4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2007 6:24 AM by whatalotofrubbish

Low on Memory?  Only using two apps?

Level 7
      Hi,

I'm experiencing, increasingly, "Low on Memory" warnings from Fireworks
      (8.0.0.777). This seems to happen when I have more than 1 PNG file open at
      a time, but also happens when I have DW and Fireworks open at the same time.
      In Task Manager, Fireworks can be using between 100,000K - 300,000K memory
      when this happens.

These memory warnings are usually followed by "Internal Error" problems.

I notice, in some of the newsgroups, that this was a problem on Mac
      installations, but I can't find any tech notes about it and I'm convinced
      this is an error because I am not doing anything "heavy" in terms of
      graphics work. My PNG files are no bigger than 10MB so it's not like I'm
      editing 60, 70 MB high res photos or anything (god help me if I was...I'm
      not sure Fireworks would even open!).

Is this a known bug? Anything I can do about it?

I am using a PC 3.40Ghz Pentium (R)D CPU, 2GB RAM with Win XP Pro. I feel
      this is more than sufficient to run DW and Fireworks together...isn't it?
      :o(

Thanks
      Nath.

• 1. Re: Low on Memory?  Only using two apps?
          Level 7
          I have no good answers for you. I have a PC with 2.GHz Pentium with 2GB of
          RAM and mine works fine. I rarely work on files over 5mb though.

Peter
          |
          | I'm experiencing, increasingly, "Low on Memory" warnings from Fireworks
          | (8.0.0.777). This seems to happen when I have more than 1 PNG file open
          at
          | a time, but also happens when I have DW and Fireworks open at the same
          time.
          | In Task Manager, Fireworks can be using between 100,000K - 300,000K memory
          | when this happens.
          |
          | These memory warnings are usually followed by "Internal Error" problems.
          |
          | I notice, in some of the newsgroups, that this was a problem on Mac
          | installations, but I can't find any tech notes about it and I'm convinced
          | this is an error because I am not doing anything "heavy" in terms of
          | graphics work. My PNG files are no bigger than 10MB so it's not like I'm
          | editing 60, 70 MB high res photos or anything (god help me if I was...I'm
          | not sure Fireworks would even open!).
          |
          | Is this a known bug? Anything I can do about it?
          |
          | I am using a PC 3.40Ghz Pentium (R)D CPU, 2GB RAM with Win XP Pro. I feel
          | this is more than sufficient to run DW and Fireworks together...isn't it?
          | :o(
          |
          | Thanks
          | Nath.
          |
          |

• 2. Re: Low on Memory?  Only using two apps?
            ampersandee
            Very frustrating. I get the same "low on memory" error, looking to export a FW document to PSD. The FW doc is less than 6MB and I am running a MacBook Pro with the max of RAM (3GB) with 40GB of free Hard Drive. What memory is low? This is also using FW CS3 - how can this STILL be an issue? Any were are the techs to jump in and answer this?

Help?
            • 3. Re: Low on Memory?  Only using two apps?
              ampersandee Level 1
              Ok, I found the root of my issue. It seemed to be bad data in one layer. The odd thing is, I have seen this error show up when a corrupt font was being used, but in my case the layer that produced this error had no font data at all. It was just a bitmap image - a screen capture to be precise.

Hope that helps.
              • 4. Re: Low on Memory?  Only using two apps?
                whatalotofrubbish Level 1
                I had similar problems using Fireworks, but on a PC rather than a Mac. I contacted customer support and after going through their suggested procedures the problem was still there. It turned out that there was an obscure fault on my motherboard regarding memory that only fireworks had a problem with. Changed the board and everything was OK. Not the fault of fireworks at all.