3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 10:06 AM by winpod

Lightroom won't allow me to add file during import - only copy

winpod

I'm trying to import items to my catalog.  When I choose items from my hard drive that are NOT in dropbox, Lightroom offers me the "add" and "move" options for the files.  When I choose files that are anywhere within dropbox, it only offers the "copy" import functions.  I don't want second copies of these files - I already have them imported into my computer.  It will let me import and copy TO the Dropbox files, but won't just add from them.

One detail (that shouldn't matter, but maybe) ... Windows believes that dropbox is indeed stored on the local hard drive but only through a junction trick within Windows.  The folder is actually on a very large SDXC card permanently resident on the computer.  Windows doesn't even know this as a result of the trick being used - so Lightroom shouldn't care.  Like I said ... Lightroom lets me import and copy TO those locations but when selecting files already there it makes me copy them.  I've been using Photoshop and CR forever and this has worked fine.  Trying to use lightroom for the improved elegance of the CR feature set and the ability to non-desctructively make and save raw level changes but can't tolerate duplication of thousands of raw images.

Help!

• 1. Re: Lightroom won't allow me to add file during import - only copy
          dj_paige Level 9

Windows doesn't even know this as a result of the trick being used - so Lightroom shouldn't care.

Obviously, Lightroom does care, and it will not allow you to ADD photos from a camera card; COPY is the option that Lightroom allows from a camera card.

So, it seems like you need more hard disk space to house these photos.

• 2. Re: Lightroom won't allow me to add file during import - only copy
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Like it or not, Lightroom is aware that the files are on a card. And you cannot add images stored that way. If you are that low on space you might consider an external hard drive as an alternative.

• 3. Re: Lightroom won't allow me to add file during import - only copy
              winpod Level 1

Thanks for the input.

Lightroom allows me to copy TO that location on an import but not import FROM it?  So I'm allowed to import and end up with stuff there, but not allowed to start with it there.  No sense at all in that design.  That's downright restrictive and really offers no particular benefit.  Hey, Lightroom designers ... change that!

This computer is a powerful ultrabook with a 512 SSD which is as big as reasonably and cost-effective available with the addition of a 256 SDXC card to handle the additional extra capacity I need.  Not too many other reasonable options out there.  This computer is constantly on the go and the addition of an external drive hanging off of it simply isn't manageable.

Any other tricks out there?