog and I have been religious in doing catalog backups. I even opened some old backup catalogs from 2012 but they still don't contain the edits from 2008 and 2009. When I first try to open these old pictures, they show up with the edits for only a split second and then revert to the original raw (nef) file appearance. Has anyone else run into this problem before. I tried searching for an answer but have been unsuccessful. Thanks in advance.

Greg.

• 1. Re: Lost all edits before 2010
          dj_paige Level 9

I am not aware of any mechanism whereby Lightroom, when used properly, can cause a loss of edits.

When I first try to open these old pictures, they show up with the edits for only a split second and then revert to the original raw (nef) file appearance.

Sounds like perhaps these photos were re-imported and never edited?

If you look in the History panel of Lightroom's develop module for one of these photos, is there anything shown other than the import?

• 2. Re: Lost all edits before 2010
            gjschwartzman1 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. When I look at the history panel there is nothing there. When I first started using Lightroom I would save some of the edited pictures at jpgs. They look fine, but the raw files next to them have lost all their edits.  There was no event that I can remember where I lost the catalog or hadthe catalog corrupted. All my edits from about 2010 are intact, just none before that.

• 3. Re: Lost all edits before 2010
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The older photos should at least have one history step that says Import with the date the import happened.  Do you not see this?

• 4. Re: Lost all edits before 2010
                gjschwartzman1 Level 1

These old photos have absolutely nothing under history, yet they have retained the keywords that I added when importing. I know they have been edited because they show up as edited for a split second when I first open them, but quickly revert back to their unedited state. None of these edited pictures have the small edited icon in the corner anymore (in the bottom filmstrip), but do have the keyword icon. This is the first problem I have encountered with Lightroom in nearly 8 years of use. Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Lost all edits before 2010
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So do you have catalogue backups dating from before 2010, and which show the adjustments?

• 6. Re: Lost all edits before 2010

It seems likely that the adjustments-tracking tables in the database have been lost, or corrupted and the information removed during and catalog-optimization, and that the split-second view of things you see before it turns to the default is a very old preview being loaded and then the view based on the current settings (of which there are none) being recomputed and replacing it.

If you don’t have any backups from before 2010 then I don’t think there is anything that can be done. 

You could try creating a new catalog and importing everything from your existing catalog and see if things look any different, but I doubt it.

• 7. Re: Lost all edits before 2010
                      gjschwartzman1 Level 1

I will connect an old hard drive and get an old catalog and see if the edits are there. Thanks.

• 8. Re: Lost all edits before 2010
                        gjschwartzman1 Level 1

That is my fear. I will pull up an old catalog and see if the edits are intact. Thanks.

• 9. Re: Lost all edits before 2010
                          gjschwartzman1 Level 1

Tried to open some old catalogs from 2010 and the same thing happened. Only saw the edited image for a second or so, and then it reverted back to the unedited raw file. I even ran an old version of Lightroom 3 and tried to open an old catalog. Same thing happened. I think my edits before 2010 are gone. In looking to the future, any safeguards I could take to avoid this problem in the future? Thanks again for all your help.

Greg.

• 10. Re: Lost all edits before 2010

This may have been discussed, above, already...  Did you have LR set to write settings to XMP metadata automatically?  If so, the XMP would have a snapshot of the last settings you applied to the image, and you could re-read from XMP files and get that snapshot of settings back. 

If you do have XMP files for the old photos w/o history, the first thing to do is temporarily turn off auto-writing of XMP settings so it doesn't overwrite the old settings with nothing.  Auto-XMP writing is a catalog setting so you have to turn it off for each catalog you open.

The make a copy of your catalog and make a copy of the XMP files (or the images themselves, i.e. JPGs, if they aren't raws) and then as soon as you open the catalog and switch to a folder, initiate a Read Metadata from Files operating in Library with your images selected, and see if the last edit comes back.

• 11. Re: Lost all edits before 2010
                              gjschwartzman1 Level 1

Thanks for your advice. I never had LR set to write to XMP because I figured the catalog keeps track of all the edits made. Is this something I should do in the future?  I guess it would create a bunch of sidecar files.

• 12. Re: Lost all edits before 2010
                                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go back to earlier backups of your catalogues. As you understand, they contain all your work. If you can find catalogues with your adjustments, then we can work on getting those edits into your current catalogue.

Saving xmp sidecars doesn't include all your work, and indeed just creates a bunch of sidecar files.

• 13. Re: Lost all edits before 2010

Saving metadata to XMP sidecars includes whatever the develop settings were at the last time XMP was written to the files, which would be better than nothing, but doesn't include some things so is not a substitute for a good backup strategy.

• 14. Re: Lost all edits before 2010
                                    gjschwartzman1 Level 1

Everyone has been very helpful. It's nice to have knowledgeable people who are willing to help. I was able to find some older (prior to 2010) LR catalogs that I was able to use to get to my older edits. Not sure why my new catalog became corrupted. Thanks for all you good advice.

Greg.