9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2015 7:38 AM by Bill Gehrke

What Systems are the Pros Using for Premier, After Effects, and SpeedGrade?

GOD-sSs-END

I bought the full Creative Cloud in hopes of making a career for myself in audio/visual editing. The problem is, my system doesn't seem to be able to handle the software, particularly when changing back and forth between the three programs mentioned above. Beyond that, my first project failed to export properly. Moreover, all throughout its development the system lagged badly. And this is after having followed all the preferences recommendations available in the Adobe's tutorials and elsewhere on the Web.

Here's my system:

SYX-P67A-C43: Intel Core i7 2600 (an 8-core unit) at 3.4GHz, with 8 Gigs of RAM (soon to be 16) with a GTX 550 NVidia Card, 1Gig of RAM.

As you can see, this is far in excess of what Adobe claims to be the minimum system requirements. It's obviously NOT.

What systems are the Pros using (like the guys in the tutorials) for Premier, After Effects, and SpeedGrade? Give me the exact machines with all the specs so I can price one up.

• 1. Re: What Systems are the Pros Using for Premier, After Effects, and SpeedGrade?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Register at ppbm7.com and you can see approaching 200 results of running our Premiere Pro BenchMark.

• 2. Re: What Systems are the Pros Using for Premier, After Effects, and SpeedGrade?
            JEShort01 Level 4

Adobe's minimum specs are a joke unless you are using SD (standard definition) video!

I'm not a pro, but have a strong enthusiast system: Intel 8-core (yours is 4 core plus 4 Hyperthreads; I see 16 cores in task manager with 8 core + 8 hyperthreads), 64GB of RAM (After Effects loves RAM and some pros use 128GB), GTX Titan GPU (would buy GTX 970 or 980 if was building a system today), 1 boot SSD and an Areca RAID data array for media, projects, etc.

Premiere Pro was used to edit Gone Girl and the "pro" system used for that probably ran about $20,000 - dual Xeon, 128GB RAM, fast RAID array, and more. In that case they were cutting 6k media - a very serious challenge!

You really need to post what media you will be using. The requirements for HD, consumer 4k, and RED 4k are dramatically different.

I agree with Bill too, check out PPBM7.com. You should benchmark your current system too to see how SLOW it is as compared with the faster systems tested here.

Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: What Systems are the Pros Using for Premier, After Effects, and SpeedGrade?
              JFPhoton Level 3

...although a little " old" now.....the fundamentals of your machine are still OK to get started IF you : 1. INCREASE your system memory to the full 32 GB....should make a BIG difference in performance.....8 GB is NOT enough, it will HINDER performance. 2. OVERCLOCK your CPU !!!.....many owners of your CPU have been safely running at 4.5 Ghz or HIGHER...some at 4.8 Ghz !!! This OC will make a DRAMATIC improvement  as  CPU speed is a huge factor in performance. 3. Improve your video card to a new NVidia 970 with 4 GB of video memory. 4. Check and MAKE SURE the power supply in your machine is ADEQUATE to handle everything, esp. if you overclock the CPU....generally 850 to 1,000 watts of a quality make is good. 5. Use a fast storage system...that means a SATA III SSD as your "C" drive, ( boot drive), being a Crucial M550 series,( or, M600 series), OR, a Samsung 850 Pro series SSD, ( more expensive). Other SSDs are NOT recommended, only these two makes are recommended for technical reasons. On this "C" drive, you should have Operating system, Programs, and Windows page file ONLY !! Your "D" drive can be ANOTHER single SSD to be used as a "cache drive" for all the previews, media cache, and cache files that Premier Pro creates PLUS, it can ALSO serve as the "Global Performance cache" used in After Effects. All your media and project files can go on your "E" drive. HERE you would have LIMITED OPTIONS because your motherboard only has TWO SATA III ports, ( which would already be used b the "C" and "D" SSDs). You NOW have only 4 SATA II ports left ......you COULD RAID 0 four 1 TB HDDs off these ports and have a 4TB backup drive connected to one of your TWO USB 3 external ports.....any DVD or Blue-ray can ALSO go on an external port.

However, if you are into spending REAL MONEY !!!.....Go Haswell E and X99 all the way !!...THAT will give you great performance !!

• 4. Re: What Systems are the Pros Using for Premier, After Effects, and SpeedGrade?
                GOD-sSs-END Level 1

I appreciate the time. Just correction: I am showing 8 cores in Task Manger (view preference when tabbed to performance - "one graph per core". And the model number I gave above is not showing all the system is capable of. Here's something better:

SYX SG-125

Found the email confirmation for purchase. Here's the link:

SYX SG-125 Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 GHz, Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64 Bit, 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti…

It is 32Gig capable. So I can do that. I'm curious what I can upgrade the video card to. Once I find out, I can try that as well.

Another question:

Does the quality of monitor matter? I have a Sony television connected to my system, with an ASUS monitor off to the side. Any thoughts?

• 5. Re: What Systems are the Pros Using for Premier, After Effects, and SpeedGrade?
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Right now the X99 system with DDR4 gives the best performance for media content applications especially with GPU acceleration. I would suggest a I7 5960X, 32GB of DDR4 2666, 980GTX video card and Asus X99 board with the storage dependent on the media. That will far out perform the 2600 which is 2 generations old at this point and is only a Quad core with HT. The same X99 boards can also handle the V3 Xeons if you need to upgrade the CPU in the future for greater realtime load.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: What Systems are the Pros Using for Premier, After Effects, and SpeedGrade?
                    GOD-sSs-END Level 1

Certainly curious about the monitor(s) situation. And thank you in advance for answering.

Here's what I've done so far:

-purchased 32Gigs for my system

-purchased a new video card

Unfortunately, I only have PCI 2.0 slots. So, 2 Gig is my max there. Having said that, it's crucial that I find out about the monitor situation.

As mentioned, I'm running a Sony 46" with my original ASUS, 20" off the side. Does the monitor have anything to do with actual performance, or is it just display?

Thanks again.

• 8. Re: What Systems are the Pros Using for Premier, After Effects, and SpeedGrade?
                      pH0u57

I have a 6-core Intel i7 980, 24GB DDR-3 RAM, a NVidia 570 GTX, a Creative SB X-Fi, a BMD Intensity Pro 4K and 2 SSDs (one for System & Software, one for footage of recent projects) on Windows 7 x64. Plus a HDD for random stuff.

Using it for HD ProRes & XDCAM editing. Runs very well, though, I'm thinking about upgrading to a NVidia GTX 970 as soon as Adobe's support is better.

I have a 3-screen set-up with two "normal" screens for Desktop/Software (Benq 120hz & Samsung 60hz) and an Eizo CS240 connected to the Intensity Pro via 10-bit HDMI.

btw: Since I'm freelance and using this set-up to work, I guess technically it's a "pro set-up". Though, this has probably nothing to do with Hollywood-grade set-ups.

• 9. Re: What Systems are the Pros Using for Premier, After Effects, and SpeedGrade?
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rendavid wrote:

I appreciate the time. Just correction: I am showing 8 cores in Task Manger (view preference when tabbed to performance - "one graph per core". And the model number I gave above is not showing all the system is capable of. Here's something better:

I'm curious what I can upgrade the video card to. Once I find out, I can try that as well.

Another question:

Does the quality of monitor matter? I have a Sony television connected to my system, with an ASUS monitor off to the side. Any thoughts?

Please understand that your i7-2600 is a 4-core chip with hyperthreading and since it does not have a "k" following the part number it cannot be overclocked.

Take a look at What Video Card To Use, the data there is a little bit dated but .  In my opinion, with that antique i7-2600 CPU there is no reason to upgrade from your GTX 550.  Now if you are planning on a changing to Eric's recommended X99 true 8 core (16 thread) configuration then a GTX 980 would indeed be appropriate

The monitor does not figure in to performance, only quality of the image you see.