3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 3:36 AM by dummergold

Prerendert mp4 replace with RAW DNG in After Effects

vjsaw

Hello,

I try to replace a mp4 clip with RAW DNG. The mp4 clip was made from the RAW DNG, but when I try to replace it, the length of the clip never fits.

Details:

1. RAW DNG recorded with 30fps

2. RAW DNG with Media Encoder to 30 fps mp4 rendered

3. mp4 import to AE

4. Replace mp4 with RAW DNG

Result:

mp4 clip length = 08:19:12

DNG RAW length = 06:39:04

The info window shows bith clips with 30fps .

Both clips shows: 0000000-0011973 (frame count from dng raw )

All Settings on 30fps:

Media Encoder: "Media / Indeterminate Media Timebase: 30fps"

After Effetcs: "Import / Sequence Footage 30 fps"

Premiere. " Media / Indeterminate Media Timebase: 30fps" (just in case  - maybe encoder reference pp..i dont think so..but..)

What can I do? Im doing something wrong, or is it a software error?

Even if I dont replace, just import the raw dng to AE it show the shorter lenght, but as well 30fps in the info window.

• 1. Re: Prerendert mp4 replace with RAW DNG in After Effects
          vjsaw Level 1

I did a testfile.

I exported a clip (30fps) to png sequence (60fps) and add it to the media encoder and when I press the button "match source" Media Encoder shows me (again) 23,976fps, but when I manually put it on 30fps it really export with 30fps. So I have a mp4 with 30fps

So I import that mp4 to AE its 03:29, when I import the pngs itself directly to AE its 03:29. So my setting seems to be correct. I choose the same settings importing RAW DNG.

I recognize that Media Encoder doesn`t recognize that the RAW DNG is a picture sequence, in the import window the "import sequenze square" is grey out, but it imports it as a the picture sequence, but not with the correct fps.

Its confusing, because it shows in the the clip info, after rendering the correct fps (30fps), but its not 30fps , its more like 23,976 frames. So it really looks that its a adobe software error.

Is it?

• 2. Re: Prerendert mp4 replace with RAW DNG in After Effects
            vjsaw Level 1

Sorry guys, I found it in an old cs5 Media Encoder Thread:

After Import it to AME I have to right click on the file name and "interpretate footge" and here I can set it to 30fps.

Thanks myself for using the search function

• 3. Re: Prerendert mp4 replace with RAW DNG in After Effects
              dummergold Level 4

Wow! I thought that was a bug - not being able to import RAW DNG into After Effects, or maybe it was Cinema dng, or specifically maybe it is just Blackmagic cinema dng sequence.

So, good for you. Maybe your approach is a work around for the above mentioned bug.