13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 12:27 AM by HOTELECHOMIKE

How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video

HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

I have Premier Elements 13 installed on a PC (Windows 7)

Last September I made some HD video whilst in the right-hand seat of a Beechcraft Bonanza aircraft.  Since most of the video was shot pointing forward through the propeller the video has grey shading from the prop.  Due to the varying engine speed & the number of frames per second sometimes the prop appeares to be stationary, slowly turning forward or even backward.

I had heard a story that some video editting programs can filter this prop-effect out.  Does anyone have any idea how this might be done with PE 13?

HEM

• 1. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELLECHOMIKE

There are a variety of effects that might be applied but I would not want to venture a can do/cannot do opinion without a look at a scene from this video.

Could you send a small sample of the video (using a Dropbox link in your thread) or, maybe for first look, just a screenshot of one of the typical scenes in the movie that is going to need aircraft propeller removal from the video.

I would prefer the screenshot first.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
            HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Hi,

I hope I managed to upload an example here whilst taxiing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3wojjmw2aqr91i/09-25-2014_140222.m2ts?dl=0

Let me know if it helps.

Hotel Echo Mike

• 3. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hotel Echo Mike

I just downloaded your video and got a look at those aircraft propellers. My first impression is that removal of those aircraft propellers cannot be done

in Premiere Elements any version because of the frequency of appearance of the propellers and how they are appearing. But, I did have a wild idea of what "might" work - lots

of work depending on the duration of the segment where those propellers need to be gone and if you have Photoshop Elements with the Content Aware feature

under the Healing Brush in the toolbox.

On the computer hard drive, create an empty folder. Name it Propeller Video Frames.

In Premiere Elements import your propellers clip (1920 x 1080p50; 23 seconds; 1128 frames in the whole video)

(The project preset should be PAL AVCHD AVCHD1080p50).

Using the Save To: the empty "Propeller Video Frames" Folder that you created, export that file using Publish+Share/Computer/Image to obtain the video as 1128 files (separate JPEG 1920 x 1080 files), each representing a frame in the video. Important: Presets = JPEG - HD - 1920 x 1080. And, under its Advance Button = export settings must include a check mark next to "Export As Sequence", set frame rate to 50.

In Photoshop Elements edited out the propeller in each frame in the Propeller Video Frames Folder, using Content Aware.

When finished, go to Premiere Elements with

Project Preset = PAL AVCHD AVCHD 1080p50

and

Edit Menu/Preferences/General with a Still Image Default Duration = 1 frame.

Then, import the whole  Propeller Video Frames Folder into Premiere Elements with the PAL AVCHD HD1080p50 project preset. From Project Assets drag the whole folder to

the Timeline where the 1128 will present in sequence on the Timeline.

What does that all look like? Good, less good, or terrible. I am going to give this a try with about the first 10 of the 1128 frames of your video.

Unfortunately, I have not yet figured out a way to do this with mattes or other maneuvers in Premiere Elements. Still thinking about it.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hotel Echo Mike

Update...

I did some work on my idea. Getting rid of the propellers is not so bad, but there is a reflection/haze in the middle of the frame which needs removing along with the propellers. Not sure if the Contact Aware can handle that as nicely as it is doing with the propellers. So far, not so good with the reflection/haze.

Half of me says leave the propellers there for "atmosphere". But, after a few seconds, they became distracting. If we had a video before the propellers went into action as well as when they did, I am wondering if there is any possibility for the fx Effects/Keying/Difference Matte. Need to look at this some more. That might be hard to impossible to get that to work for that sample video.

ATR

• 5. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
                  whsprague Level 4

HOTELECHOMIKE wrote:

Hi,

I hope I managed to upload an example here whilst taxiing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3wojjmw2aqr91i/09-25-2014_140222.m2ts?dl=0

Let me know if it helps.

Hotel Echo Mike

Is that Renton?

• 6. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
                    HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Yes that is Renton / Seattle - you saw the B737s?.

HEM

• 7. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hotel Echo Mike

Progress report

Using Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Publish+Share/Computer/Image, I obtained all the frames of your video sample in sequence as JPEG. See my scheme details posted in prior post in your thread. Here is an example of what I accomplished so far for 1 of the 1128 frames.

This is frame 9 in the sequence 0 to 1128...in Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 and Before and After Spot Healing Brush/Content Aware

BEFORE

Untitled0009.jpg

AFTER (propellers gone, but still more to go with non propeller unwanteds.

Untitled0009.jpg

Is that going to be a viable approach with 1127 more frames to go and non propeller objects still a challenge?

ATR

• 8. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
                        HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

This method, whilst impressive, would not seem to scale!  Particularly as this wasn't the only clip from the flight - in fact it was one of the shorter ones!

Minor point: I only have Premier Elements 13.1 (not Photoshop...)

Maybe we have to wait for some "future technology".

• 9. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
                          whsprague Level 4

HOTELECHOMIKE wrote:

Yes that is Renton / Seattle - you saw the B737s?.

HEM

I recognized the landscape.  I used to work in Cessna single engine and landed there many times for sales demos.  For awhile I was the only person west of the Mississippi that would give training in an amphibious floatplane.   Part of the training included a water landing, lowering the landing gear in the water and taxiing up the old seaplane ramp at the north end of the field.  The FAA check pilot was at Renton too.  

Back to the topic.... I think you have to live with the "artistic effect".    If you get another chance, try a manual setting on the camera for a very slow shutter speed. 

• 10. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
                            HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Float plane?  Like this one - also @ Renton?:

beaver.jpg

On that day we flew to near Mt. Rainer & back.  Myself I fly the engineless variety.

• 11. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
                              whsprague Level 4

HOTELECHOMIKE wrote:

Float plane?  Like this one - also @ Renton?:

beaver.jpg

On that day we flew to near Mt. Rainer & back.  Myself I fly the engineless variety.

I've flown Beavers, but the one I used for teaching was a Cessna 182 and the floats had wheels in them.  We didn't need the truck. 

• 12. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hotel Echo Mike

Referring back to your post 8.

I would agree that you need to seek technology other than Premiere Elements for cleaning up your videos with regard to propeller and other objects in your videos.

I came across the following Adobe After Effects video tutorial "Removing Moving Objects from Video". Not sure if even it would do the job for you.

A few posts back in your thread, I wrote

"Half of me says leave the propellers there for "atmosphere". But, after a few seconds, they became distracting" I would add mesmerizing.

Have you thought about investing in one of the action cameras that you might attach to the outside of the aircraft to capture the view from your

aircraft?

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: How to Remove Aircraft Propeller from Video
                                  HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

I agree that we have to close this one for now.  Will have to put up with atmosphere / distraction / mesmerizing.

I'm aware of what one can film with cameras such as GoPro - they put up with a lot - like spinning exercises:  Segelflug-Blog: F-Schlepp und Trudeln in der DG-1000 -Video - SPIEGEL ONLINE)

(I've flown this particular one...)

In the case of the video from Renton / Seattle:  it was a one-off opportunity to fly with a friend whilst on vacation in the US.  I normally prefer the quieter sort

HEM