10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2016 11:49 PM by ssprengel

Adobe dng Converter 8.7.1 problem

brianb76293939

When I try to run Adobe DNG converter 8.7.1 the panel that comes up is shortened at the bottom so that I cannot initiate the conversion. How can I overcome this problem.

• 1. Re: Adobe dng Converter 8.7.1 problem
          Level 5

Are you perhaps on a notebook with a smallish monitor that does not meet the minimum requirements?

Due to the current unavailability of clairvoyants and mind-readers in the forum, we respectfully request you supply sensible, complete details.

BOILERPLATE TEXT:

Note that this is boilerplate text.

If you give complete and detailed information about your setup and the issue at hand,

such as your platform (Mac or Win),

exact versions of your OS, of Photoshop (not just "CS6", but something like CS6v.13.0.6) and of Bridge,

your settings in Photoshop > Preference > Performance

the type of file you were working on,

machine specs, such as total installed RAM, scratch file HDs, total available HD space, video card specs, including total VRAM installed,

what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far,

what error message(s) you receive,

if having issues opening raw files also the exact camera make and model that generated them,

if you're having printing issues, indicate the exact make and model of your printer, paper size, image dimensions in pixels (so many pixels wide by so many pixels high). if going through a RIP, specify that too.

A screen shot of your settings or of the image could be very helpful too,

etc.,

someone may be able to help you (not necessarily this poster, who is not a Windows user).

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Adobe dng Converter 8.7.1 problem
            brianb76293939 Level 1

Thank you for the reply:

My system is:

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:5, Stepping:5 with MMX,

SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2

Physical processor count: 2

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 3210 MHz

My monitor is a 23inch  16x9

I have Adobe PSE 10 but the Converter is set as a Windows default

program for converting Panasonic FZ 200 Rw2 to Dng formats and works

independently of PSE.

The problem I have with the Convereter is that it shows up a samll size

panel with the vital Convert (and Exit) commands hidden.

I have access to a similar spec. of laptop with the Converter as a

default program and it does not have the same problem. I have no printer

problems.

Is this sufficient information?

• 3. Re: Adobe dng Converter 8.7.1 problem
              brianb76293939 Level 1

My computer is a desktop PC and it's spec. is:

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:5, Stepping:5 with MMX,

SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2

Physical processor count: 2

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 3210 MHz

My screen is a 23inch 16x9.

The Converter is set up as a default program to run independently of my

Photoshop Elements 10.

When I run Converter the panel for setting up the folder source etc is

too small and does not show the Convert and Exit commands at the bottom.

I have no printer problems. I have been using PCs for 30 years.

I have access to a similar specification of laptop and it successfully

runs Converter with same Rw2 photos

Do you have enough information here?

• 4. Re: Adobe dng Converter 8.7.1 problem
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What vertical pixel dimension is your screen?

Are you using any custom display properties for font-size or UI-size that makes everything scaled larger than normal?

• 5. Re: Adobe dng Converter 8.7.1 problem
                  brianb76293939 Level 1

The screen dimension is 1920x1080, it's maximum.

If I change the text size through the Windows Control Panel from larger

(150%) to smaller (100%) the full script in the Converter's panel is

displayed but the Converter does not recognise my Rw2 files!

The panel same physical size stays of 6 1/2 inches height x 6 inches

through changes in text size.

I do not need to change the text size for any other program and I thinks

too shows a weaknesss in the Converter's display function.

• 6. Re: Adobe dng Converter 8.7.1 problem
                    Level 5

The DNG Converter does NOT work on files, only on FOLDERS (directories).  Do not direct it to your files, but to the folder(s) containing said files.

"RW2" files means nothing, you need to specify the exact make and model of the camera that generated them.  Then you can check whether that camera is supported or not:

Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The DNG Converter is free.  It requires a minimum of vertical pixels to display.  If you are messing with 150% text sizes, don't expect anyone to feel sorry for you.

Incidentally, you should be posting in the DNG forum anyway, not the Camera Raw forum.  You'll find the DNG forum here: Digital Negative (DNG)

Just a clarification in general:

BOILERPLATE TEXT extracted from the FAQ:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0

Do not be abusive or aggressive in your tone.

An aggressive, demanding, accusatory or abusive sounding post will often evoke an aggressive or abusive and unhelpful reply.

Remember, you are not addressing Adobe here in the user forums.  You are requesting help from volunteers users just like you who give their time free of charge. No one has any obligation to answer your questions.

• 7. Re: Adobe dng Converter 8.7.1 problem
                      Ivo F

I am having the same problem

Windows 10 and a 4K Dell screen 3840 x 2160

text size @ 200%

It did work on the same system a few days ago (and as far as I am ware the same settings too)

• 8. Re: Adobe dng Converter 8.7.1 problem

Try the newest DNG Converter 9.3 and see if it works better:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

It’s possible the DNG Converter isn’t handling the text zoom properly or is already compensating so the 200% makes it too tall.

It would be helpful to see a screenshot.

• 9. Re: Adobe dng Converter 8.7.1 problem
                          Ivo F Level 1

Thanks for the swift reply.

I already tried 9.3 and even reverted back to 9.2 to see whether that makes a difference.

Scaling to 100% doesn't make any difference.DNGconvertrerproblems.jpg

• 10. Re: Adobe dng Converter 8.7.1 problem

Under my Windows 10 the DNG Converter only gets truncated when it would be off the screen, which is if I set my screen scaling to 175% on my 1680x1050 display, but once I set the display back to 100% or even 150% and restart it, the full interface fits to the DNG Converter window like it should.

Is there some special compatibility mode set on the DNGC shortcut or what happens if you try that, does the scaling start to work ok?

Do you have multiple desktops?

Are your video drivers up-to-date and/or did you recently update them?