8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2015 12:18 PM by BuzyBeePhoto

lightroom thinks my pictures are duplicates

jen.a.murray

I apologize because I am not very technical but in desperate need of help....  I recently moved from a PC to a MAC.  I copied my catalog and all my pictures over via external hard drive and set up Adobe CC on the MAC.  First few times I imported pictures, no problem.  Last night when I went to import some pictures (from my Nikon D5100 memory card), half were grayed out - they could not be checked or unchecked.  I clicked on one and it said "this photo is already in the catalog".  I don't get it at all - why is this suddenly happening?  Last night I went in to the memory card and renamed the files but today when I tried it said I did not have permission to rename some of them (??)   Out of 6 pictures, it only shows about 10 I can import and now 10 more it let me rename.  Any help?  I am so confused and need my pictures.

Thank you!!

Jen

• 1. Re: lightroom thinks my pictures are duplicates
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are they duplicates or not??? Where are you importing to??

Perhaps you could add a screen shot of the import window like this:

(use shift+command+4 to get the screen camera)

Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 6.14.28 pm.png

• 2. Re: lightroom thinks my pictures are duplicates
            jen.a.murray Level 1

The images are not duplicates but the file names may be duplicates (but again, I've never had this issue before) - I change the file name on import but when LR is reading the card, it is saying the images are duplicates.  Again, I apologize for not being technical but as far as importing to, I'm importing to the same catalog I always have - just that it has recently moved from pc to Mac

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 6.57.57 PM.png

• 3. Re: lightroom thinks my pictures are duplicates
              dj_paige Level 9

I think the next task is to find out why Lightroom thinks these photos are duplicates. The usual answer is that they have been previously imported into Lightroom. Have they been previously imported?

If you don't think they have been previously imported then please try these steps in order

1. In the Library Module (not the Import dialog box), go to the Catalog Panel on the left and click on "All Photographs"
              2. Expand All Stacks
              3. Turn off any filters (Cmd-L once or twice)
              4. Search for one of these photos (for example, _DSC0017.NEF) by file name

Do you find this file in Lightroom when you search for it as described above?

• 4. Re: lightroom thinks my pictures are duplicates
                jen.a.murray Level 1

Thank you - I kind of started from scratch.  I took a few pictures tonight and tried to import them.  Of the 5 I took, only 2 were able to be imported - the other 3 were grayed out.  So, the first one that was grayed out was _DSC0004.NEF, so that is the one that I searched for - 4 pictures came up with that name.  So that tells me that for some reason LR now won't let me import pictures with the same name, but that I used to be able to.  Being I'm using LR on a new computer, and had to reinstall it from Adobe CC, I'm not sure if there is a setting that is different.  (and I really need to clean up and get rid of old raw files)

As a side note - last night I really needed some of the pictures that LR would not let me import - in desperation, I imported them using iPhoto (which I had not used before).  Once i did that (with no problem), I opened LR up and all the pictures (from the memory card) were there and ready to import into the catalog - I did so, did my editing and exported with no problem.  Again, not sure why.

Thank you for your help

• 5. Re: lightroom thinks my pictures are duplicates
                  gregl923178

I've had this exact problem for ages and it has driven me crazy!

I've got the Nikon 5100 and I'm using a Mac mini, not sure if it's anything to do with the camera/Mac combination but I eventually figured out that if I rename the SD card using the Finder, Lightroom will import every image.

Hope this helps I know how annoying it is!

Greg

• 6. Re: lightroom thinks my pictures are duplicates
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

gregl923178 wrote:

I've had this exact problem for ages and it has driven me crazy!

I've got the Nikon 5100 and I'm using a Mac mini, not sure if it's anything to do with the camera/Mac combination but I eventually figured out that if I rename the SD card using the Finder, Lightroom will import every image.

Hope this helps I know how annoying it is!

Greg

If you have the camera set to always start with 001.XXX as the file numbering of images you will always run into this problem. Not sure why that setting is included in most cameras.

• 7. Re: lightroom thinks my pictures are duplicates
                      ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

To be considered a duplicate, the images need to match in the file name and file size and timestamp.

• 8. Re: lightroom thinks my pictures are duplicates
                        BuzyBeePhoto

I had the same problem and discovered on the right hand side of the screen there's a "file handling" area that has a box that's checked and reads "Don't import suspected duplicates". I removed the check mark and it imported the files.