3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 10:30 AM by John Mensinger

How to set up this inDesign page.

baboonstudio

indesign.pngHello

What would be your approach to make this inDesign file a walk in the park. I have almost 50 pages and they all have the same  3 column layout with small table on top.

I need last the last column to be positioned on the bottom of the frame and the table to position itself always within the same height from last column headline. Well what I need is actually some inDesign magic and not setting it manually like I did it so far.

Thanks !

[Moved from the general Cloud forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

• 1. Re: How to set up this inDesign page.
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

baboonstudio wrote:

I have almost 50 pages and they all have the same  3 column layout with small table on top.

...what I need is actually some inDesign magic and not setting it manually like I did it so far.

There really is no magic. Quality page layout takes work, and InDesign is only a set of tools. Fortunately, it includes tools to make the manual work you've done so far more easily repeatable than repeating the entire manual task.

• Set up and apply paragraph and character styles so the type formatting is consistent and easily adjusted throughout the document.
          • Set up and apply object styles so object formatting is consistent and easily adjusted throughout the document
          • (After you do the above) copy the whole page and Paste in Place on a Master page so everything in the layout is easily replicated on any/every page, then override items as necessary to edit each page.
          • 2. Re: How to set up this inDesign page.
            baboonstudio Level 1

I have already set paragraph and character styles but I am afraid I don't know how to set object style here - I haven't used them so far. This is the first long document I'm working with.

• 3. Re: How to set up this inDesign page.
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you already know how to use Paragraph and Character styles, Object styles operate on the same fundamental principles. The same way you define, set, and apply type formatting via Paragraph and Character styles, you define, set, and apply the attributes of objects (frames) via Object styles.

If the Object styles panel isn't visible, call it up from the Window menu at Window > Styles > Object Styles. Choose New Object Style from the panel menu and explore the Object Style Options dialog. It's all there.