17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 10:13 AM by A.T. Romano

Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11

amosher

Pre11 screenshot.JPG

Premier Elements 11

Desktop, Win7, Intel i7, 16 gig

NVida GTX460 - this maybe the reason I went to Pre11 from Pre10 last year.

New project with 7 video clips (Canon 1920x1080 .mts) and several dozen stills (.jpg), approx 1.3 hours.

After downloading a menu theme (20-40 megs), screen shows a blank pane for Adjustments (see attached).   Tried downloading several different theme files, no good.

Created several mini projects, same failure after downloading a menu theme.

Archiving the project (trimmed) and loading to a notebook with Pre11 then was successful in downloading "Stages" menu theme. Made edits with no issues.   Brought revised project back to desktop and getting a "Project not compatible". 

Loading a existing project created a year ago in Pre11 results in a "Project not compatible"

Suspect the "menu theme" function in Pre11 has gotten hammered, no big issues with the rest of Pre11.   Question is what is the best course of action?

My first goal is to preserve the projects I already have. (no Project Archiver versions - my bad)

Can I de-install Pre11 and re-install w/o losing the many existing video projects going back several years?

Is it time to move to version 13?   (not looking forward to the learning curve)

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

amoster

Not quite yet for 13.

Do you have the Movie Menu files saved to the computer hard drive?

1. If you have not already, please go to

Local Disk C

Project Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

Movie Genre

Western

in the Western Folder can you find a file named

western_pal_s_mm.psd

What is found in the Western Folder?

2. If you have not already, please go to

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 11

DVD Templates

Common

Slideshows

Pan and Zoom

in the Pan and Zoom Folder can you find a file named

pan and zoom_pal_s_mm.psd

What is found in the Pan and Zoom Folder?

Are you running the program as Administrator? Have you right clicked the Premiere Elements 11 desktop icon, selected and applied Run As Administrator?

When you do these Movie Menu downloads, are you doing them with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Some generalization for now...

1. When you Copy archive a project which contains disc menus, the disc menus are represented in the Copied Folder embedded in the copy of the project file (project.prel).

And, it is necessary to have a working version of that menu already in the program in a second computer.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Archiving Projects With Disc Menus

2. You cannot open one project file into another.

Let us determine what you have on your computer hard drive for Movie Menus before we suggest a

1. Uninstall the Control Panel way

2. Free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

3. Reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
            amosher Level 1

Hi ATR,

Yes, saved to C: drive

1.   Western only contained 27 PNGs , Download.txt and metadata.xml

Stage under Entertainment is a Theme I tried to use, it contained 28 PNGs, Downoad.txt Metadata.xml and 4 PSDs (2/13/15) including the one you asked about.

2.  I found the Pan and Zoom file, dated 8/31/12.  with 34 other files mostly PNGs.

3. Tried running as Admin, did a download of Western, same result.   Yes to AntiVirus and Firewall(s) - always, grin.

4. So not having a copy of the Stage menu files on the first PC (desktop) caused the "not compatible" error when I tried to take the archive (now with a Stage menu) from the Laptop back to the desktop.

Side note:  I tried the laptop just to prove that the original project file was not buggy.  It proved that the issue was specific to the desktop.

5.   c:\programdata\...\DVD Templates contains 2,200 files (672 meg).   Am a user of CCleaner and Revo Uninstall.

As much I would hate to rebuild my current project, it is any risk to the existing projects, photos and video clips scatttered across five drives that concern me. 

Thanks again.

Al

• 3. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

Thanks for the reply.

You bring up the possibility of rebuilding the current project. Are you telling me that if you open a new project, you can progress your workflow to

Tools Menu/Movie Menu/ and download and install Movie Menus whereas you cannot do that in the current project? That is an important answer.

ATR

• 4. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                amosher Level 1

Sorry I was unclear.

A brand new project from scratch on the desktop has the same problem as the existing project cannot install a menu.   A similar menu-ed project created a year ago with the same Pre11 on the desktop now fails to load "Not compatible".   Taking the existing project to the laptop worked just fine when a menu was installed.    Based on "About Premiere" both machines have the same version of software.

• 5. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

amosher

Just thinking about this some more. Earlier I asked you to check the hard drive locations for the Movie Menu themes in Premiere Elements 11.

There is one theme (Slideshow/Pan and Zoom) that comes complete with assets and is not part of "Content Download" as is the case with those themes in the Online Folder. You reply was

I found the Pan and Zoom file, dated 8/31/12.  with 34 other files mostly PNGs

Did any did you saw look anything like this

amosher wrote:

Sorry I was unclear.

A brand new project from scratch on the desktop has the same problem as the existing project cannot install a menu.   A similar menu-ed project created a year ago with the same Pre11 on the desktop now fails to load "Not compatible".   Taking the existing project to the laptop worked just fine when a menu was installed.    Based on "About Premiere" both machines have the same version of software.

11DVDmenu.JPG

There are 35 files there, including 7 .psd files. How many of the .psd files do you have in that Pan and Zoom Folder?

If there is a mess up there, then I would point to the Premiere Elements 11 installation as our target.

If that the Pan and Zoom Folder has all its assets, then I would target the "Content Download" in that particular environment.

What antivirus program do you have? Have you been just disabling it up to this time? I am wondering if it is time to uninstall

it temporarily to see what impact that has on the themes issue. Is your firewall controlled by the antivirus program?

Can you see any marked differences in the computer that works with 11 and themes versus the computer that is not.

Is there any differences in the security that each computer has? Are the two computers on the same home network?

ATR

• 7. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

amosher

Thanks for the reply, but the message did not appear in the reply.

When your schedule permits, please try again to send the message.

Looking forward to learning of your progress with regard to our latest communications.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                      amosher Level 1

Hi ATR,

Appears I have the same group of files with 7 PSDs.    Does not seem like I have any trouble downloading Theme files,  each one I pick results in 20-40 meg of files downloaded

Desktop using AVG antivirus and ZoneAlarm firewall, these are always running.   Laptop is ZA for firewall and anti virus.  Both running SuperAntiSpyware, Malware Bytes.

Both PCs are Win7, iCore7.  Laptop is a Dell w/ 8 gig, 1 TB & 125gig SSD.  Desktop is an ASUS P7 motherboard 16 gig, 4 internal HDD = 10TB and 3 external WD USB drives = 12 TB for lots of backups.   Desktop is hard wired to the router, the laptop comes in wirelessly to whatever router is available (3 distinct Internet APs in the house - long story)

No obvious difference other than the desktop is carrying a lot more software overhead.

The fact that the Desktop successfully created a video project a year ago and now will not using the same Theme makes me think a file/registry entry got hammered.

If you need a more detailed listing of the file structure I believe I can create a text file (now, how does that  Pipe command work - grin).

Have to step way for a couple hours.

Al

Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 1

• 9. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

Thanks for the reply.

With each of these computers, did you install the program to the default location on the Local Disk C?

In the case of the desktop, if you installed to the SSD, is the SSD the C drive?

Also, please remind me if you have gone through the following

1. Uninstall the Control Panel way

2. Free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

3. Reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                          amosher Level 1

Yes, both on C:, some scratch space on other drives (screenshot below).   Laptop blends the HDD and SSD into one contiguous space automatically, moving popular files to the SSD.

Desktop ---

c:\program files\adobe premiere elements 11\

Found duplicated files in these two directories, e.g.  stage_pal_s_mm.psd with identical size and date stamps.

c:\programdata\adobe premiere elements\11.0\online\dvd templates\all_lang\....

c:\users\AL\documents\adobe\premiere elements\11.0\online\dvd templates\all_lang\....

I am very familiar with ControlPanel/Revo Uninstaller and CCleaner, but we have not done that yet.  I am also familiar with the pain of breaking links in Elements, so will start a full backup if the next step is to re-install Premiere.

Al

• 11. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                            amosher Level 1

Hi ATR,

Had not heard from you, am eager for you guidance.

Al

• 12. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

Just some questions about your details in post 10...not just sure if they will advance the troubleshooting, but just in case...

1. If you cleaned out the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Field Folders, how much free hard drive space would you free up?

2. What is this L drive to where the Media Cache (conformed audio) is directed. Free space 21.4 GB seems very low for such an active place.

3. Your desktop system seems to be on the lower side for free hard drive space. What is your Internet speed rating for Down/Up?

4. Please remind me what the free hard drive space looks like at location for Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder and Media Cache Files Folder

on your computer which does not have this movie menu issue?

What happens if you switch out Online Folders - Desktop Online out, copy of other computer's Online Folder into Desktop where its own Online Folder had been previously located?

Depending on any breakthroughs from any of the above, I think that we are ready for the

1, uninstall

2. ccleaner run through (regular and registry parts)

3. reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled....did I ask you, do you have any other security software on your desktop that might be causing this issue?

I am wondering if there is any merit for uninstalling the antivirus instead of just disabling it through Real Time Protection?

Currently, what about other Content Downloads, such as graphics, Instant Movies, etc. all the same problem as movie menus?

I have got to see if I can find the thread that I am trying to recall. It had the same scenario that you are describing. I am almost positive that it ended with Run As

Administration being the final key that unlocked the issue. But, as I always write, problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes.

We will continue to watch for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                                amosher Level 1

1. If you cleaned out the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Field Folders, how much free hard drive space would you free up?

4 gig.   The 11.0 directory on C contains 9.5 gig, including two Trimmed directories (2.5 gig each)

2. What is this L drive to where the Media Cache (conformed audio) is directed. Free space 21.4 GB seems very low for such an active place.

Just a 75 gig partition used for temp files and things like Pagefile.sys, have deleted some items now have 63 gig free.

3. Your desktop system seems to be on the lower side for free hard drive space.

Here is an overall picture:

What is your Internet speed rating for Down/Up?

Down 6 megabit (= 750 megabytes)  Up  650 kilobit

4. Please remind me what the free hard drive space looks like at location for Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder and Media Cache Files Folder on your computer which does not have this movie menu issue?

On the laptop all Scratch Disks are pointed to C:, 57 gig empty.

What happens if you switch out Online Folders - Desktop Online out, copy of other computer's Online Folder into Desktop where its own Online Folder had been previously located?

Just did that, no change.   When I try to apply the "Stage" theme from Entertainment to a small test project, it instantly goes to the following screen with just gray in the Adjustments panes. Hitting Reset to no avail.

The "Stage' directory has the same number of files and sizes on both the Laptop and Desktop.

Currently, what about other Content Downloads, such as graphics, Instant Movies, etc. all the same problem as movie menus?

Not entirely sure what you are asking.   Just did my first "Instant Movie" downloaded 260 meg of Crystal Glass and it appeared to build correctly.

Overall,  do not see any indication that I have a failure to download files.   Still feels like Pre11 got damaged somewhere - so I am ready to do an de-install/install if I am not risking the .PREL files.

Al

• 14. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

I would agree that we are ready for uninstall/ccleaner/reinstall. Your project files (.prel) should survive the process. Just do not move, delete, rename any files/folders that are in the projects. Save any user customized presets and such if you have them. Project archive any thing that you are uncertain of.

If this were a Content Download issue, I would expect that other than disc menus would be affected, such as Instant Movie. And, further gifting the Desktop the Online Folder from the other working system on another computer did not help.

If you were not planning to do so, I would go with program install to default location on Local Disk C. Please look into your drive situation and partitioning beforehand. I am not sure of your situation in that regard and possible complications. If the uninstall/reinstall solves the problem, then we need not dig deeper.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...I think that I would use initially the disc menu theme Slideshow/Pan and Zoom as the index of what is working and not. Then I would confirm all is well in the Online Folder.

• 15. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                                    amosher Level 1

Thanks, will start the re-install shortly, have a appointment. 

kind regards

Al

• 16. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                                      amosher Level 1

I think we have success,  after reinstall, tested on a quick 10 min two clip video and the menus worked fine. 

Tried the orig project (20 clips, 50 jpgs, over an hour long) again menus looked good, audio got chopped up in a couple places, but will re-render to see if that helps.

Now doing a lot of medium touch up and editing the scene tags, keeping my finger crossed.

Thank you so much for all the hand holding and patience.

Al

• 17. Re: Download Menu Themes fail - Pre 11
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

I am applauding your success. Great job.

I am not sure why the original installation got messed up on Movie Menus only. The drive setup was a major suspect on my side, but....

I appreciated you staying with the troubleshooting.

Best wishes

ATR