13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2008 9:40 PM by BobieMac

internal error occurred!

When opening my fireworks files...several of them, not all, keep giving me the error message "Could not complete your request. An internal error occurred" How can I diagnose this?
        • 1. Re: internal error occurred!
          Level 7
          katland wrote:

> When opening my fireworks files...several of them, not all, keep
          > giving me the error message "Could not complete your request. An
          > internal error occurred" How can I diagnose this?

Which version of Fireworks are you using?

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: internal error occurred!
            Fireworks 8
            • 3. Re: internal error occurred!
              Level 7
              katland wrote:

> Fireworks 8

An Internal Error message is an indication that some kind of memory
              handling was not made available to the program. Possible causes are
              moving the file to a new location, using the program in User rather than
              in Administrator mode, Saving to a networked drive rather than the one
              the program is installed on. Some people have reported this kind of
              message after uninstalling fonts that may have been used in the file.

Sometimes you can fix the problem by deleting the Fireworks preferences
              text file. On my machine, that file is located at

C:\Documents and Settings\Linda Rathgeber\Application
              Data\Macromedia\Fireworks 8\English

--
              • 4. Re: internal error occurred!
                Thanks for your reply... I think it might be related to fonts because I recently cleaned up and deleted a lot of my active fonts. I'm on a Mac, where would I find this text file preference you mentioned? I can't seem to find it. Once I find it and delete it, does Fireworks 8 rebuild the preference?
                • 5. Re: internal error occurred!
                  Level 7
                  katland wrote:

> Thanks for your reply... I think it might be related to fonts because I
                  > recently cleaned up and deleted a lot of my active fonts. I'm on a Mac, where
                  > would I find this text file preference you mentioned? I can't seem to find it.
                  > Once I find it and delete it, does Fireworks 8 rebuild the preference?

Sorry, but I don't know where to find the preferences text is located on
                  a Mac. The file does rebuild itself when the program is reloaded, though.

--
                  • 6. Re: internal error occurred!
                    millymoo321
                    Can someone please help me

FIREWORKS 8 INSTALLED
                    LOAD THE PROGRAM, INTERNAL ERROR OCCURED
                    I THINK IT MIGHT BE A PLUG IN PROBLEM? I HAVE NO CLUE, IT SEEMS TO STOP THERE SO THATS Y I THOUGHT THAT,
                    IVE TRIED EVERYTHING BUT NOTHING WORKS CAN SOMEONE HELP ON THIS PLEASE
                    • 7. Re: internal error occurred!
                      Level 7
                      millymoo321 wrote:
                      > Can someone please help me
                      >
                      > FIREWORKS 8 INSTALLED
                      > LOAD THE PROGRAM, INTERNAL ERROR OCCURED
                      > I THINK IT MIGHT BE A PLUG IN PROBLEM? I HAVE NO CLUE, IT SEEMS TO STOP THERE
                      > SO THATS Y I THOUGHT THAT,
                      > IVE TRIED EVERYTHING BUT NOTHING WORKS CAN SOMEONE HELP ON THIS PLEASE

What operating system are you using? How much ram is installed in your
                      computer? Have you installed Fireworks in Administrative mode? Have you
                      moved any folders around on your hard drive, or deleted any?

--
                      1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: internal error occurred!
                        faithmatters
                        I too am suddenly getting an internal error when I try to start Fireworks. I'm just opening the program from a shortcut, not even opening an image file. I am running Windows Vista. I have 2046 MB of RAM. Fireworks is installed and running in Administrative mode. I have not (to my knowledge) changed any fonts or moved any of the program's files.

I tried deleting my preferences file. No help.

I did just clear up a problem with Microsoft Word. It stopped loading after I received an update to iTunes. I did a system recovery, but that didn't solve the problem with Word. I uninstalled iTunes and that did the trick. Could there be something else that installed with the iTunes update that's affecting Fireworks, or is it just a coincidence that Fireworks suddenly started acting up at the same time? I assume you won't be able to answer that question, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case it's a commonly experienced problem.

Thank you for any help you can give!
                        • 9. Re: internal error occurred!
                          Mr_J_Psycho
                          Hi, This reply really helped for my problem

I was saving a blank png file as i wanted to set up a few files to be incorporated into a publisher file. When i saved a png I kept getting an error message saying that there was an internal error.

I just did what you said after finding this topic on google and it seemed to stop my problem so i can now use fireworks again properly.

Thanks again

Jonathon
                          • 10. Re: internal error occurred!
                            Mr_J_Psycho Level 1
                            However as soon as i saved one PNG i went to save another and i got the same message

What do i do know?
                            • 11. Re: internal error occurred!
                              Mr_J_Psycho Level 1
                              Now it won't work at all even with removing the file.

What can i do
                              • 12. Re: internal error occurred!
                                Mr_J_Psycho Level 1
                                After a much deeper look into this matter of mine i have found that it must be a glitch in the fireworks 8 program as it only happens if i set the image size using cm not pixels.
                                • 13. internal error occurred!
                                  BobieMac
                                  If anyone should come looking for this thread, getting the aforementioned "internal error" when opening PSDs, etc....deletion of Fireworks 8 Preferences AND Fireworks 8 Cache, within the Library in my profile did the trick.