3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2006 8:51 AM by kglad

Test Movie works, but not in Safari

Pulcinella2uk Level 1
      I have a movie which loads two external files into it (one jpg & one swf).

When I preview the movie in Flash, the movie works as expected.

When I preview it in Safari, the jpg can be seen but the swf cannot.

I have tried all sorts:

As the swf should be sitting on top of the jpg I have done the following:
      loadMovie("_global.pic+".jpg", "_root.square2");
      loadMovie("next.swf", "_level2.next2");

square2 & next2 are blank MovieClips, just used to load the external files into.

Anybody got any suggestions why it the movie doesn't work in a browser than under Flash Test Movie mode.

Please note, I know it isn't a Safari cache issue. I have made thorough checks to eliminate this as a problem. The movie works on Firefox on Mac & IE on PC (not tested it on Firefox on PC yet), but not on IE on Mac - but that is a very old browser now.

Also, please note that if I add a new layer in the timeline and put some content onto it - I don't see this either. The only thing that is viewable is the jpg loaded into the _root.
        • 1. Re: Test Movie works, but not in Safari
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          are you loading the html page created by publication of your fla? are you editing that html page in any way? what flash player versions are you using in the various browsers you cited ( http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15507 )?

and most importantly make sure loading of your previous swf (that contains next2) has completed before executing your _level2.next2.loadMovie("next.swf") statement. (and update your code to use loadMovie() statements like the one in this message.
          • 2. Re: Test Movie works, but not in Safari
            Pulcinella2uk Level 1
            Thanks for the reply.

I have found a solution, but it isn't that satisfactory:

I updated the Flash plug-in to the latest version, and the movie now works in Safari. Why this isn't very satisfactory is because I don't want the page to only work for the latest versions of Flash as the great majority won't have updated thier plug-in. Is there an issue with the plug-in that documents problems with levels in Flash - if so, it would be good to know a workaround.

I have also tested the movie with Dreamweaver's latest JavaScript based plug-in routine & it works fine like that. Thankfully, now that I've updated the plug-in, my favoured Alistapart validated code method of inserting Flash on an XHTML page now works.
            • 3. Re: Test Movie works, but not in Safari
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              there are no problems with older versions of the flash player (beyond 5) executing the code you showed. however, you have other code that probably does require an updated player.