7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 8:20 AM by noahthetruest

Help me Upgrade 2 yr Old System (SSD/RAM/GPU)

noahthetruest

SPECS:

• Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155
      • ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 
      • SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 2.5" 128GB SATA III SSD
      • Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
      • G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
      • SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready                                                                       
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5

I would like to upgrade my SSD, GPU, and RAM but sadly don't have the funds to do them all at once. Currently, my OS and Adobe apps are on the SSD while all project files and media are on the HDD. Also, my scratch disk/cache files are also on the same HDD.

Would I see the most performance improvement by getting another SSD solely for scratch disk/cache files?

Or would a RAM upgrade (32GB) be more beneficial?

What about upgrading my GPU to a GeForce GTX 750 ti? Would I see a market improvement in rendering, or would I be better suited to get a GTX 970?

Again, I plan on eventually upgrading all components but I just want to know the best order to make these purchases.

I currently am editing converted 4k (Samsung NX1) to ProRes 422 and doing mostly color correction but would like to eventually dabble in 3D rendering/compositing via AE and Cinema 4D.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Help me Upgrade 2 yr Old System (SSD/RAM/GPU)
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

are you doing color correction in premiere, speedgrade or other?  speedgrade and others will use the gpu more heavily...  if you are doing 4k, the gtx 970 is a good idea.  depending how much footage you have, replacing the the 1tb hdd with an ssd sounds better than a new ssd for scratch/cache only. you could use the 1tb for backups...

if you are running windows, you can use the resource monitor and gpu-z to help determine which to upgrade first.   GPU-Z Downloads

• 2. Re: Help me Upgrade 2 yr Old System (SSD/RAM/GPU)
            noahthetruest Level 1

I try and do as much as possible in PP and use Speedgrade only sparingly.

I am not currently editing 4k but may in the future as technology catches up.

I don't have too much footage ATM and try to clean up unused files as often as possible. I definitely want to keep and use HDDs for media/project files and backup purposes, while only using SSDs for scratch/cache. Are you saying that I will see more of a boost in performance if I use an SSD for both project AND scratch/cache files?

• 3. Re: Help me Upgrade 2 yr Old System (SSD/RAM/GPU)
              RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if your footage is very high bitrate, the 1tb hdd may not be able to read it fast enough. this may not be the case for you, the resource monitor can help see hdd speeds and latency.  if you have some footage you can test on your 128gb ssd, you can also test that vs the 1tb hdd.

• 4. Re: Help me Upgrade 2 yr Old System (SSD/RAM/GPU)
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How much data do you have on the disk drive?  If it is over 50-60% full that is bad

I would suggest a good SSD for your current project/media and I leave the media cache on my OS/Application SSD.  When the project comes to the end move the project and media to on or offline disk drives.  Once the OS and Premiere are loaded there is not much access to that good Samsung 840 Pro so I do not see why to move the media cache to another location.  Just keep the media cache cleaned up.

If you get into AE you most likely will need the RAM updated.

You might want to check your power consumption and make sure you do not overload it as you are doing these upgrades

If you get to 4K you will definitely need a new GPU as you only have a measly 1GB of Video RAM

• 5. Re: Help me Upgrade 2 yr Old System (SSD/RAM/GPU)
                  noahthetruest Level 1

My HDD is about 50% full but my SSD is is close to 80% full (only 128GB ).

I would like to purchase an aditional 256GB SSD. Would it be okay to transfer both the Adobe applications AND project files to the new 256GB SSD in order to free up space on the 128GB Samsung (OS/C: drive)? Would this be overkill for the new SSD?

Thanks for the suggestion regarding power consumption. I'll look into it this week.

• 6. Re: Help me Upgrade 2 yr Old System (SSD/RAM/GPU)
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Clean that drive up.  Here is my C: one year old drive that I use daily for editing and most other things

This laptop PC I have upgraded with the 128 GB SSD C:/ drive and use a 256 GB SSD drive for the projects plus I have a few very high read speed USB 3 Flash Drives to use to bring in other projects and media.

• 7. Re: Help me Upgrade 2 yr Old System (SSD/RAM/GPU)
                      noahthetruest Level 1

Will do. Thanks for the suggestions.