5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 10:51 AM by 99jon

Can Premiere Elements handle H.265?

larryl21169530

Does Adobe Premiere Elements 13 hande for H.265 codec as of yet?

• 1. Re: Can Premiere Elements handle H.265?
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not yet. Not in Premiere Pro either; so I guess we shall have to await future updates. 4k content is still quite rare. We shall probably need faster computers also.

See this Prem Pro thread.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1142160

• 2. Re: Can Premiere Elements handle H.265?
            whsprague Level 4

Forgive me if I'm stepping on you 99jon ..... 

H.265 is not needed for 4K.  

I have a new Panasonic LX100 that shoots 4K.  Premier Elements 13 handles it well.  I've tried PrE 13 with borrowed 4K footage from other "consumer" 4K cameras as well.  PrE 13 has both 4K project presets and output encoding presets.   I have a computer with an i7 CPU and a lot of memory.  Editing with 4K is no different than AVCHD.  Output rendering speeds using XAVC S presets takes a little longer, but not significantly for typical 10 minute videos.  Both YouTube and Vimeo now accept 4K footage.  PrE13 will also output a 4K project to 1920x1080 settings. 

The only surprise is that Adobe is so quiet about PrE13 supporting 4K.  The three major consumer grade NLE competitors brag it up in marketing product descriptions.   Thinking I was going to be unable to stick with PrE due to my new 4K camera, I bought the Sony product and started learning it.  Then I upgraded to PrE13 for the shake stabilizer only to discover all the pieces are there for 4K.  A bonus is that the "Freeze Frame" tool has a new meaning with 4K footage.

If anyone wants to test 4K compatibility, I've put a couple "out of camera", ungraded clips on Vimeo that can be downloaded.  I'll provide the links if anybody is interested.   

• 3. Re: Can Premiere Elements handle H.265?

Thanks for that. Yes h.265 is more about higher compression without loss of quality.

• 4. Re: Can Premiere Elements handle H.265?
                larryl21169530 Level 1

It's unfortunate considering that I'm impressed with PE 13 thus far and yet a codec like H.265, which has been around for a year, hasn't been integrated with the product. This can create a case for people to leave Premiere altogether considering the benefits behind H.265. Even a simple, free program like Handbrake supports H.265... now what do you do with the files if you can't edit them in PE?

• 5. Re: Can Premiere Elements handle H.265?

I think some plug-ins are starting to emerge for Sony Vegas and Premiere Pro to enable export to h.265

So this may be a possibility for PRE before future updates.