10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 3:56 AM by Loic.Aigon

To Forum Admin : Is it possible to pinpoint on top some behavior rules ?

Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

Hi all,

I am starting being annoyed by how rude some people can be while posting here. One may think I am a bit rigid but you know, it's like I have been raised.

Not that it would prevent rude posts but could we state on top of this forum some behavior rules like :

• Before posting you will look if the topic doesn't already exist in the forum (In other words, use the damn search field).
      • Before posting you will look in the Internet if some page is not already dealing with the topic.
      • While posting you will at the very least :
        1. Say Hello
        2. Introduce the issue in clear english.
        3. If one cannot use good english, he may try to say why (sorry for my english…)
        4. Expose the expectations and the current issues (I would like this but got that…)
        5. Thanks people in advance for the help once can receive
        6. Sign eventually
      • Be aware that some post might not have solutions so nobody may propose a solution
      • If no solutions provided, it's useless to shake the tree even being agressive (hey why don't you answer me…)
      • You won't use CAPITALS
      • If one provides a helpful or correct solution, you will score people regardingly
      • If one provided a solution, you may edit your initial post to indicates "SOLVED" in the post header
      • If you find a solution elsewhere, you will be nice to link towards the page or copy/paste the solution with a reference to the page

That's not an exhaustive list and I hope some other folks will add their thoughts. Sorry again if I am a bit pushy onto this but I am a bit pissed of by some post formulations. I just want to remind people looking for help that this place is free and that the best way to get answer is to beahve a s a gentle(wo)man;)

FWIW,

Loïc

http://www.ozalto.com

• 1. Re: To Forum Admin : Is it possible to pinpoint on top some behavior rules ?
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Loïc,

thank you for this post!

One addition (not a substitute) to "3. If one cannot use good english". I think, everyone here could state a question or a problem in his/her local language as well. There are some translation mechanisms built into this forum for people answering. The Translate link next to the Reply link.

Also: Telling the exact version numbers for installed OS and InDesign really does help everyone here.

Uwe

PS: Don't lose your sense of humor or the will for answering here…

• 2. Re: To Forum Admin : Is it possible to pinpoint on top some behavior rules ?

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for your addon. I know #3 is touchy but I just want to differentiate those who cannot write well in english because they are just not used to than the one who doesn't even make an effort

And no, I am certainly not going away. This forum is a gold mine. I am just restating some rules as I am astonished by how many people come here without showing much respect to the people they expect help from

Loic

• 3. Re: To Forum Admin : Is it possible to pinpoint on top some behavior rules ?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Loic, great post! It sums up some of -- well, a lot -- actually, just about all -- my personal pet peeves about this particular forum as well.

A few minor points, though. Feel free to discuss!

While posting you will at the very least :

1. Say Hello
                2. Introduce the issue in clear english.
                3. If one cannot use good english, he may try to say why (sorry for my english…)
                4. Expose the expectations and the current issues (I would like this but got that…)
                5. Thanks people in advance for the help once can receive
                6. Sign eventually

("English" should have a capital ) Personally, I disagree with your sub-points #1, #5, and #6. "Hello" is implicit. You are not addressing some stranger on the street, someone already is reading the post. No introduction is needed. The same for "thanks in advance" (although the exact wording leads to much merriment on my side -- can't think of specific examples right now but I have seen a few beauties). Also, a Sign Off is unnecessary. The name of the poster is at the top of the post.

While some may find it rude to omit "An Apology before taking up your valuable time", "Hoping to find you well", and "Sincerly yours, your Obedient Servant etc. etc.", I feel a post should be clear and to the point:

1. The title should be a short description of the problem or request. Titles of these kind are useless (with apologies to the original authors for paraphrasing, as they may not have been aware of this at the time): "HELP ASAP REQD.", "Please correct my script", "not working", "can some1 help me plzz".

2. Avoid Internet l33tsp33k. No "plz" or "any1" or "codehz". We're all grown-ups here. (Most of us.)

3. Do not repeat the exact title in your question body text. We already know what the question is. Also, do not say "See the title." There must be more to be said about your question.

4. Describe the problem.

5. Never ever ever say "I get an error" without saying what error and where.

6. Describe what you tried to solve it. Just dumping "your" problem in "our" lap will lead to very little answers.

7. Describe what you hope to hear from us. Many posts in here are of the kind "Is there a script that ..." and almost always the answer is "Probably not". Of course, what the poster means is "can anyone write a script for me that ..."

On that last topic: this forum is read by common users that offer free help. That does not, by definition, means it's for all requests to Write Any Script, No Limits, Immediately, Unlimited Adjustments and Tinkering, Fully Aware & Compliant With Any Workflow. If you (hypothetical questioner) feel you need such a script, hire a freelancer. You can even put such a request in this forum.

The Illustrator Scripting Forum has a great, large, yellow, and un-ignorable banner right at the top of their own forum: Illustrator Scripting and I'd love to see such a thing over here as well.

• 4. Re: To Forum Admin : Is it possible to pinpoint on top some behavior rules ?

Hi Theunis,

Great addition. Thanks a lot. I guess there will be some different points of view on some items but hey it's democracy so what matters most is that the more people rally to the policy.I like the Illustrator Forum Banner. We definitively need the same here.

Best,

Loïc

• 5. Re: To Forum Admin : Is it possible to pinpoint on top some behavior rules ?
                  Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

I would add one point somewhere inbetween "Hello" and "Goodbye":

• feel free to ask for help if you are going to extend your scripting abilities - don't ask for ready solutions regardless of how fast is your time running out or how low is your salary in current company.

Jarek

• 6. Re: To Forum Admin : Is it possible to pinpoint on top some behavior rules ?

Yeah definitively.

Also don't post 1km long code but focus on the specific part of code that is problematic. But has the whole code may also be needed for understanding, prefer adding a link to the whole code. (Maybe ?)

Loic

• 7. Re: To Forum Admin : Is it possible to pinpoint on top some behavior rules ?
                      TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Good points.

Anyway, those who need this advice most won't read it.

Meanwhile, I need a script for InDesign catalogue. URGNT! PLZ. Must work CS2-CC2014.2. Also server version. Urgent. PLZ. Will give 10 points. Need web interface.

Which reminds me: (7) If you're asking a new question, start a new thread!

• 8. Re: To Forum Admin : Is it possible to pinpoint on top some behavior rules ?

Hi Ariel,

Anyway, those who need this advice most won't read it.

I am afraid your are right but at least we can decide not to help in any way those who won't comply to the policy or at least demonstrate a certain will to respect it.

Loic

• 9. Re: To Forum Admin : Is it possible to pinpoint on top some behavior rules ?
                          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Loic,

I am afraid your are right but at least we can decide not to help in any way those who won't comply to the policy or at least demonstrate a certain will to respect it.

Right, that's what I was thinking.

By the way, who IS forum admin these days?

• 10. Re: To Forum Admin : Is it possible to pinpoint on top some behavior rules ?
                            By the way, who IS forum admin these days?

He he, the 1M$ question