11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 8:30 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom to Photoshop and back logic

lisaellensegal Level 1

Hi Lightroom/Photoshop wizards,

I work in LR and PS CC.  I am now working for someone else and want to make sure that our edited images end up in lightroom after editing in a logical manner so that we can easily see which images will be used for our photo albums.

Here is how I am working:

1. Import photos into LR, give 4 star rating to images that will go into album
      2. Make some LR edits
      3. Edit photo with PS (directly from LR)
      4. Save image in PS
      5. go through all images to hand pick the ones that I want in the album (now there are copies) This is the part where everything falls apart.  I end up with redundant files and I can't distinguish the finished ones (other than looking one by one to determine the correct version to use).  Is there a logical way to handle this?
      6. Export to separate "album" folder selected images

Also, one extra question, If I am working with high res jpegs (rather than raw), how do I maintain the size of the files?  I exported original file and it did not carry with it any changes made in Lightroom.

Thanks!

Lisa

• 1. Re: Lightroom to Photoshop and back logic
          dj_paige Level 9

go through all images to hand pick the ones that I want in the album (now there are copies) This is the part where everything falls apart. I end up with redundant files and I can't distinguish the finished ones (other than looking one by one to determine the correct version to use).  Is there a logical way to handle this?

Could you provide more detail? I do not understand what is falling apart here. The files in Lightroom that come from Photoshop have "edit" in the file name.

Also, one extra question, If I am working with high res jpegs (rather than raw), how do I maintain the size of the files?  I exported original file and it did not carry with it any changes made in Lightroom.

The whole idea of "maintaining JPG file sizes" is not a valid idea. JPG is a compression technology. The file size WILL change every time you export a JPG. There is no way to keep the file size the same. You ought to be concentrating on making sure that the number of pixels in the photo remains the same, not the file size. And to keep the number of pixels the same, when you export by making sure the "Resize to Fit" is unchecked. Of course, there are other situations where you might want to check "Resize to Fit", especially if you want to reduce the image size for e-mail or upload.

If you exported the photo and there were no edits, then you probably had File Format set to "Original" instead of "JPG" in the Export dialog box.

• 2. Re: Lightroom to Photoshop and back logic
            lisaellensegal Level 1

I am sorry if I was not clear. I was thinking that there might be a quick and simple way to identify or flag images that I want to track for say and album.  I want to eliminate any confusion or taking the wrong version of a file.  Perhaps I should just ask what a reliable, logical workflow is when working in LR/PS round tripping.  Perhaps making PS edits first, then Lr changes?  I want the simplest, cleanest, logical, least amount of confusion when working on images for an album.  Having 2 or 3 versions of the same image can lead to confusion.  Some of our images will not be edited in PS, others will. 

My second question is exporting out jpegs without losing any resolution - basically copying the files to another folder for example "edited album images" folder and keeping them in the lr database.  Is there a way to do this through Lr?  When I chose "export" and "original" lr edits did not carry through.

Thanks so much,

Lisa

• 3. Re: Lightroom to Photoshop and back logic
              dj_paige Level 9

I am sorry if I was not clear. I was thinking that there might be a quick and simple way to identify or flag images that I want to track for say and album.  I want to eliminate any confusion or taking the wrong version of a file.  Perhaps I should just ask what a reliable, logical workflow is when working in LR/PS round tripping.  Perhaps making PS edits first, then Lr changes?  I want the simplest, cleanest, logical, least amount of confusion when working on images for an album.  Having 2 or 3 versions of the same image can lead to confusion.  Some of our images will not be edited in PS, others will.

No, you certainly want to edit photos in LR first, and then if necessary send them to PS for additional edits that are not available in LR.

I'm still not clear about "eliminate any confusion". What confusion? As I said, the photos that have been edited by PS will have the word "edit" in the file name, while the photos that have not been sent to Photoshop will not have "edit" in the file name. Also, when you send a file to PS, you can ask LR to stack the PS edited version with the version that has not been sent to PS, thus keeping the pair side-by-side in the Library module.

My second question is exporting out jpegs without losing any resolution - basically copying the files to another folder for example "edited album images" folder and keeping them in the lr database.  Is there a way to do this through Lr?  When I chose "export" and "original" lr edits did not carry through.

So in your first message, you spoke of file size, and now you speak of resolution. These are not the same. So which is it? To maintain the resolution, you uncheck the box that says "Resize to Fit".

I don't understand why you want to copy files to some other folder, Lightroom provides collections and keywords and plenty of other tools to allow you to organize and identify these photos for whatever purpose you want. So you would use these tools to achieve the organization of your original photos or the Photoshop edited versions of the photos. Without a clear justifcation, I would say that in most cases there is not a need to achieve organization of exported photos. Furthermore there is no "copy" command in Lightroom (except at import which we don't seem to be talking about).

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you want to export to save your edits and then maintain some organization of your edited photos? Is that  correct? As I said, there is no need to do this (nor is it an effective way to proceed). You perform the organization of your photos in Lightroom, no need to export simply to organize. Exporting is performed when the photo is needed outside of Lightroom for some non-Lightroom purpose (e.g. e-mail, web, print, use in some other program).

• 4. Re: Lightroom to Photoshop and back logic
                lisaellensegal Level 1

Thank you again for your reply.  How is this, what is your logical workflow when an album is your end goal?   How do you flag your images and at what point assuming that you shot 100 images and your client has chosen 50.  You now will do some additional polishing of the 50 chosen shots, some in PS, some just Lr.  How would you be super clear as to which images will be in the album.

As far as exporting jpegs out of Lr, I just don't want to add any more compression or compromise the quality of the file. Perhaps making another folder for finished album images is not the logical way to work. Again, exactly how would you keep these images clearly delineated from the entire group?

Regards,

Lisa

• 5. Re: Lightroom to Photoshop and back logic
                  dj_paige Level 9

How is this, what is your logical workflow when an album is your end goal?   How do you flag your images and at what point assuming that you shot 100 images and your client has chosen 50.  You now will do some additional polishing of the 50 chosen shots, some in PS, some just Lr.  How would you be super clear as to which images will be in the album.

To be super clear, we are talking about collections, not albums. There are many ways to select these images — here's one: use a smart collection to find all photos in a folder that have the word "edit" in the title. Then you move those photos to the collection. So ... all 100 images are in a folder, the client selects 50, you do additional editing on these 50, and then using a smart collection, you have Lightroom select those 50 which have the word "edit" in the file name from that folder and you're done. Your "album" is the smart collection. (Or you could use "dumb" collections, or stars, or color labels, or keywords, or other metadata, there are many possibilities)

As far as exporting jpegs out of Lr, I just don't want to add any more compression or compromise the quality of the file.

I assume you are exporting to provide copies for the client. When you export a JPG, there will be compression. There is NO way to avoid this when you export a JPG. You can set the quality slider to some high number (let's say 80) and most likely, no one will notice the compression. You'd have to blow up the image to a huge size to see these compression artifacts, and this assumes that the person knows what a compression artifact looks like. If the photo is to be printed, then these compression artifacts will not be seen at all.

Or you could export as a TIF, and then there is no compression (or loss-less compression which won't affect quality).

Perhaps making another folder for finished album images is not the logical way to work. Again, exactly how would you keep these images clearly delineated from the entire group?

The smart collection (or any of the other methods I alluded to) keeps these images clearly identified and clearly delineated from the rest of the group.

• 6. Re: Lightroom to Photoshop and back logic
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you processing every file in Photoshop? If you say that you can't see the difference between the original and the copy made in Photoshop, then what is the purpose of going to Photoshop?

• 7. Re: Lightroom to Photoshop and back logic
                      lisaellensegal Level 1

No, let's say I have 100 photos non ps photos.  client chooses 50.  Of those I edit 30 in ps.  How do I eliminate human error and stream line process?

• 8. Re: Lightroom to Photoshop and back logic
                        lisaellensegal Level 1

Ps there is a visual dfference in the ps edited shots, but you have to look at each image or at each file name. Lots of room for mistakes And confusion.

• 9. Re: Lightroom to Photoshop and back logic
                          lisaellensegal Level 1

Here is an example:

I have 100 images in a lr folder

client chooses 50

30 get ps efits

all 50 will go into a book or photo album (actual physical book)

Not all images have "edit" in the name.   I tried color ratings, but once you edit, you get 2 files with the same color rating.

Can you see hown easy it could be to put incorrect image in a book?

• 10. Re: Lightroom to Photoshop and back logic
                            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I guess I can only suggest the way I do it. It might not be the the most efficient, but it works for me. I have Lightroom eexternal editing configured to create TIF files. And I have selected the option to stack that file with the original. When I return from Photoshop I collapse the stack, ensuring that the TIF file is the one on the top of the stack. The TIF file that was edited in Photoshop is the one being displayed.Then, in your situation, I would export copies of the selected images. Since the edited copy is the one being displayed, it isn't necessary to worry about which one to choose. Those exported copies are the ones I would give to the client.

• 11. Re: Lightroom to Photoshop and back logic
                              dj_paige Level 9

So you assign a 5-star rating to the ones that are not to be edited in PS.

Then your smart collections searches for all photos in that folder that have EITHER 5-stars or the word "edit" in the file name.

There are probably dozens of other ways to accomplish this.

You can't eliminate human error