3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2015 7:04 PM by wobertc

Export for printing

markw63330097

I'm trying to export a full-sized jpeg from my Nikon D610 RAW file. When I go to the export screen, I'm faced with a number of options that include "file settings" and "image sizing". The "file settings" section can be controlled for 100 quality to output a jpeg with no file size limit. However, in the "image sizing" section, I'm forced to pick a ppi resolution. I don't want to pick a resolution ... I simply want to export the maximum jpeg file from my RAW image. In Apple's Aperture software, I can simply select "original size" and it exports clean, maximized jpegs that print perfectly every time. With Lightroom, I'm baffled that I can't do something so simple.  How can I do this type of export in Lightroom 5? Thanks all!  Mark

• 1. Re: Export for printing
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Just remove the check tick from "Resize". it is that simple! You will export at full pixel size.

In "File Settings" select your JPG quality on the slider- 100 if you want best.

Any setting in the "ppi" field is irrelevant and meaningless.

Victoria Brampton (aka The Lightroom Queen) has some information here-

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/downloads/bookexcerpts/lr3excerpts/lr3sample-31-ppiresolutio n.pdf

• 2. Re: Export for printing
            markw63330097 Level 1

Thanks for your help, but this isn't true at all. When I remove the check from "resize", I'm still forced to include a resolution between 1 and 65,000 in the "pixels per inch" box.  And when I put in a value of 1, then look at the image size in photoshop, it's a completely different size from 65,000 ppi and every other number. The "ppi" is hardly irrelevant and has a direct effect on the size of the exported jpeg.

I just want to do a simple export to jpeg at my original RAW size like I can do using Aperture 3. How can I do this?

Thanks.

Mark

• 3. Re: Export for printing
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Sorry Mark, but I beg to disagree.

If the "Resize" box is not ticked then the pixel size of your exported file is identical to the original image file.

and you are never "forced" to enter any ppi in that field of the resize panel;.

If you set ppi to 1 then an image 3000pixels wide will appear 3000 inches wide.

If you set ppi to 60000 then an image 3000pixels wide will appear 0.05 inch wide.

BUT the PIXEL SIZE is still the same =3000pixels wide!

Below is a very long Q&A, similar to your question, that I have copied from another post on resizing (and I forget who to credit for this answer)- have a read.

1. Q.        Something has changed in my Export settings and I can't figure it out.  If I insert a file into any application (i.e. PowerPoint, Word, Publisher) that I exported from LR5.7 previous to last week, the images look fine . If I export a new image, the file size is large (10MB), but when I insert it into any application, the image itself is extremely small . I know it is not the picture itself, because I have tried it with images that have worked in the past that worked and now are experiencing the same issue. If I try to resize it in the program the image itself just becomes very distorted and pixelated. Any thoughts on what is wrong or what I screwed. I also included an image of my LR Export window

1. You have set your PPI (resolution) to 5000 pixels per inch. This does not affect the actual number of pixels contained in the image, but it can affect what happens to the image when it is brought into some applications - mainly, applications where the image is being placed onto some kind of a page.

In particular, with "desktop publishing"  type programs, the application assumes that the stated physical size of the image (which is notionally calculated from the number of pixels in the image, combined with the PPI setting) has been "intended". And what you see within the program may not be the actual image, but instead a preview image made for some standardised PPI resolution.

To take a specific example: if you export a 5000px wide photo, and you set 5000ppi, and place it within a page layout program, that program will be thinking of it as a one inch wide image. If it makes a preview image for its own working purposes at 72ppi, then this preview will accordingly be 72 pixels wide - and will therefore look much cruder than your 5000px wide original would have done, as you manipulate this previewed image on screen.

On the other hand, if you export a 5000px wide photo, and you set 50ppi, and do everything else the same - the application will be treating this not as a 1" wide image, but as a 100" wide image, and its preview image (through this difference alone; remembering, the image file is unchanged except for the PPI setting) will in that case, be 7200px wide instead of 72px wide. And you will see every detail of the photo, whether that is appropriate or not... and the publication's saved file size will be much bigger, and it may be slower and more inconvenient to work with due to the sheer number of pixels in this preview,

The usual advice is perfectly correct, that if you have not set a physical size for your export (in inches or centimetres) then the PPI setting is not doing anything so far as the number of pixels in the exported image. But as you have discovered, it may still be a good idea to set this to some more moderate figure - and one very common convention for this, is 300ppi.