3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 4:39 PM by A.T. Romano

Can't import .avi files?

danielw92191124

I'm trying to record my screen using a program called Debut by NCH Software, but this program only saves the video as .avi.  Then when I try to import it into Premiere, I get a dialogue box saying "Add media failure" and "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."  This is confusing to me, because .avi is listed as one of the supported video formats.  So what can I do to use this type of file?

Also, I'm a little disappointed in this customer support system... just saying.

• 1. Re: Can't import .avi files?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

danielw

AVI is just a file extension for a file. It is the format that wraps the video and audio components of the file. And, that file could contain a variety of different

compressions. So, not all AVI are created equal. And, it not uncommon for screen capture programs to offer formats that are not compatible with Premiere Elements.

One example...AVCHD is a supported video compression and AVI is a supported container/wrapper format. But, when the are in the same file, AVCHD.avi is not compatible

with Premiere Elements.

If the output from your screen capture program is not compatible with Premiere Elements and it is the only output offered then

a. you use another screen capture program if you want to use Premiere Elements as your video editor of the file

or

b. you convert the capture program's output into another format that is compatible with Premiere Elements

or

c. you consider a video editor other than Premiere Elements..

I am recalling a prior thread a while back about Debut and its .avi file and Premiere Elements. I will see if I can find it and

see what the outcome of that issue was.

ATR

Reminder...this is not Adobe, rather use to user. And, I am a user who visits this Adobe Premiere Elements Forum to share Premiere Elements information....no

affiliation with Adobe.

• 2. Re: Can't import .avi files?
            danielw92191124 Level 1

Well I found a video converter program that seems to have fixed the issue.  Thanks for replying!

• 3. Re: Can't import .avi files?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

danielw

Thanks for the reply with the great news that you have developed a workflow that works for you with your source .avi files. Great job.

I still have not found the thread that I thought that I remembered. If I recall correctly, the issue went screen capture files that did not

import completely into a previous version of Premiere Elements.

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR